Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who Said This ?

RainingViolets101

Thanks, Sixes.

This one is from a mid (20th) century magazine interview:

"I graduated from high school with a reluctant D-Minus average. That means I seemed to know what I was talking about, but they didn't really want to pass me."

Who?

Another quote from the same personage, in performance:

"My father lost his job when his company modernized, replace by a gadget. Does everything he did, and does it better. Thing is, my mother went out and bought one."

Another quote, same source, again in performance:

The modeling agency sent over this beautiful girl and I had her take off her clothes and get up on the platform. I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

"I went with my son to a swim club. The man said," I'm sorry, we don't allow Jews to swim here". I said, "My son is only half-Jewish. May he go into the pool up to his waist"?"

Edited by: finance on Jul 20, 2010 10:32 AM

Edited by: finance on Jul 20, 2010 5:21 PM

Thanks, finance.

I've used this one elsewhere; it was even paraphrased in a movie. I think it was said in an interview:

"Show me a man who has enjoyed his schooldays and I'll show you a bully and a bore."

???

Correct, Sixes. The British system of education has taken a lot of criticism over the years from people who had seen it up close. For instance, Michael Caine: "To understand the English aristocracy, you have to realize that they were taken out of their homes at about age five, and spent the next ten years in a single-sex environment, being beaten once a week." And the movie *The Ruling Class* has an exchange that goes like: "They sent me away to live at the mercy of sadists and pederasts." ... "You went to Plublic School." These are paraphrases, but the theme is a constant.

Sixes' thread.

(I'm paraphrasing this quote-ok)

"If I had done half of the things (been with all the women etc) that they said I had, I'd be speaking to you from a jar at the Harvard Medical School."

Edited by: cujas on Jul 24, 2010 4:45 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jul 24, 2010 4:54 PM

Edited by: cujas on Jul 24, 2010 4:56 PM

Oh dear. I knew Sinatra was a good guess, but I was hoping maybe Joey Bishop or Peter Lawford had said something interesting for once. Oh, well...

From another mid-Century magazine story:

"In my own mind, I'm not sure that acting is something for a grown man to be doing."

???

(2563)

Years later, at a different place in his career image, the actor, set to star in an upcoming project, had a get-acquainted cup of coffee with an actress who had been suggested for the female lead. Both had worked well in the past with the director, and the director was in favor of casting her. The actor's opening statement to her was, "Let's get this straight. I consider you the competition." She gave the project a pass.