Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ILoveRayMilland

The Lost Ending To It's A Wonderful Life

I am very sorry if you thought that was insulting to "IAWL" (a film I love). If I thought it was offensive I would NOT have posted it!

I'm not a fan of SNL either, but my family has always loved this clip...we do have a rather strange humor though ;-) . I was hoping somebody else on the boards would think this was funny too.

I am truly sorry if everyone thinks this is insulting!

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

> I am very sorry if you thought that was insulting to "IAWL" (a film I love). If I thought it was offensive I would NOT have posted it!

>

> I'm not a fan of SNL either, but my family has always loved this clip...we do have a rather strange humor though ;-) . I was hoping somebody else on the boards would think this was funny too.

>

> I am truly sorry if everyone thinks this is insulting!

I wasn't insulted, it's what Potter needed to have happen to him! ;)

Its not insulting, its classic Saturday Night Live. They been doing skits on movies since the 1970's i.e. "Jaws".

Did you see the short IAWL skit in the movie "Caspers Haunted Christmas" where a CGI Jimmy Stewart slammed into a lamp pole after discovering he's alive again. (hello lamp pole).

SNL's latest political skit is on Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich. Bleep, bleep, bleep.

As someone who advocates violence as a solution to most problems, I wholeheartedly endorse this ending.

Hey All,

This is not exactly on the topic of this thread BUT.....How come HOW could TCM NOT play Its a Wonderful Life over XMAS Sometime...YOU have got to be kidding.....ALSO what THE heck is up with there lineup this year...XMAS DAY all day UGH!!!! 4 hour religous movies.....Yikes, but how the HECK does TCM not have this GREAT, CLASSIC...heeellooooo movie on XMAS....eve or day....

Saying that, MERRY XMAS ALL!!

Ava :-)

Message was edited by: AvaG92260

NBC has the exclusive rights to IAWL, which they manage to stretch to THREE HOURS with commercials. They usually show it on Christmas Eve. I was traveling last night and was stuck in a hotel in Atlanta on a stormy night and watched it -- those incessant ads really make you appreciate TCM (which, of course, the hotel didn't carry).

Chip,

thank you for that information but STILL thats only one night they could have put it in the line up today....somewhere and i remember watching it on TCM on xmas before...i STILL think there choice for xmas stuck..including today and last night....with all the movies they had to choose from....UGH!

Merry Xmas to you..

Ava

I actually liked it and was rooting for the beat down. :)

I also have a strange sense of humor ;)

Ava,

I should have said how much I, too, find those long Bible epics boring. TCM has been good about showing my Christmas favorites this year, like *Meet Me in St. Louis* and *Christmas in Connecticut* , but on Christmas Day I found myself reaching for the DVD of *Miracle on 34th Street* .

Hope you all had a terrific Christmas.

I saw this years ago when it first was on TV. SNL has had alot of funny Christmas bits, and this was a funny one. I love It's A Wonderful Life but what if after this heartfelt ending, absent minded Uncle Billy remembered he accidently gave the old savings and loans money to Mr Potter. Suddenly this holiday cheer turns to revenge on this awful man. I love how the whole town comes crashing in on Potter and the Jimmy Stewart immitation is funny. ...I always liked Rich Little and Frank Gorshin, David Frye and such. Shows like SNL and SCTV were great immitations. That Dave Thomas was the only person I ever saw that could do Bob Hope. Bob Hope and Johnny Carson nailed Rich Little one night how he and nobody else can do Bob Hope. Well, Dave Thomas on SCTV nailed it. I wish he was still on TV doing a phoney Bob Hope Christmas Show with it. SNL had a good one when Tom Hanks immitated a Dean Martin Christmas Show including The Gold Diggers.

I don't see this as any more of an insult to a classic than Carol Burnett and her bits about Gone With The Wind and such. ......Shows like SNL, SCTV, Mad TV, In Living Color...to name a few....have kept the sketch comedy alive that I grew up watching on shows like Carol Burnett, Red Skelton, Jackie Gleason, Dean Martin and such.....I'm glad TV comedy hasn't been totaly reduced to sitcoms. OK, I Love Lucy was funny, but most sitcoms aren't. I find most of these family sitcoms to be very routine and without much thought behind them. A young couple and some kids, thats a sitcom, big deal......So heres to the comedy writers still going strong on TV in these SNL type shows that are a throw back to the old variety shows.

