Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
PrinceSaliano

WARNER BROS. PRE-CODES

I think many would agree Warner Bros./First National made the grittiest pre-Codes. I wish TCM would show more of 'em more often (e.g., MANHATTAN PARADE; THE MAD GENIUS; HATCHET MAN; FROM HEADQUARTERS; JOURNAL OF A CRIME; THE FIREBIRD)

I sure miss the days when these old pre-codes were common fare at TCM. Watching the Anita Page tribute today has made me remember just how much I miss these old films.

Keep requesting them...Alice White; Richard Barthelmess; Loretta Young; Edward G. Robinson; Ruth Chatterton; Kay Francis; George Brent; Bette Davis; Kay Francis; Lyle Talbot; Glenda Farrell; Joan Blondell; Mervyn LeRoy; Joe E. Brown; James Cagney; Michael Curtiz; et al.

Don't forget Warren William, they've only shown two of his precodes lately, and one just for Anita Page day. I don't understand why they don't have days like that anymore where an engaging minor star gets four of five daytime slots. Alice White has fallen off the face of the earth as far as TCM is concerned, but most of the names you listed had been shown by the eyedropper this year, and mostly not in precodes. They did have nice days of old stars last year, but seemed to drop the number of them this year. Why? So I can see The Love Bug or Freaky Friday again? They didn't do much for me when I was a kid. Disney films were a positive plague on my youth and here's TCM, where I expect adult fare showing what I hated as a kid. Lovely.

I think it's time pre-Code fans take a more proactive stance. I'm really concerned about the number of newer (post-1969) titles being shown on TCM. I propose an ongoing letter-writing campaign (not e-mail) requesting more vintage fare. Before you know it, the films of Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler and David Spade will be popping up on TCM. Then commercials will be added. Pretty soon it will be indistinguishable from AMC. Regardless of what is opined in other threads, TCM is the place for Ann Harding, Constance Bennett, Richard Barthelmess, Kay Francis, Jean Arthur, Warren William, Richard Dix and hopefully soon...Nancy Carroll, Clara Bow, Fredric March, Richard Arlen, Fay Wray, Mae West, W.C. Fields and other Paramount/Universal contractees.

Nothing against the Oscars, but for those "31 Days," TCM largely devolves into the cable equivalent of the oldies station that has a very limited playlist, with "Casablanca" in the role of Aretha Franklin's "Respect." Yawn.

Just like the world of music: the HITS don't make the best travelling companions. Many

fine oldies in the music world, as well as the film world, have gone unrewarded. I'd rather

watch a seldom aired pre-code than another rerun of "Singing in the Rain" ANY DAY.

I don't know about Oscars being "outdated" but we could use some oscar material that has not been shown "Over and Over". I would much rather have an 8 PM show that was an interesting pre-code than the oscars. Whatever they show this week was already viewable about two weeks ago. it's tiresome.

I LOVE Warner Bros. Pre-codes, to me they're the best ones, and I love my pre-codes. It is amazing how much yummy pre-code stuff that were packed into them, and most them go by so quick.