Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hayleyperrin

Van Johnson!

What's your opinion on Van Johnson? Send me your opinions and pics please ! :)

In my oppinion he was an absolutely amazing actor and my favorite film with him in is "24 Paces To Baker Street" if you have never seen it then make that your goal because it's amazing and it's as if he draws you into the film, it's exciting and it has everything that a good film aught to have.

Van Johnson was a hero for a lot of people, who agrees? He was also an astonishing actor, he caught your attention instantly didn't he? And he was a hit with the woman no doubt!

http://www.upress.state.ms.us/images/books/books/fall2001/van_johnson.jpg

i cant believe my Vani died! im so mad at him for leaving me! i almost started crying today!

first my Junie Allyson left me, now it's Vanji, im so incredibly sad!

he was such a grat actor and i loved every movie he was in, especially the cute romantic ones like:

these are my favorites of his! he was best with Junie allyson in all their films they made together..they made such a loverly pair!

Thrill of a Romance

In the Good Old Summertime

The Bride Goes Wild

Mother is a Freshman

Two Girls and a Sailor

I really love "Miracle In The Rain" "Invitation" and "In The Good Old Summertime". I was hoping to see some sort of tribute to Van Johnson on TCM or on their website and yet nothing. He was one of the most talented actors of his day. Has anyone seen any tributes on TCM for Van Johnson or know if TCM will be showcasing them? I would love to see a Van Johnson Tribute day.

ClassicMovieDame

I think you took one step too far -- it was 23 PACES TO BAKER STREET. ;-) Seriously, Van did first rate supporting work in STATE OF THE UNION -- I even remember his character's name, Spike McManus. And among his leading roles, let's not forget THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS, where he held his own with Elizabeth Taylor.

No problem, I try not to be too much of a nitpicker but sometimes the urge gets the better of me.. The important thing is that you appreciate a really good actor who was often underrated because he was so good-looking.

Message was edited by: faceinthecrowd

When I learned Van Johnson died I was upset. He is one of my favorites. He just seems so lovable, so cuddly, so sexy...I loved it when he was shirtless what a man in The Last Time I saw Paris and his voice I love to hear it and I also have to post I especially love his line to the airplane in 30 Seconds Over Tokyo "Come on baby give" he could say it to me and I would. I am hoping to catch A Guy Named Joe I cried at the end of that movie when I first saw it. I am going to look for 23 Paces to Baker Street on Netflix. I love Van Johnson when he is making love to his leading lady god he was good. Like The Last Time I saw Paris he romances both of those sisters and he and the gals steam up the screen without bad words or nudity. He clutches Donna Reed's arm and you know what he is thinking, feeling and when Elizabeth Taylor plants a kiss on him the scene just sizzles and did I mention the changing of his shirt in this movie HOT, HOT, HOT. I would like to see the movies van made that were straight dramatic roles, not romantic roles but dramatic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Van does great work in STATE OF THE UNION. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but it's worth repeating. He holds his own in some pretty fast company: Tracy, Hepburn, Lansbury, Menjou. It's a supporting role, but an important one, and Van gets the chance to show his dramatic range.

> {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> Have you seen "Battleground"?

No but it is listed on Van's movies at the netflix website so I'll have to see if I selected it and if not I will. I think I saw it listed there...

> {quote:title=gwtwbooklover wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=metsfan wrote:}{quote}

> > Have you seen "Battleground"?

> No but it is listed on Van's movies at the netflix website so I'll have to see if I selected it and if not I will. I think I saw it listed there...

Yes ! I had ordered it hope I enjoy it. Thanks for the recommendation. Thank You Van for the memories!!

HaleyP: I believe your question was "what was your opinion of Van Johnson"?

Personally I never cared for him or his acting. Trust me, at my age I have seen ALL his movies. Maybe THE LAST TIME I SAW PARIS. I liked his part in that movie, but that is the only one that comes to mind. He was just too goody goody for me. I fell for the stronger, masculine types. If I saw him in the movie, it was because I went to the theater for the movie or another actor/actress that was also in the picture.

Please don't get all upset, that I didn't care for Van Johnson. He was a fine person and I am sorry that he is no longer with us. I am sure we are not all in agreement of our likes and dislikes of certain thespians.

I was never a big fan of Aldo Ray, but thought he did an outstanding job in his role in BATTLEGROUND. I would love seeing the movie again.

MY BAD! I just remembered it was BATTLE CRY, Aldo Ray was in. Now I know I do need to see BATTLEGROUND again. Sorry.

My favorite Van Johnson performance is *In the Good Old Summertime*. It's my favorite Judy Garland film, as well. I prefer it and them to the original film and its stars.

My favorite "I Love Lucy" is the one set in LA where she dances with Van Johnson. Also, liked Lucy and Van in "Yours, Mine and Ours". Loved Van in all his movies, but my favorite is "The Human Comedy" where he plays the eldest son who is in WWII.

Message was edited by: lidash

Message was edited by: lidash

I loved Van Johnson in "Easy to Wed."

"A man can do anything a baboon can do." I wait for that line. He'll be missed.

I've been watching Van Johnson all day so I thought I would bump this up. And now, Spring Byington in Banner Line! Always a pleasure to watch her work.

Remember that Van Johnson was in the top 2 or 3 box office stars around the end of WW II, when many of the male stars were in the service.