Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why Haven't I Seen More Of. . . . .

Filmographies are a funny thing. Quantity is not necessarily quality. Who do you think would be a bigger star today if they had been blessed with all the meaty roles?

Maybe Teresa Wright, Margaret Sullavan, ?

Who, in your opinion, though very popular can't even act?

In answer to the first question, Robert Ryan would be more well known if he hadn't been unfairly cast so often as a villian.

As to the second, there are way too many to list, so how about Kay Francis, Gary Cooper and Richard Gere just to start things off. As to the worst actor I've ever seen, the Keanu Reeves Award goes to: RICHARD THOMAS.

Oh, what would we do without the "prof." who tells us that Gary Cooper couldn't act? The awards he received were varied and many, but just for the Academy Award he was:

Nominated (1936) for "Mr. Deeds Goes to Town"

Won (1941) for "Sergeant York"

Nominated (1942) for "Pride of the Yankee's"

Nominated (1943) for "For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Won (1952) for "High Noon".

Not too shabby for a man who "couldn't act" to be so well recognized and honored through the years by his peers. ;)ML

Classics, there is no correlation between a performer's acting talents and awards. Most awards shows, particularly the Academy Awards, are run by the studios FOR the studios. It's all politics and has nothing to do with pure talent or ability. But if you choose to believe the hyperbole, that's fine. I choose not to. No award validates anything for me. The landscape is filled with far too many superior performances and films that went unheralded.

With regards to Gary Cooper, no, I don't think he was much of an actor. He had great screen presence, i.e. good "star" material and I enjoy watching him in movies, but like many others, John Wayne, Arnold Schwarzenegger, et al., they are larger than life, but not necessarily taleted thespians. That's the beauty of film as opposed to stage: You don't have to know how to act if the camera likes you.

I have to agree with you, Classic. Personally, I like Gary Cooper a lot. He made each role his own. On the other hand, maybe his popularity is due to the support of the studios. As for John Wayne, I have never cared for him, but I'm not a great fan of Westerns. Maybe I'm just a fool who can't spot real talent. He seemed the same in all his roles (at least in all the films I've seen). Now that I think of it, so did James Dean. James was obviously talented. He could cry on cue, but whether he was "acting" or merely playing himself, I don't know. But I did enjoy all his films. It makes you wonder what he would have accomplished if his life were not cut tragically short.

This is just my opinion. I hope I haven't offended any fans of THE DUKE.

Now you did it prof! I have to put my foot down on this one! Arnold can't act!?? Are you nuts! Are your eyes sewn shut? You obviously had seen Christmas in Connecticut. The range of he and Sinbad was amazing! I compare it to anything Tracy and Gable put on film. And by the way he connects with his kid in the end.

Just kidding - couldn't help myself. And sorry about the ending prof but I figured this would be one of the films you may never want to see and if you had - you won't again.

Hey Pilgrim...oh i mean phillygl24

Your own preferences are yours and thats alright no matter what, but I happen to be a huge Duke fan but i aint mad.

and bggalaxy i think you meant the movie"Jingle all the Way" and yes it was a great performance for Sinbad, he should have at least won an mtv award ;)

Richard Conte. Short, proudly Italian, and seemed rather intelligent. That triple threat combination, the times he lived in, and the dazzling presence of his logical competition, John Garfield, probably contributed to the "just-missed" trajectory of his career.

Good actor, though. I was intrigued by his somewhat superior manner masking a sometimes violent and troubled nature--his smile often seemed to convey a cat toying with a mouse. Standout performances in "A Walk in the Sun", "House of Strangers", "Call Northside 777", "The Sleeping City", and the charming and underrated "Full of Life", among others. He unfortunately wound up in some awful junk toward the end of his career, though he did have a moment in "The Godfather".

Hey phillyg--I never was a John Wayne fan but he's grown on me over the years. And for some reason I have see Hatari about 10 times. I think it's because of the African scenery & the way you can tell the whole movie was fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants story telling. I also like Donovan's Reef & North to Alaska for the same reasons. But for his serious films I like The 3 Godfathers & The Searchers. He did make some good films, but after about 1965 I really can't watch him because he aged really fast & it's hard to watch. I really don't like his war films too much, though. And he needs a hat on rather that a bad rug, which was his problem in the late 60's early 70's films.

"Prof."...thank you for rephrasing your remarks about Gary Cooper to read, "With regards to Gary Gooper, no, I don't think he was much of an actor." I much prefer it when you can express your own personal tastes, rather than toss out a reckless statement like "Cooper couldn't act".

And, I'm quite aware of the "politics" evident in the Academy Awards, which I've always seen as a serious flaw since their inception in 1927. But, the Oscars are still a large part of the History of Hollywood, which I'm sure you are quite aware of as a lofty film historian, critic, and teacher. Before you diss them, please examine them less superficially and you might also expand your appreciation of the obvious "talent and ability" they still often strive to recognize from year to year, era to era, and generation to generation, "hyperbole" or not. ;)ML

Glad you remembered Richard Conte moira. He had a syle all his own with his dark brooding manner. Also good in "Cry of the City", "Thieves' Highway", "The Fighter", "The Brothers Rico" and "Ocean's Eleven" (the original of course).

Mongo

Thanks for reminding me about the good flick, "Thieve's Highway", Mongo. Didn't you think that he was the only character who seemed like a real human in the original "Ocean's Eleven"? Everyone else was stylish--but his character seemed like, well, a mensch.

I agree. Awards are fine, but when it comes right down to it, it's just a paid opinion -- no better than yours or mine. :)

> Classics, there is no correlation between a

> performer's acting talents and awards. Most awards

> shows, particularly the Academy Awards, are run by

> the studios FOR the studios. It's all politics and

> has nothing to do with pure talent or ability. But

> if you choose to believe the hyperbole, that's fine.

> I choose not to. No award validates anything for me.

> The landscape is filled with far too many superior

> r performances and films that went unheralded.

>

> With regards to Gary Cooper, no, I don't think he was

> much of an actor. He had great screen presence, i.e.

> good "star" material and I enjoy watching him in

> movies, but like many others, John Wayne, Arnold

> Schwarzenegger, et al., they are larger than life,

> but not necessarily taleted thespians. That's the

> beauty of film as opposed to stage: You don't have to

> know how to act if the camera likes you.

One of the worst "actresses" I have ever watched on screen is Tanya Roberts....remember "Sheena"? or "A View to a Kill"??? beautiful woman, but horrible, terrible acting...

Shining screen presences...Maggie Sullavan, Walter HUston, Lew Ayres, Aline MacMahon.....

Would like to see more films of shirley booth on tcm .

She's a gifted artist and its time the younger generation

got to know of her.....

Hollywood seemed to keep her in the background i dion't know why ? Maybe because she became a major star which

surprised Hollywood. At a time when Hollywood only saw

her as a character actress in the same realm as Thelma

Ritter?....One can only speculate.

Ms. Booth was great in a film called "About Mrs. Leslie" with Robert Ryan. She played the love of his life, which I'm sure was an unusual role for her to play. If you haven't seen it, be sure to check it out. I also have fond memories of her on "Hazel" back in the 60's.