Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It's got to be George M. Cohan. He used the premise so much it can't be anybody else ...

He was an amazing man. My mother's boss the congressman, when he was acting and of course before he went into politics, was in one of George M's traveling companies. He had a few, I guess. He had his finger in a lot of pies. Show business was his home.

I remember a story about George M. in his early traveling days, before he was very well known. He had booked a reservation in a hotel which was "restricted," unbeknownst to him. They thought because his name was Cohan that he was Jewish, and he found a telegram waiting for him which said that obviously there had been a mistake, and they could not accommodate him. He answered with another telegram, which said, "Gentlemen: There, now, we've both made a mistake. You thought I was Jewish, and I thought you were gentlemen."

• 5 weeks later...

> {quote:title=Edythevanhopper wrote:}{quote}I have to open the thread. It was said of Maria Magdalena when her name changed( Marlene Dietrich) by her friend the poet Jean Cocteau.

Wasn't it for her Cafe de Paris opening?

> {quote:title=Edythevanhopper wrote:}{quote}I have to open the thread. It was said of Maria Magdalena when her name changed( Marlene Dietrich) by her friend the poet Jean Cocteau.

Wasn't it for her Cafe de Paris opening? Cocteau said it, but she changed her name when she was about 11...

• 2 weeks later...

...abandoned thread.

Actress, during an interview, is asked what are her hobbies. Reply:

"I don't know. Say anything you like, but don't say I love to work. That sounds like Mary Pickford, that prissy b**ch. Just say I like to pinch babies and twist their legs. And get drunk."