Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hypnotoad

TCM punts on New Year's Eve

I throw a big New Years party every odd to even year and keep the TV on TCM but with no sound. I am amazed to usually find a crowd of people glued to the set, usually guys. I couldn't believe they'd get into marathons of Marx Bros or Fred Astaire like the last few parties.

An "off" year for my party, I admit, when I saw the listing of That's Entertainment, I was a bit dissapointed so I took in a little Twilight Zone on SciFi. Commercial time, I switched over to see what was going on & got hooked!

It was because most clips were remastered and sounded great in 5.1 surround sound. Pleasant surprise!

TikiSoo -

If it had been a themed marathon of dramatic movies I would not have complained. If one movie wasn't to my tastes then there would be a new opportunity in two hours or so. But last night was essentially an eight hour movie with no character development, no plot, no resolution. Just partial clips of song and dance routines removed from any contextual juxtaposition that might make them meaningful. They use the same formula to sell those Time-Life Songs of the 70's twelve CD collections on late-night infomercials. When you ask people to choose the best episodes of a TV sitcom like Cheers they rarely choose the clip shows.