Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Your Favorite Child Stars

bggalaxy, the freckle-faced cutie Jackie 'Butch' Jenkins, hated being in front of the camera. And yes, when the pressure became too much, he developed a stutter, at which time MGM released him. He was last on screen in 1948.

Sadly he died without fan-fare at age 63 in 2001.

Mongo

I love Peggy Ann Garner in Jane Eyre, and I think she was also in A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. She looked like the typical child, not a little movie star. Of course I also love Shirley Temple, I was raised on her movies!

Shaina, the movie "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" was the highlight of Peggy Ann Garner's career. She was outstanding as Francie Nolan and won a special juvenile Oscar for her role.

If you havn't seen it, by all means rent it since you are in for a treat.

Mongo

I have seen A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, back when I didn't pay attention to actors' names, so I pictured it was Peggy, but I wasn't 100% positive. I am going to check it out afresh though!

Magaret O'Brien tops for me. She was so adorable.

Shirley Temple, Roddy McDowell (How Green was my valley) loved him in that. Peggy Ann Gardner I love A tree grows in Brooklyn such a great movie.

Todays movies it would be Dakota not sure of her last name she is recently in a movie with Tom Cruise. She is adorable and really quite a good actress.

Classicmovies, your thinking of the cutie Dakota Fanning who is 11 years old.

She is co-starring with Tom Cruise in "War of the Worlds" which opens soon.

She is currently lending her voice, with a host of other stars, to a new version of "Charlotte's Web" which is due out in 2006.

Mongo

I love Natalie Wood, particularly in Miracle on 34th St. She was adorable and an excellent actress. I also like Hayley Mills.

I thought Margaret O'Brien was much more natural than Shirley Temple and I find her enjoyable to watch. I also like Freddie Bartholemew. I really don't like many kid actors to be honest but those 2 I like. Jackie Cooper was good, too.

Someone mentioned about Jane Withers awful life - please elaborate on that ?? Didn't like her much as a kid - but I did enjoy her as Josephine the plumber - nuts, I know. lol

Ive always been amazed at Shirley Temple's talent, especially in her early films, and Margaret O'Brien was so convincing and serious and just adorable. For the boys my vote goes to Jackie Coogan, (I can watch The Kid & The Ragman over and over) and the "Our Gang" kids. They are still so much fun to watch!

And the brightest child star today I think is Dakota Fanning. She stole the show in "Hide and Seek", from DiNiro no less! Im buying the DVD and I hardly ever buy a new film. And next to Tom Cruise in "War of the Worlds"---now thats not even a fair contest, Dakota wins again!

While watching "Imitation of Life" with Claudette Colbert recently, I took note of the sweet little girl who played her daughter Jessie, at the beginning of the film. She was so cute in her scenes with Miss Colbert giving her a bath.

She was billed as Baby Jane and would change her name to Juanita Quigley in later films.

Miss Quigley made about 40 movies including "The Devil-Doll", "The Blue Bird" with Shirley Temple, "A Yank at Eaton" and "National Velvet".

Leaving the screen in 1950 she would eventually enter a convent. After several years as a nun, she realized that she had made a mistake, left the vocation and married.

She celebrated her 74th birthday this past June.

Mongo

Although he didn't appear in a great number of films as a child, Skippy Homeier is to be remembered for his outstanding performance as the Nazi brat in "Tomorrow, the World!" (1944) , which was shown on TCM recently.

> Someone mentioned about Jane Withers awful life -

> please elaborate on that ?? Didn't like her much as

> a kid - but I did enjoy her as Josephine the plumber

> - nuts, I know. lol

Jane's first marriage ended in divorce. Her second husband was the love of her life, but he died in a plane crash, leaving her with young children to raise. She lost one of her sons to brain cancer. Her strong religious faith and boundless energy have helped her through the difficult times.

Speaking of favorite child stars, has anyone read Jackie Cooper's 1981 autobiography, "Please Don't Shoot My Dog?" I remember reading a few pages of the book in 1982, but when my interest in "The Little Rascals" emerged in August 2005, I read the book from beginning to end. It is an honest, candid book about Mr. Cooper's, childhood, life at the studio, his love affairs, and his work as a producer/director. If you're a Jackie Cooper fan, or a fan of classic movies in general, I think "Please Don't Shoot My Dog" is worth reading.

Ina, that sounds like a good book about Jackie Cooper. And since I am a Jackie Cooper fan (he was outstanding in "The Champ"), can you tell me if the book is still available?

Thanks for any info.

Mongo

They may not be favorites but Billy and Bobby Mauch from "The Prince and The Pauper" with Errol Flynn I thought were very good in their roles. It helps they had a pretty good movie to be in. They seemed to be having quite a time.

The twins Billy and Bobby Mauch were indeed popular at the time they made "The Prince and the Pauper". Unfortunately the boys were not used to proper advantage and their movie careers waned.

They are still with us today at age 81, although those golden locks once on their heads are completely gone.

Mongo

Margaret O'Brien is my all time favorite and even after all these years I never miss an opportunity to watch a Shirley Temple movie but lest we forget RICHARD NICHOLS the sad eyed little Reynald of ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO and Teddy in DISPATCH FROM REUTERS.