Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RainingViolets101

Who Said This ?

Sixes, I think davez has joined our Alumni Association.  Rebooting the Thread:

For work done in the late 1960s.  The Emmy Awards ceremony.  An accomplished and respected actor accepts his Emmy for "Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading role in a Comedy Series."  The series has just been canceled.  He graciously accepts the award with proper comments, then he gestures down to the formal outfit he's wearing and says, "And for anyone interested, I have a tuxedo, and I will travel."

Whodat?  What series?

The 1970 Emmy Awards.  William Windom accepted his Lead Actor (Comedy) for his work in the series My World and Welcome To It.  This was after the series had been canceled.

Open thread.

shoulda been a little more patient, MWAWTI was a fav sorta 'cult' series of mine ;)

thread's open.....

Idle since April = abandoned.

"Well, I guess I can just forget about those (Eugene) Ionesco retrospectives."

...Who said this, and in reference to what occasion?

"Well, I guess I can just forget about those (Eugene) Ionesco retrospectives."

...Who said this, and in reference to what occasion?

-won't google, so maybe a hint?

(476)

I haven't been able to Google it myself; I just remember it at the time of the news blurb.

Mid 1990s. A quite busy actor, on hiatus from his popular series, made a theatrical film in a role for which many others had been passed over. The film was a live-action take on an earlier, animated series, decades earlier. The quote was from an interview about the new film.

Only about 35 Views. This speaker made some notable movies, including title role in a Sports biopic. Worked with several TV series; had male lead in one of them. Some notable TV cartoon voices also. Still working.

Got it, Sixes. Mr. Goodman's reply when asked what reaction he expected now it was public that he was slated to play Fred Flintstone.

Your thread.

idle this whole month.  open thread.  From a written source:

(600)

"If you want to understand the British ruling class (name) once explained to me, it helps to know that they were all shipped off to boarding school at about the age of 5 and spent the next ten years in a same-sex environment being beaten once a week.'"

Written by whom?  What source did he name?

(600)

"If you want to understand the British ruling class (name) once explained to me, it helps to know that they were all shipped off to boarding school at about the age of 5 and spent the next ten years in a same-sex environment being beaten once a week.'"

Written by whom?  What source did he name?

The context is a film review.  The reviewer cites a well-known actor as the source of the sentiment expressed.  That actor is not involved in the film under consideration.

CLOSING THE QUESTION; POSING ANOTHER.

1982' Dark Obsession centered around a murder and a coverup among titled, clannish Brits.  Roger Ebert's review of the film made use of a point picked up in conversation with "Cockney-born Michael Caine" (i.e. "Alfie"), with some social commentary.

NEW "WHO SAID THIS? POSER:

Attributed. Several slightly different wordings, and many people claim to have heard it:

"Don't say yes until I get through talking."

...Whodat?

NEW "WHO SAID THIS? POSER:

"Don't say yes until I get through talking."

...Whodat?

Sounds like a Goldwynism, don't it.  But it isn't.

maybe Darryl F. Zanuck ?

(there's a song title also, but assume it's not that) ;)

Mr. Zanuck it was, Sixes.  What'd you do, go all the way down the alphabet til  you found him?

BTW, Sixes, you recently identified two quotations, on different threads, both from Dr. Zhivago.

I had posed both these quotations, but I had never been able to find them via research.  I knew them only from having seen the film a number of times.  Did you find them by research, or did you just remember them?

Another BTW:  Your thread.

what, ME trust MY memory?? LOL :lol:

Nah,....the wonders of the internet ;)

next:

"If I wasn’t really curious to learn something from it, I wouldn’t have made the film. Learning means, why do I want to understand him? He’s a whole other human being. I want to understand him, because understanding him is going to help clarify myself to myself."

-speaker, subject?

next:

"If I wasn’t really curious to learn something from it, I wouldn’t have made the film. Learning means, why do I want to understand him? He’s a whole other human being. I want to understand him, because understanding him is going to help clarify myself to myself."

-speaker, subject?

speaker hint: directed more than 21 films and 10 television shows, acted in over 30 films or shows, and produced over 44 films.

The gist of the conversation sounds like Mike Nichols, but the list of credits doesn't add up.

sorry, not Nichols

-speaker with many nominations, but won 1 best picture & 1 director Oscars plus a best director primetime Emmy, among other awards

Sidney **** ?

Robert Redford? 

The burden of this question is that the quote itself seems to be untraceable.

indeed, speaker is Sydney P O L L A C K, regarding his documentary

"Sketches of Frank Gehry" (2005)

(can't seem to get the orig. link to work again) :(

-your thread, flash.....

Thanks, Sixes.  Use scattershot and finally hit something.  Next up:

Telegram from a writer in Hollywood to a writer in NYC.  Launched a career.

"Millions to be made out here and your only competition is idiots.  Don't let this get around."

From?  To?