Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Did you get/give anything classic film related for Christmas?

Nice!

My family got so many DVD's (specifically seasons of classic tv) it's almost bad! LOL!

I personally got *The Complete Gidget* (movies) *Collection* and *The Man With The Golden Arm* . (Two VERY different film types....hahaha!)

My best friend got me a James Dean calendar, which was very funny because I got her the two disc special edition of *East Of Eden* and neither of us knew what the other was getting!

> {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> I got one DVD box set. Abbott & Costello - The Complete Universal Pictures Collection.

Interesting. I got the DVD set of all their television episodes, with bonus features, one of which is a short called 10,000 KIds and a Cop, which they made in 1948. I haven't watched it yet, but James Stewart narrates and William Bendix appears as a cop.

Good morning! Hope you all have had a wonderful holiday!

As Film Fatale has indicated, her Christmas came a little early this year.

So did mine!

Every Christmas I take advantage of being a member of Columbia House. And since I still have well over 200 classic films on VHS, I am trying to replace those VHS tapes on a one to one basis with DVD purchases.

This year I purchased the following for myself. I really do not like to ask people to buy DVDs for me, they always seem to buy me the most recent films, not films I have on a list.

The Bishop?s Wife

Fail-Safe

From the Terrace

Going My Way

The Lion in Winter

Lost Weekend

A Man For All Seasons

The Man From Laramie

McLintock!

The Ox-Bow Incident

Patton

Red River

Seven Days in May

Sink the Bismarck!

I know that many would not consider some or most of these films ?classic?. But I do.

The newest one on the list is 38 years old (Patton). But that does not really factor into my decision. I am on a mission here. And that mission is to replace as many of my VHS tapes as I can. Also, this past year I purchased the superb HBO mini series John Adams.

I received the Casablanca gift set. That thing is awesome and was a highlight of my Christmas gifts. I also got the Dark Knight which I know isnt a classic -but it was another DVD I got. It could be a classic someday .. (?)

I gave a lot of movies for Christmas

For my mom I bought her Death On the Nile, Evil Under the Sun, Sahara, Nero Wolfe -the entire series and for a friend of mine who likes classic horror/adventure I got him the Tarzan Volume 1 and 2 sets while Amazon had them on sale as well as The Hideous Sun Demon, The Brain From Planet Arous, the silent version of the Cat and the Canary...

That?s wonderful!

Sounds like you ?gave as good as you got?.

I gave my brother in law a four disc set of war hero movies:

A Bridge Too Far, The Great Escape, Run Silent Run Deep, and The Battle of Britain.

I gave my sister in law a five disc set of Audrey Hepburn films:

Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Funny Face, Paris When It Sizzles, and Breakfast at Tiffany?s.

They were very excited, but their two teenagers had no clue who Audrey Hepburn was and did not know what the war movies were about either. Pretty funny and very sad when you think about it.

> {quote:title=fxreyman wrote:}{quote}

> ...but their two teenagers had no clue who Audrey Hepburn was...

That IS sad!

A few weeks ago a girl at my co-op tried to convince me that Audrey only ever wore her hair in a bun (ala *"Breakfast At Tiffany's"* ). I thought was that was awful! But, not even knowing who Audrey is, is tragic!

My best friend is fifteen and if I hadn't been such a classic movie fan, she would NOT have known who a lot of people are, because no one else she knows likes "old" movies. But, instead she loves Hitchcock, Nick and Nora Charles, Doris Day, Grace Kelly, and Audrey Hepburn!

Funny you should ask I received from my youngest son Songs from the movies not by the original artists but it sounds good still. There are versions of Singing in the Rain, the theme from Shaft, Superman, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, Rocky and the love theme from Titanic. It is a 3 disc set and he was pleased I listened to it while I was up till 4 am baking pumpkin pies.

