Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE WHITE SISTER (1923) To Premier On TCM in ealy 2009!!!

Big, Big News! Henry King's THE WHITE SISTER (Metro, 1923) Staring Lillian Gish, and Ronald Coleman, will be premiering on the North American TCM in early 2009 with a brand New musical score! While this is great news, THE WHITE SISTER did actually have two melodies a Fox-trot and a Tango composed for it's original release. It would be nice to see those retained, though it seems doubtful that this will happen. Still exciting news in any event.

Here is the link with the full story!

http://blogs.lawrence.edu/news/2008/12/lawrence_universitys_neustadte_1.html

WhiteSisterVintageLobbyCard1923.jpg

Ed,

I have seen the TCM print of THE WHITE SISTER and it looks great! Over a year ago, I predicted right here that this would be the next film selected for the then Annual Young Film Composers Competition. Then the event was apparently and unexpectedly canceled. Ultimately, I guess that I called it? Wonderful to learn that it is now actually in the works!

Could we really be see this early in the coming year, as was previously announced with Chaney's Benjamin Christiansen's THE MOCKERY? Sure hope so? Won't be Febuary as that is Oscar Month. Now if we could just get word on THE BIG PARADE? And dare we hope, HER WILD OAT or maybe even THE COSSACKS?

Jorge,

It's possible, but PEG 'O MY HEART probably doesn't have big enough names in the cast? I would think a really good possibility would be TWELVE MILES OUT. Plus they seem to have anything with Joan Crawford scored, even when it isn't very good like THE BOOB (1926), and SPRING FEVER (1927). At any rate, I still hope it's Colleen Moore's HER WILD OAT!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope the new score meets with everyone's approval. But if not, just be kind. You're talking about a student at my hometown University. We folks from Appleton are very proud of that school.

Here's another recent article about the *The White Sister* project from the hometown paper of the composer -

http://www.htrnews.com/article/20081228/MAN04/812280440/1398

Kyle In Hollywood (by way of Appleton, WI)

hlywdkjk,

Assuming this link is stll valid, here is a sample of a tune composed for the original release of this movie back in 1923. And performed as a live Accordion-solo.

Two melodies were actually written specifically for the Lillian Gish classic. One was a Foxtrot by Dionisio Lofredo (dedicated to Miss Gish), which I am sorry to say I do not have. The other was the following Tango called "La Monjita":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xid3GPawxHQ

It would have been nice if both vintage compositions could have somehow been integrated into the new score. Though I assume this hasn't happened.

• 2 weeks later...

Very exciting news!!! I've heard the VHS release of this in the 1990's was a bad print and without musical score besides so I've never bought it. Those screen captures look great.

TCM's schedules are up through April - could it possibly air in May or June?

paramount,

Well, we should be getting either THE WHITE SISTER, or BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT by May. At least I hope that we will. Additionally, TCM Premier's of Lon Chaney's THE MOCKERY (1927), and possibly the newly restored version of King Vidor's THE BIG PARADE are also in the works.