Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Everyone knows I'm just Secondhand Rose

sewhite2000

17 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

:wacko:

What in the hell is this thread about, anyway?

Sepiatone

It's a song Barbara Streisand sings in Funny Girl, one of the few in the movie where she actually tries to affect a bit of an actual Fanny Brice accent. Watching it again during the musical month, I was just struck by the ending of the song where she draws out the last syllable of the song, and if she just can't let the song end on so traditional a finish, she **** her head and repeats the syllable "Noo?" as if asking a question. That had stuck in my head for weeks, and I don't know, it was like three in the morning, and I just thought I'd post the line from the song and see if anybody got the reference. Possibly I was so obscure I actually ended up getting the thread temporarily deleted!

Edit: Oh, good grief, how about "tilts"? She "tilts" her head. I can't use the word that rhymes with "rocks" to describe how she moves her head.

• Haha 2

Yeah, I noticed that.  Otto Censor does get carried away.  When first applied, we had trouble with it whenever we mentioned actor DICK VAN DYKE.  Seemed that it only left the "Van" untouched.   :D

But thanks for the info.  I'd only seen that movie once, and wasn't as taken with it as everyone seems to think I should have been and of course, likely didn't recall the tune.

Sepiatone

On 7/29/2018 at 8:13 AM, Sepiatone said:

:wacko:

What in the hell is this thread about, anyway?

Sepiatone

Who cares, Sepia!

Though I really didn't think Omar totally resembled the real Nicky Arnstein, I guess one could call it poetic license in casting. What I'd really like to see is a film made about Fanny's marriage to Billy Rose, but whoever was cast would have to be sitting down all the time, since Fanny was around 5'6" and Billy Rose wasn't even 5-feet tall.

My dear girl, you must get out of your cave more often.

Barbra Streisand made a simply marvelous movie in 1975 called" Funny Lady", which was all about her marriage to Billy Rose.

Billy Rose was played by the hot actor of the day--Sonny from "The Godfather", James Caan.

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Who cares, Sepia!

Though I really didn't think Omar totally resembled the real Nicky Arnstein, I guess one could call it poetic license in casting. What I'd really like to see is a film made about Fanny's marriage to Billy Rose, but whoever was cast would have to be sitting down all the time, since Fanny was around 5'6" and Billy Rose wasn't even 5-feet tall.

I think box office is more important than height. LOL

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

My dear girl, you must get out of your cave more often.

Barbra Streisand made a simply marvelous movie in 1975 called" Funny Lady", which was all about her marriage to Billy Rose.

Billy Rose was played by the hot actor of the day--Sonny from "The Godfather", James Caan.

I think box office is more important than height. LOL

Funny thing 'bout Funny Girl/Lady. Saw Lady at the movies. Living 17 miles out of town, we didn't see a lot of movies. Loved Funny Lady and got the cassette soundtrack. I am poorly educated when it comes to movies, as you could always find me with my record player going. Didn't know who Fanny was. "How Lucky Can You Get" was a 78 and a Victrola. Now the movie had my attention. Not sure when I got the chance to see Funny Girl. Omar Sharif was never a favorite. I suppose Funny Girl was funnier, but Funny Lady is better to me. Guess I enjoyed the music more. "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie," was excellent.

:rolleyes: :lol:

For a second there, I thought we were gonna be treated to a FIRESIGN THEATER take-off.....

"Well, it's about this big, and about this wide, ..."   :D 

Oh, and; "About this thread about which we're talkin' about!"  ;)                                                                                                        

Sepiatone

Wow, 21,000 posts and never created a thread!

I go through phases where I don't create any. It's always deflating when I think of something really interesting I want to share with my fellow members only to watch it sink to Page Three in a day and a half because no one bothered to read it, while someone else's post that in my opinion adds zero constructive to these boards gets 10 times as many views as mine. And then I momentarily get huffy and think well these schmos don't deserve a thread created by me! But a couple of weeks go by, and I start creating threads again.

You probably save yourself a lot of heartache your way (or you may not be as sensitive as I).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wow, 21,000 posts and never created a thread!

I go through phases where I don't create any. It's always deflating when I think of something really interesting I want to share with my fellow members only to watch it sink to Page Three in a day and a half because no one bothered to read it, while someone else's post that in my opinion adds zero constructive to these boards gets 10 times as many views as mine. And then I momentarily get huffy and think well these schmos don't deserve a thread created by me! But a couple of weeks go by, and I start creating threads again.

You probably save yourself a lot of heartache your way (or you may not be as sensitive as I).

I want to know how James plays guitar and types on the computer? What is the name of his guitar? What cord is that he is playing? Once in a while, something or someone will get under my skin. Lately, this insane spam and TCM's inability to get it under control.

On 7/30/2018 at 1:11 AM, sewhite2000 said:

It's a song Barbara Streisand sings in Funny Girl, one of the few in the movie where she actually tries to affect a bit of an actual Fanny Brice accent. Watching it again during the musical month, I was just struck by the ending of the song where she draws out the last syllable of the song, and if she just can't let the song end on so traditional a finish, she **** her head and repeats the syllable "Noo?" as if asking a question. That had stuck in my head for weeks, and I don't know, it was like three in the morning, and I just thought I'd post the line from the song and see if anybody got the reference. Possibly I was so obscure I actually ended up getting the thread temporarily deleted!

I think the question is meant to be "New?"  rather than "Noo?" since the Rose from the song's title has already established that she never gets anything new.

"Second Hand Rose" is one of a number of songs actually sung by Fanny Brice that were added to the movie adaptation of Funny Girl.  Others were "I'd Rather Be Blue" (with lyrics by Billy Rose, who would later marry Fanny Brice) and "My Man." None of these songs were featured in the Broadway stage musical Funny Girl, which also starred Barbra Streisand 

5 minutes ago, BagelOnAPlateOfOnionRolls said:

I think the question is meant to be "New?"  rather than "Noo?" since the Rose from the song's title has already established that she never gets anything new.

"Second Hand Rose" is one of a number of songs actually sung by Fanny Brice that were added to the movie adaptation of Funny Girl.  Others were "I'd Rather Be Blue" (with lyrics by Billy Rose, who would later marry Fanny Brice) and "My Man." None of these songs were featured in the Broadway stage musical Funny Girl, which also starred Barbra Streisand 

Do you know if the Broadway stage musical had less songs than the movie,  or around the same number of songs, but just different ones?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings