Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quiz: What movie is this line from?

Born Yesterday is right. The first quote was spoken by Broderick to Judy, but he meant to refer to him by his last name of Verell (sp?) and instead called him virile. The second quote Judy said to Bill Holden. Sorry for any confusion about the post in reference to winning an Oscar for a comedy; I was referring only to the actress in question and not the actor. Thanks for playing. Your turn.

The movie is *Gigi*, spoken by Aunt Alicia (Isabel Jeans) to Gigi during one of her lessons to be a coutesan. Aunt Alicia has a number of good lines; also "bad table manners have broken up more households than infidelity."

Some *Gigi* trivia: In the movie, the exterior of Aunt Alicia's apartment building is No. 29 avenue Rapp. It won first prize in an architectual facade competition in 1901and is considered one of the finest examples of Art Nouveau architecture in the world. It still contains private apartments and is still a popular Paris tourist attraction.

Near the beginning of the movie we see Gaston (Louis Jourdon) in his home, with both interior and exterior shots. Situated in the heart of the city, near the Eiffel Tower, it is now an art museum: Musee Jacquemart-Andre. It was built in the mid-1800's by a very wealthy Paris banker and art collector. The mansion is huge and one of the grandest homes ever built in the city, on a par with Napolean's private apartments in the Louvre. The house, all interiors and its extensive art collection was bequeathed to the Intitut de France, on condition it become a public museum. We see Gaston in the Grand Salon. He sure had some nice digs!

Maurice Chevalier's character has a spectacular Art Nouveau apartment. It must be a real apartment, not a set. We don't see any exterior shots. I'd love to know where it is.

Maxim's is now just a tourist attraction so I've never been there. I don't know if the scenes in the film are real or a set.

*Gigi* is coming to TCM soon. Watch for these and other great locations than can still be seen in Paris. And listen for more of Aunt Alicia's wonderful one-liners!

"Gigi" is right, Film. I didn't expect anyone to get it so soon. Here's another quip by her as she was teaching Gigi:

"It doesn't matter who gives them as long as you never wear anything second rate. Wait for the first class jewels. Hold on to your ideals"..

Your thread...and glad to have you aboard.

May we use dialogue?

*"I have the most beautiful hands in the world. That's why, my dear, I don't do menial work like the rest of them here"*

*"You mean occupational therapy? It's supposed to be good for you."*

*"You're quite wrong my dear, it isn't good for me."*

*"I didn't mean you. I meant the 'you' one substitutes for 'one.' -- The general 'you.' "*

*"General who?"*

*"Oh, Pershing!"*

In addition to the movie, try to name the two actresses (one is the star of the film).

Thanks.

Speaker #1: I know everything I need to know about you. I love you. I know you're good, and kind. I know you're colored and I...

Speaker #2: What's that?

Speaker #1: ...And I think you're beautiful!

Speaker #2: Beautiful? Most people would say the opposite.

Speaker #1: Well that's because they don't know you.