Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Child Stars

I forgot all about "Jane Eyre" - Peggy was good, as was Liz Taylor (and stunningly beautiful, even as a girl). I think Agnes Moorehead played her wicked aunt. Come to think of it, that whole damn movie is good! You can't go wrong with Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles, who were both perfect for their roles. I think Fox Movies plays it every so often.

Yeah ...I taped it long ago from Fox Channel...but full of commercial cuts...No comparision to TCM...the only commercial free classic channel...

I think that was one of the only movies (Jane Eyre) were Orson Welles ever played sth. like a "romantic" leading role...

I have to give kudos to Dean Stockwell and Jackie Cooper, who went beyond child star to teen and young adult actors and continued their professionalism as they became older adults. It shows it can be done!

I always loved Shirley Temple, and was glad to see she hosted the AFI special a few years back.

I didn't get to see a lot of Jane Withers' older movies, but I got such a kick out of her when I was a kid, watching the old Comet commercials, that she gets a special mention.

Our Gang...man, Roach knew what he was doing. Outside of Cooper, Dickie Moore may have been one of the main ones to go on beyond the gang and succeed. I loved seeing Alfalfa in "It's a Wonderful Life," and regret greatly that his life ended prematurely and in such torrid circumstances. And everybody loves Darla. She's the angel on the Christmas tree in "Bohemian Girl." I loved those crossovers at the Roach studio.

Don't want to forget Charlotte Henry (I think that's her name), either. She was Bo-Peep in Laurel and Hardy's vastly superior "Babes in Toyland" and Alice of the Paramount production of "Alice in Wonderland." She wasn't my favorite, but there is something about her, and evidently Hollywood agreed. I loved her scene with W.C. Fields...as Humpty Dumpty.

• 2 weeks later...

Shirley Temple, JoAnn Marlowe (she's the beautiful little girl that played Kay in "Mildred Pierce), Tommy Rettig (in not only the Lassie series but in "River of No Return"). Unfortunately I haven't seen "The Kid" that y'all are referring to about Jackie Coogan, but maybe I will now that it's mentioned. Natalie Wood was a cute little child actress.

Rhonda, you will have a chance to see "The Kid" (1921) with Chaplin and Jackie Coogan on May 25 at 10:00 PM Eastern on TCM. Please make a note of this and don't miss it. It's one of Chaplin's best, and you will love Jackie Coogan. Chaplin adored him, and it shows throughout the movie. A word of caution...have a box of kleenex handy.

Another movie this month with a child actor mentioned on our boards many times, "The Window" (1949) with Bobby Driscoll will air on TCM on May 6 at 8:00 AM Eastern.

And, if you haven't seen it, I also recommend "The Bad Seed" (1956) with Patty McCormack, which will air on May 16 at 2:00 PM Eastern.

ML

I am a big fan of the girl child stars of the 1910's 20's 30's 40's 50's 60's. Am pretty much an authority on them and have wanted to do a book on them all,a nice chock full of photos and info on each of them. I know there is a big book on the boy stars so, its time for one on the girls.

Some favorites are of course the big one,little Shirley temple, Sybil Jason, Joan Carroll, Ann E. Todd, Ann Carter, Sharyn Moffett, Carolyn Lee, Baby Peggy, Virginia Davis, Connie Marshall, Margaret O' Brien, Jane Withers and many others!

I have a huge photo collection worth thousands and includes some original autographed photos such as from Ann E. Todd, and Connie Marshall.

Most people think the golden age of Hollywood was the grownup stars like Clark Gable and Jean Harlow and all the others but, the girl (and even boy) child stars are just as big a part of the golden age of Hollywood as the adult stars are!

I am sure many of the names I have listed are ones you have heard of or, its possible they are names you never heard of but, I can assure you that you have seen them in many movies you have watched.

I of course have many movies with these child starlets and some very rare.

Well I hope you enjoyed my words, I just wanted to share with you my favorites and all.

childstarletsfan it's good to see you back on the boards again. It's been a long time. I recall that you had your own thread at one time which I enjoyed and participated in. I also enjoyed your wonderful child star site with some terrific pictures.

Perhaps you can tell us what Connie Marshall and Janis Wilson are up to these days.

Mongo

Hi Mongo

About Connie Marshall and Janis Wilson, sadly there is nothing on them. its sad how it seems all these child stars,seem to vanish once they grow up. There are way too many that we just do not know their whereabouts and what they do now.

For me tho, whats important is the way they were, and thanks to the movies and photos, they are preserved for always as the sweet and adorable little stars they were.

Oh Mongo, I forgot to mention to you that I am not the same childstarletsfan-you are thinking of. But I did know him. He has been away to another country last he had told me 2 years ago. When i was in contact with him during the time he was posting here and, i too was posting as well, I had sent him some real rare video stuff which he was excited to have!

I do miss him as he was great and he and I had some great talks on here.

After watching again "Our Vines Have Tender Grapes" last evening, I'm reminded that Jackie "Butch" Jenkins was quite the child actor, and I think that Mongo might be the only person so far to mention him. In this movie, he played a kid you'd love to see his parent up-end and paddle! I remember him, too, in "The Human Comedy". His career was relatively short, but it was good while it lasted. My very favorite, however, will always be Freddie Bartholomew. And, it was such a joy to see him again as an adult in the MGM: The Lion Roars specials last month. ML

Hi childstarlets fan,

I too am a big fan of the girl child stars of the same years as you like and I too have a huge collection of photos and movies. its amazing how your screenname is close to what mine is!!

