Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
KeithFromKC

Too disgusting to watch?

I thought this question would probably fit best in the CULT film section. Is there a film (or films) that you've seen that was so disgusting that you couldn't watch anymore? What film nauseated you so much that you had to leave the theater early or switch off the VCR/DVD in disgust? I'm talking physically, of course, as I have been disgusted by certain films based merely on script or bad acting.

I have an extremely high tolerance for most things I've seen. I always tell myself that "it's just a movie," and then I'm usually OK, if somewhat uncomfortable. I have mentioned the 1991 film, BEGOTTEN, a couple of times here and have friends who could not make it through the whole film. The only film I ever lost it over was Bunuel's UN CHIEN ANDALOU. You know the famous scene of the razor and the eyeball....I'll stop there as it nauseates me to think of it! So I reiterate, which film disgusted you so badly, you couldn't finish it?

keithfrom, juicy topic. I'm a sucker for these "Banned in 40 countries!" gore-shock fests. I tried watching one last night, "Faces of Death," but couldn't get beyond 30 minutes of it. Grisly, surgical room footage was mixed in with segments of animal butchering around the world. "Zombie," by Lucio Fulci, however, is a terrific zombie/cannibal entertainment. My Anchor Bay DVD version is gorgoeus and that musical score by Fabio Fabrizzi makes this one worth checking out. Another notorious/famous "Banned in 100 Countries" entertainment is Image Blaster's restored version of the 1976 shocker, "Jungle Holocaust." Filmed on location in the jungles of Thailand, it stars the amazing Masimo Fossima (check spelling). It also features gory butchering of gators and snakes but it's a one-of-a-kind shocker. Not for the squeamish.

Tod Browning's "Freaks" was shocking, but I still watched the whole thing. I couldn't believe the end though - what they do to that woman is crazy. A newer movie that I couldn't sit through because of the gore was "Ravenous." - it came out a couple of years ago, and I was working in a movie theater at the time. Every Thursday night we'd preview a movie that was opening the next day, and on one Thursday it happened to be this nasty **** movie - it was so gross I went and cleaned the popcorn machine - I was happier doing that then watching this movie, which took place during the Revolutionary War, and was about these soldiers that resort to eating one another since they are so hard up for food. Not only was it disgusting, but it was just stupid. I don't mind a gory movie, but at least make it interesting!

patypancake,

I have ZOMBIE and THE BEYOND on dvd. I don't know what it is about Lucio Fulci, but watching his films is like being an on-looker at a horrific accident. You try, but you can't avert your eyes. I saw ZOMBIE at the drive-in back in the early 80's and at the time, it completely grossed me out. I can handle it much better now.

The reason for this post is that I have always been fascinated by how much viewers can tolerate. What is the average viewer's threshold for anything that makes them uncomfortable, while merely watching a movie? I have seen people hit the exit at many movies, but the arthouse films usually are the biggest offenders. Sometimes I question why certain scenes offend.

Quick example, I was watching a PEDRO ALMODOVAR film, I believe it was WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN, and in the film, a female goes into the restroom, sits down on the toilet and ****. Not something you would see in an American film, but not really that offensive (not to me anyway). I swear, I thought the older woman sitting in front of me was going to have a stroke. She said, audibly, "That is just FOUL! I can't believe they would show THAT onscreen!" Then she stormed out of the theater. I thought, my god, it's not like you haven't done THAT in the past 24 hours! Anyway, it always fascinates me as to how much any given person can tolerate during cinema's more 'trying' scenes.......

Moviejoe79,

I saw 'Ravenous' when it came out and agree that it pushed some buttons. I like Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle (Trainspotting, The Full Monty), so I thought it might be good, but left the theater wondering what the whole point was. I did like the fact that several people walked out during the film. Again, I love to see how much movie-goers can tolerate.....

No one mentioned the dog **** eating scene from Pink Flamingos? I actually gagged myself and nearly lost my popcorn. The fact that they shot in one non-stop take from dog crapping to Divine eating that did it. There was NO DOUBT it was real.

Slappy3500,

When I saw 'Pink Flamingos' I knew THAT scene was coming, so I gotta say I cheated by averting my eyes! As soon as divine touched the excrement, I just put my head in my hands and thought, I guess it's true what I've heard about this film! It was definitely real! Having said that, there were a few other scenes in 'Pink Flamingos' that were also pretty disgusting. I think John Waters can be brilliant, but I MUCH prefer his later films.........