A TV show once did " A Christmas Carol, Part II " ....it had James Whitmore in it as Scrooge. .....It's Christmas Eve the next year and the ghosts return. " Is this to be an annual event " Scrooge asks.......The ghosts show how Scrooge has went from miser to town fool and is now letting people take advantage of him. ......The last ghost is the grim reaper, and Scrooge asks this ghost why it never speaks. The grim reaper replies, " I have a cold ". ......Tiny Tim has grown up to be a spoiled brat and the grim reaper shows Scrooge his tombstone again, but now it says Ebenezer Screege. " This is worse than last year, at least the tombstone was spelled right last year ", Scrooge tells the ghost. ........So Scrooge wakes up and the kids asks if he wants the biggest goose in the window as last year. "No", says Scrooge, " Just a goose big enough for their family, nothing more, and bring back the change this year ". The message Scrooge learns is that charity doesn't have to make him the town patsy

I love this kind of stuff because there is more thought behind it than some sitcom about one of the kids getting a D in math or the usual nothingness of most sitcoms.......So may Christmas Future bring us more funny holiday stuff. Much better than the tired soap operas with a Christmas tree setting thrown in.

Message was edited by: WhyaDuck

That part about " A Christmas Carol, Part II ", I wonder was they trying to point out that some people who lives in poverty brought that situation on themselves.

Examples is people who are simply too lazy to work, lazy people who use helpless children as a meal ticket from their government, alcoholics, people who were fired because they stole from their employers and cannot get any job recommendations, etc.

They were trying to point out Charles Dickens made Scrooge tight waded attitude towards people too dark. I remember from a movie (can't remember the title) that a guy said "Scrooge was a misunderstood man".

Bob Crachet IS the example of the group of people who wants to break his back and work but Tiny Tim became ungratefull, doesn't this sounds a lot like TODAYS KIDS?

The part about wanting a too big of a turkey shows one of the reasons that is bringing on todays economic woes, *not living within one's means*.

Taking advantage of people like the James Whitmore character is too common.

The point of " A Christmas Carol, Part II " is that not every situation is black and white.

It should have been called " A Christmas Carol, Part II, Truth be Told".

Actually," A Christmas Carol, Part II " was a half hour TV comedy in the 1980s. I guess if there was a point, it was charity within reason. Or maybe, a hidden message is don't max out the credit cards over Christmas......but mostly it was a comedy with alot of gags and comics in it. It wasn't to be hard on the poor either and it wasn't. It was just a comdey and they used the ghosts returning the next Christmas because Scrooge was now the town sucker and they taught him moderation. I do think Whitmore as Scrooge says something at the end like, " Not miser or fool, but bussinessman yet fair and honest" ....But it was just a half hour TV comedy, and nothing as heavy as putting the blame on the poor. .....It was a comedy that kept it light an in the spirit of Christmas.

It was a TV show in the mid 1980s that only lasted half a season.I don't know the name. Much like Twighlight Zone to Sci-Fi, this show tried to have a different comedy with different actors and comics each week. Completely different each week. The fact that the show got cancelled quickly shows that the public doersn't want different but will watch a show like Andy Griffith up into it being on life support with Mayberry RFD. ......So whatever the name of this short lived comedy series in the 1980s was, one of it's few shows was this Christmas comedy episode. So its intention was for the most part comedy and maybe the other comedys weren't as good as this one. Much like the Alfred Hitchcock TV show, some were beter than others. ...Just one episode in a TV show that got cancelled half way through the season.

I only used it and Carol Burnett as examples of why SNL is not out of line doing comedy about old movies or Christmas. It's been done before for years.

>Its not insulting, its classic Saturday Night Live. They been doing skits on movies since the 1970's i.e. "Jaws".

( Knock on door )

Woman: ( approaching cautiously ) "Who is It?"

Voice: ( high and squeaky, obviously put on ) "Delivery Man."

Woman: ( concerned ) "I didn't order anything."

( Pause )

Voice: ( high and squeaky ) "Delivery Man."

Woman: ( nervously ) "What do you have?. I didn't order anything, I said."

(Pause)

Voice ( high and squeaky ): "Delivery Man."

Woman: "Look, I didn't order anything and if you think

I'm going to open this door, you're crazy, now beat it."

( Pause )

Voice ( high and squeaky ): "Delivery Man."

Woman ( exasperated ) opens the door.

Woman: "AAUURRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!."

CHOMP, CHOMP, CHOMP

Who says a pair of jaws has to be in water.

Love it.