Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RainingViolets101

Who Said This ?

Quote: "Pioneers are seldom from nobility. There were no Dukes on the Mayflower." Said by a man who worked his way into filmdom doing burlesque and vaudeville in his youth.

Thanks, Edythe. Next up:

"I discovered early in my movie work that a movie is never any better than the stupidest man connected with it. There are times when this distinction may belong to the writer or director. Most often it belongs to the producer.

Sixes, I traced this one down soon after it was posted, but I'm waiting for others to participate. In the meantime, could you let me know -- PM or otherwise -- if there is any specific person that the quoted party had in mind when this statement was said or written? I'm curious as to that point.

...and I've traced the quote itself to Maxwell Anderson, and there is another indication as to the subject. Silverwolf, would you join us, and take over the thread?

Thank you very much!

What famous wit is known for this view of Tinseltown?

You can take all the sincerity in Hollywood, place it in the navel of a firefly and still have room enough for three caraway seeds and a producer's heart.

This sounds like it's up Allen's Alley--Fred Allen.

But Silver--I have to tell you that Bilko's Nat Hiken wrote most of those Allenisms.

"That's all there is; there isn't any more!"

Classic curtain call ending from one of America's greatest actresses.

She also appeared in classic films