Ohhhh, yeah, that doggie scene in "Pink Flamingoes"--what an ending to an insane movie. Or, as John Waters, would probably say, 'Bon apetit!" Although that scene was gross, I thought the "love" scene between Crackers and Cookie Mueller with the chicken was a little over the edge. And wasn't that one male party-goer with a particular talent (hint: he wore no clothes) a hoot? The last time I remember people actually leaving a movie theater in mid-film was the revival of "Alien" that played here in NYC two years ago. After that chest-busting scene with the baby alien jumping out, I saw several women stagger out of their seats with their heads lowered and groaning as if they had seen a real-life car wreck.

I can take all the violence a film can pour out, but when someone goes to eating something I think is disgusting, then I can't watch anymore. That's why I wouldn't/couldn't watch something like Pink Flamingos, even though I've enjoyed John Waters' more mainstream films. I just don't like it when someone eats or drinks something disgusting--it makes me want to gag.

Bracken, I just know you're glued to the tube when "Fear Factor" and "Survivor" comes on. Just from the previews alone--of contestants scarfing down all those slimy things still a-kickin--makes me want to barf.

I would never NEVER watch Fear Factor--I will admit to watching Survivor since they only eat disgusting things on only one episode, but I do find it hard to watch that one episode they do every time. I was watching another reality show (I won't say which one coz it's kind of embarassing) but all the people had to eat out of a huge bowl of ice cream without using their hands. I love ice cream but even that made me sick.

Brak, I know exactly what you mean about never watching someone eat or drink something disgusting. that's why I never look in the window as I pass Denny's! :D

Though Pink Flamingos was pretty awful, I think that scene with the little monkey's head and his brains, in the original Faces of Death is worse, even if faked.

And of course the older film, Mondo Cane has some rather creepy parts, what with force feeding animals and all.

But for sheer grotesqueness and disgust inducing sequences, I'll still go with any film with Madonna as the star.

Has anyone ever seen "Dr.Butcher,M.D."? That had a lot of enless cannabalism - I had to go to the lobby to finish eating. The movie was also pointless & badly written & acted.

I got one for you guys actually 2

how about Pier Paolo Pasolini's

"Salo"

and Hideshi Hino's

"Guinea Pig"

very disgusting and disturbing films that man when I watched them I really started to question my state of mind...

=================================

www.theseventhvoyage.com

dedicated to Ray Harryhausen

Oh my gosh- I cannot believe my eyes reading this thread- I have never heard of any of these movies, thank God! I thought the worse thing I could imagine was when Linda Blair grabbed her mom's face and put it between her legs in The Exorcist and yelled "Eat me" ( or worse), I never really listen to it.....I sort of cover my ears, squint my eyes, and wait for it to be over!!

I've got this thing about cutting into flesh. It really grosses me out. Thats why I refuse to see what I call "cut-em up movies." On the off chance a movie has a close-up of a knife going into skin, I immediately turn my head, close my eyes, whatever works.

I, too, can't handle eating gross stuff.

I don't like cutting into flesh either but I do kind of enjoy The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover. Pretty gross, to be sure, but far worse thamore interesting than many slasher films, though many that's the snob in me.

For some reason I couldn't watch the animated version of Aeon Flux as I had an extreme physical reaction for apparently no reason whatsoever. 20 minutes into it I had to shut it off before I threw up. I have no explanation, except that maybe it is similar to the anime/seizure thing that happened a few years back

aka: Zombie Holocaust...fun movie but a truly awful one too. and the gore is sub par...so i really cannot see anyone thinking this was too disusting to watch

truly deserving of this title is the newer crop of misogynistic films coming out.

Murder Set Pieces

August Underground

Mordem

Aftermath/ Nemeis

these films are truly disgusting in every way imaginable

and this is coming from someone who considers a film like 'Cannibal Holocaust' a masterpiece

That was the second Raiders movie. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. The movie that I found most disgusting was "Last House on the Left." Although it didn't have all the gut-wrenching gore of other films, it didn't strike me as having any redeeming value - just sick. Add to that all of the hype... "It's only a movie!" Hah! Just barely.

'Erazerhead' and 'Repulsion' are two movies which always stick in my mind as being dark and uncomfortable to watch. The first time i saw 'Dawn of the dead' was back in 1978 and in a huge movie theatre with 2000 seats and a massive screen and I will always remember the gasps that kept coming from many sections of the theatre as that classic played. The effect was a thousand times greater than watching a movie on video/Dvd.

I have to check out these movies, for some reason i like watching these kinds of movies, the first gross movie i saw was "The Brain that would not Die" when i was a kid and now have it on tape.