I got *Presenting Lily Mars* on DVD, the only Judy Garland DVD available I didn't have. I gave *Meet Me in St. Louis* to a friend who was going to visit family in St. Louis (and who has never seen the movie), *Umbrellas of Cherbourg* to a friend who lived in Paris (but has never seen the movie), *Breakfast at Tiffany's* to my nephew's girlfriend, and...uh...*I Am Legend* to an uncle whose tastes aren't quite in line with mine.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=molo14 wrote:}{quote}

> > I got one DVD box set. Abbott & Costello - The Complete Universal Pictures Collection.

>

> Interesting. I got the DVD set of all their television episodes, with bonus features, one of which is a short called 10,000 KIds and a Cop, which they made in 1948. I haven't watched it yet, but James Stewart narrates and William Bendix appears as a cop.

I just checked that set out. It looks good. I don't think I've seen very much of their television work.

The only classic movie-related gift I gave this year is a set of Marilyn Monroe in the bathtub photos for a friend to decorate her bathroom with. I usually do give movies or movie-related books, so it is strange that this is all I gave this time.

On the other hand, I always receive loads of classic movie items, especially Marilyn. This year was no different!

MARILYN: A puzzle, slimline calendar, 2 First Day Covers of the US-issued Marilyn stamp, a purse, a book (Images of Marilyn Monroe), and a gag gift - a set of 3 pairs of Marilyn Monroe thong underwear! (never to be worn, for SO many reasons!)

DVDs: *The Philadelphia Story* - I mainly wanted it for the documentaries, which did not disappoint!, *The Jungle Book* which is one of my very favourite Disney films, and *The Spiral Staircase* - TCM won't air it in Canada - someone else must hold the license for broadcast here - and when it popped up on The Essentials listing, it looked very interesting to me, so I added it to my Amazon wishlist and someone picked it for me! Plus there is a friend who says he has movies to deliver to us later, and I know at least a couple will be classics!

BOOKS: Just one this year - Robert Wagner's autobiography *Pieces of My Heart*, which will deal partially with classic movies.

My husband gave me the Warner Bros. "Tracy & Hepburn-Signature Collection".....includes Adam's Rib, Woman of the Year, Pat & Mike, and her tribute to Tracy-The Spencer Tracy Legacy. 4 DVDs....have seen them all before of course...but it was a wonderful surprise!!

I Got:

My Partner got me the book: _LANA: The Memories, the Myths, the Movies_ by Cheryl Crane & 1 Lana Turner film, _Ziegfeld Girl_ (1941)!!! Niiiiiiiiiice!!

A 2009 Wall Calendar With Vintage Movie Posters for Each Month.

The Book: _Complete Films of Cary Grant_ by Donald Deschner.

A friend was in an antique shop and got me 3 B/W 8X10 film stills.

2 of the film stills are from _Gone With The Wind_ & the 3rd film still is very unusual, it is a film still from: _Waterloo Bridge_ (1940) With Robert Taylor & Vivien Leigh.

My Other-Dad, gave me:

Fox in a Box: _Coffy_. _Foxy Brown_, _Sheba Baby_. The DVD box set also came W./a fourth bonus disc that?s exclusive to this set. It contains two new featurettes (each running under 20 minutes) both presented by Vibe magazine: ?Pam Grier: Super Foxy? and ?Blaxploitation to Hip-Hop.

Also, my dad got me: _The Dark Knight_ (2008) - Years from now this will be called: CLASSIC!

_A Christmas Story_: Ultimate Collector's Edition, included is an apron, cookie cutters & recipe cookbook in a metal tin!! What is funny 1 of the recipes is for: Chinese Turkey (Duck)!! LOL!

My Partner is a big.....I mean "HUGE" James Bond fan I got him Roger Moore's book:

_My Word Is My Bond_ by Roger Moore.

> {quote:title=ILoveRayMilland wrote:}{quote}

>

> My best friend is fifteen and if I hadn't been such a classic movie fan, she would NOT have known who a lot of people are, because no one else she knows likes "old" movies. But, instead she loves Hitchcock, Nick and Nora Charles, Doris Day, Grace Kelly, and Audrey Hepburn!

That's so cool, ILRM! You never know who will become a fan. All it takes sometimes

is exposure of them to an open mind.