Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"London After Midnight(1927)" On TCM!

I looked at the schedule for May 2004 and they said that TCM will be showing Chaney's famous 1927 lost film "London After Midnight".

But I'm not sure it's the REAL movie, because it says it run 47 minutes when the REAL movie runs over 56 minutes. It doesn't say anything if it's the reconstruction or what. They are also showing "Man Of A Thousand Faces(1957)", "The Penalty(1920)" for the very first time, and "The Unknown(1927)". LAM will be shown at 1AM(Pacific Time). I guess we will have to watch it and find out. This is not a joke!

Silentmovieguy,

I'm afraid that the LOST AFTER MIDNIGHT that TCM has broadcast before, was a collection of still photographs that tell the story. I've seen it on TCM and it's on the Lon Chaney DVD collection that TCM released last year. I would love to have seen the original film, but I gotta say, what TCM gave us, and I thank them for making the effort, was a big disappointment. There is no 'film' footage at all. I'm pretty sure they are just re-broadcasting it.

Glad to see THE PENALTY finally making it to TCM. It is one of my favorite Chaney films. If you haven't seen it, you are in for a treat! It's Classic Chaney.....

keithfrom, you hit the nail on the head about the TCM airing of "London After Midnight." There was tremendous message board excitement prior to the telecast. I could hardly wait to begin taping, but after thirty minutes, I switched over to the Scifi channel's Halloween treats. The "London After Midnight" restoration is only a series of still photographs. Some of these were shown repeatedly to pad out the restoration. I think it's fabulous that even this much work was put into it. But in terms of watchability--it became terribly repetitious. To change the subjet, has anyone seen the silent version of the l928 horror classic, "The Bat" that stars Jack Pickford? I got my version through Sinister Cinema and the tape is simply incredibly--with blacks and whites and grays so clear it's like the movie were made yesterday. This is a real goodie to watch in tandem with the l930 "The Bat Whispers", made by Roland West. These two old movies alone prove that Hollywood was doing some fantastic technical work back then--with the striking German expressionism, so popular back then in "Pandora's Box," "The Golem," "The Man Who Laughed", wonderfully represented. Also, if you haven't seen the silent version of "The Cat and the Canary", this is an absolute must. Paul Leni's take on the 'Old Dark House' theme is amazing and still holds up beautifully today.

Patypancake,

We must have been separated at birth, my friend. I ALSO purchased THE BAT, as well as several other films from SINISTER Cinema. I also liked GRAPEVINE Video for Silents until they went out of business. I am also a big fan of 'The Cat and The Canary,' as well as all the German films you mentioned. THE BAT was a surprise. I had heard of the film, but had never seen it. I ordered it a few years ago alongside three other videos and THE BAT was my favorite of the bunch. I am a fan of Louise Fazenda's silent comedies, so it was great to see her turn up in THE BAT. It's such a suspenseful, well-executed film, I wonder why it isn't as popular as other thrillers from that time period........

Oh, Keith, how wonderful to come across another film junkie whose traveled the same movie paths as myself! Grapevine Video was totally wonderful! I brought many of my favorite silents from them and was heartbroken when they announced their closure. They sent me the best version yet of Cecil B. DeMille's l915 delight, "The Cheat." The simple piano score is the best I've ever heard for a silent film. Grapevine also introduced me to now long forgotten screen vamp, Louise Glaum, and her "Sex" and "Leopard Woman" are delightful. There was also a flapper comedy, "Bare Knees," which always delights all my friends who adore Virginia Lee Corbin. Another real treasure was the "Ladies of the Matinee" video which features several forgotten stars from the l900s--especially the Biograph Girl, Florence Lawrence and the marvelous Edith Storey. Gotta stop for now. Let's chat again!