Would like to contact you by E-mail if thats ok with you as I think we could have a lot of enjoyment in sharing about the girl child stars we like.

Many of the names you listed are the same ones I like and have a lot on.

I will check back here later in case you respond as I want to see if you would want me to E-mail you so that I can write you all about my collections.

Thanks!

classicstarletsfan

Maybe M.L. or childstarlets can tell us what was of Mitzi Green, one of Paramount's early 30's child stars...I'd be delighted to know more info about her...

Are you also fans of the young Mary Brian ...when she acted in silents in the 1920's (Peter Pan et al)... well she debuted when she was 17 or 18 years old, but anyway she played Wendy opposite Betty Bronson's "Pan"....another fave of mine... although I haven't had the oppurtunity to watch most of her films.... Mary Brian turned into a lovely leading lady, throughout the 1930s, and looked as beautiful as Frances Dee was...thier had similar looks IMHO

Feaito...I can't help you with the two names you list. I know nothing of them that can't probably be rooted out at IMDb, so you probably know more about them than I do if you remember them, and the movies they were in. I tend to know only the most familiar kids from late 30's, 40's, and 50's. Today in Mongo's Birthday thread, Richard Eyers was listed, and I remember him, for example, because I'm so familiar with "Friendly Persuasion", a popular movie for most of us living in America. ;)ML

feaito regarding Mitzi Green I got this info from "Who's Who in Hollywood".

Famous child star often referred to as "Little Mitzi" - or as critics hailed her in 1930s "Honey", "amazing little Mitzi Green". She hit her starring stride that same year as Becky Thatcher in Coogan's "Tom Sawyer" and soon played the title role in "Little Orphan Annie". Some of Mitzi's other films were "Skippy", "Huckleberry Finn", "Finn and Hattie", "Newly Rich", "Dude Ranch", etc. Leaving the screen in her late teens she starred on Broadway in "Billion Dollar Baby". She returned to the screen in 1952 and supported Abbott and Costello in "Lost in Alaska". Sadly she died at age 48.

Mongo

Thanks for answering ML.

Friendly Persuasion....a great film, I loved it...with Gary Cooper and D. McGuire... a very young Tony Perkins was in it too....

I've always been intrigued about Mitzi Green...she had a short period of child-stardom...I'd love to see her acting in a movie....she was in early versions of both "Tom Sawyer" and "Huck' Finn" with Jackie Coogan...and in "Skippy" with Jackie Cooper and Robert Coogan (Jackie's brother)....I'd love to watch this early Paramount stuff.....

Mitzi was great and so funny!! I have one of her rare movies which is a hoot, this one is FINN AND HATTIE . in this movie, Mitzi's mother is, of all people Zazu Pitts. Her father is Leon Errol.This is pretty much what the movie is about, and it is a real fun one too:

a child genius has fun getting her cousin into trouble. The bright girl's parents take her and her nephew on a sea cruise to Paris. En route, the girl treats the boy abominably. First she pushes him over the boat, then she stuffs him down an airshaft. Later she sticks his head in a fishbowl. When she is not bedeviling her cousin, she is helping her father get out of trouble with con artists.

This is one of the great Paramount movies Mitzi made and is one that would be fantastic for TCM to air if they could borrow it from Paramount. There are so many laughs in this one.

The plot sounds just amazingly entertaining classicstarlets...thanks for sharing!... I love ZaSu Pitts too...I agree with you that TCM should borrow this gems from Paramount....well, from Universal, who owns the rights for most of Paramount's '30s films...

• 2 weeks later...

Another child actor I must memtion here...is the sweet, endearing Ted Donaldson, who played "Pinky", the owner of the "dancing caterpillar" in Columbia's lovely tale starring Cary Grant and very pretty Janet Balir, "Once Upon A Time" (1944)...One of the most cherished films from my childhood...When the dvd came out I couldn't help buying it....It's a great, sentimental film...and Ted gives a heart-wrenching performance.

Of course for those that can't recall child actor Ted Donaldson he played Peggy Ann Garner's kid brother Neely

in "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn". He was certainly a natural child actor.

Mongo

Mongo,

As always, thanks for your feedback, and for sharing your huge knowledge with us all.

Sadly I've never watched that marvellous film you mention...i has so many great actors in it: Joan Blondell, James Dunn, Peggy Ann, Ted, Do. McGuire, Lloyd Nolan, the eternal James Gleason....Has TCM ever showed it? I know it's a Fox film, but they coul have leased or borrowed it???

feaito you must make it a point to see "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"! It is a wonderful story about a struggling family with fine performances especially by Oscar winner James Dunn. Rent it if you have the time. You won't be sorry.

Mongo

Add George Winslow, the little boy with the funny voice who worked for FOX in the early 50s. He was screamingly funny opposite Monroe in GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES. His sequences with her still make me hysterical, especially the entire scene where he is trying to pull Monroe through a small porthole of the ship.

True edge...had forgotten that scene!!!..

No Netflix here Mongo...and Blockbuster hasn't got it in my country...so my only chance is to catch it on TV or buy it!!!,,,that's why I buy so much stuff...