Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RainingViolets101

Who Said This ?

(794)

1920s event.  Both sender and recipient then spent decades doing honored and well-paid work in California.

One of these individuals was mentioned recently in a context that noted he had more paid than credited scripts accepted.

RETIRING THE QUESTION at some 77 Views

Herman J. Mankiwicz wired the invitation to Ben Hecht.  Hecht did move to Hollywood and was hired by Universal.  The beginning of a long and honored career.

Open thread.

(1,096)

"...it is pointless to be 'superb' in a commercial failure, and most of the films which I have deliberately chosen to make in the last few years were, by and large, just that.  Or so I was told by the businessmen....and if you don't make money at the Box Office, you are not asked back to play again..."

The actor?  (He's British)

The speaker -- The only star in that all - star cast of A Bridge Too Far who had actually been present and had served in the battle portrayed.

(1,397)

Idle for a solid month = open thread.

"In spite of everything, screenwriting is better than threading pipe."

...Who?

"I make all my decisions on intuition. I throw a spear into the darkness. That is intuition. Then I must send an army into the darkness to find the spear. That is intellect."

???

"I make all my decisions on intuition. I throw a spear into the darkness. That is intuition. Then I must send an army into the darkness to find the spear. That is intellect."

???

Ingmar Bergman?

???

Ingmar Bergman?

yup, with as good a synopsis of his technique as any I've heard ;)

-you're up, Notan.....

yup, with as good a synopsis of his technique as any I've heard ;)

-you're up, Notan.....

Thanks, Mr.6s.

Next (and I hope this is in the correct spirit of the thread):

"You really like rain"

Who to whom?

Thanks, Mr.6s.

Next (and I hope this is in the correct spirit of the thread):

"You really like rain"

Who to whom?

:mellow:  One question, Notan:

Is the quote you posed from a script or performance?  There are two other threads that handle such material.  This thread is mostly devoted to comments from other sources.  Interviews, talk show guest shots, news blurbs, even biographies or autobiographies are the sources of most of the material on this thread. 

Is that the kind of source your material is from?

:mellow:  One question, Notan:

Is the quote you posed from a script or performance?  There are two other threads that handle such material.  This thread is mostly devoted to comments from other sources.  Interviews, talk show guest shots, news blurbs, even biographies or autobiographies are the sources of most of the material on this thread. 

Is that the kind of source your material is from?

Hi, FB.

The quote is not from a movie, but from a conversation between two well-known film folk. From the way you described the thread's criteria, I think the quote will fit right in.

When Kurosawa got to meet John Ford, a director commonly said to be the most influential to Kurosawa, Ford simply said, "You really like rain." Kurosawa responded, "You've really been paying attention to my films."

??

When Kurosawa got to meet John Ford, a director commonly said to be the most influential to Kurosawa, Ford simply said, "You really like rain." Kurosawa responded, "You've really been paying attention to my films."

??

Spot on, Mr.6s!

All yours.

Idle for over a month; abandoned thread...

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities.  Virtues can be faked.  Depravities are real."

Idle for over a month; abandoned thread...

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities.  Virtues can be faked.  Depravities are real."

Klaus Kinski????

Thanks flashback.

"I persevered in those English films, and persevered is the word, though I am the first to admit that I was a very bad actor in them."