Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quiz: What movie is this line from?

"They call this country Hell's Gate. When my dad came in here it was nothing but savage Indians. And Jusuits. Old Thomas Jefferson said he was a warrier so his son could be a farmer so his son could be a poet. And I raise cattle so my son can be a merchant so his son can move to Newport, Rhode Island and buy a sailboat and never see one of these bas*ard-a*s son of a bit*hing mountains again."

(Later in the conversation, "Old Thomas Jefferson" is identified as "a fella back East.")

Mid-1970s offbeat Western.  Some really big names in the cast (but not the speaker quoted).  Badly received; considered a "bomb"

Closing the question

1976's The Missouri Breaks.  James Green, in the role of "Hellsgate Rancher", had the quoted line.  As for the giveaway clue, Marlon Brando, in the role of a "Regulator" donned a dress in order to get close to a horse rustler and blow him away.

Open thread.

• 2 weeks later...

next:

I'm Van Gogh painting pure sunlight. I'm Horowitz playing the Emperor Concerto. I'm John Barrymore before the movies got him by the throat. I'm Jesse James and his two brothers. All three of 'em.

??

next:

I'm Van Gogh painting pure sunlight. I'm Horowitz playing the Emperor Concerto. I'm John Barrymore before the movies got him by the throat. I'm Jesse James and his two brothers. All three of 'em.

??

hint: 1945

Thanks, Sixes.  Next up:

"Money is the world's curse."

"May the Lord strike me with it!  And may I never recover!"

Film?  Speakers?

A nearby line, different speaker:

"May the authorities start to itch in places they can not reach!"

Thanks, Sixes.  Next up:

"Money is the world's curse."

"May the Lord strike me with it!  And may I never recover!"

Film?  Speakers?

wazzat Fiddler on the Roof ('71), 'Perchik (Paul Glaser) to 'Tevye' (Topol)?