Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The best insult in films?

Guest Evoraman

I have two favorite "kiss my patootie" lines. The first is in THE WOMEN, and Joan Crawford, as Crystal Allen, gets to say, "There's a name for you ladies, but it's not used outside of kennels." Yeah, Bay-bee! The second is in FOOTLIGHT PARADE, and Joan Blondell says to her rival for James Cagney's affection, "As long as there are sidewalks, you'll have a job." It doesn't get much better than that!

Guest son, jery

In "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?", Bette Davis listens to Joan Crawford whine and accuses her of being responsble for making her a cripple and forced to use a wheelchair. Bette rolls her eyes and shrieks: "But'cha ARE in the chair, Blanche! You ARE in the chair!"

Guest Enriquez, Joanna

In "Piccadilly Jim", the restrained gentleman's gentleman replys to some shrill complaints"Madame, that statement leaves me in a state of indifference bordering on the supernatural."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Schaefer, William

Oh, yes. I wondered if anyone remembered that. Eric Blore delivers that line so perfectly, it's one of the funniest scenes I can think of.

Guest Hern, A.L.

"You AMOEBA!" -- John Barrymore to Carole Lombard in TWENTIETH CENTURY (Columbia, 1934), screenplay by Ben hecht & Charles MacArthur, from a play by Charles Bruce Milholland

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gilda

way to go alit the women is one of my ave movies and that is one of my favorite lines, actually I used that at a party once it was oh so appropriate. I also love when joan crawford calls rosland russel Mrs. prowler. few could carry of a comeback like joan crawford.

Guest Gilda

in to have and have not, "watch out for those strings steve your lible to trip and break your neck" when lauren bacall got her way she let everybody know it.

Guest Gilda

from the movie gilda, gilda to her current hubby "you woulden't think a girl could marry two insane men in one lifetime, now would you" anyone elese think this is a great comeback.

Guest Dan, Coffee

In TILLIE AND GUS, when W. C. Fields is asked "Do you like children?", he replies, "I do if they're properly cooked." And in THE OLD-FASHIONED WAY, he describes Jan Duggan as "all dressed up like a well-kept grave."

Yep...I forgot about the Mrs. Prowler line. Joan did zing off some good ones in this movie. Plus she got to play that absolutely awesome b* * * h Crystal Allen. What a fantastic part to get! I know it's somewhat vogue to run down the accomplishments of Joan Crawford, but I sure think she was a great actress. I can't think of one movie (from the 20's-50's) that she's in that I didn't enjoy!

Okay...it seems that THE WOMEN was just full of insulting lines. How about this one. It appears at the end, just as Crystal is getting her just dessert. One of the society ladies says to her, "You, you, you....SHOPGIRL!"

Guest Gilda, The Lady

that was a good line, bye the way it was the current Mrs. buck winston who said it. , i also love it when norma shearer says "i've had two years to grow claws mother, jungle red!" that movie really had the great lines an incredible cast didnt it. i hope i get to see the play.

Guest mongo

How about in the film "All About Eve" (1950) when most of the key players are in Margo's (Bette Davis) dressing room and Eve (Anne Baxter) is telling her tale of woe when after she finishes Birdie (Thelma Ritter) chimes in "what a story, everything but the bloodhounds snapping at her rear end"!.

These two come from DINNER AT EIGHT. The conversation is between Kitty and Dan Packard (Jean Harlow & Wallace Beery). "I'm not like your first wife, that mealy-faced thing with the flat chest." I believe she also calls him in this same movie, a "big gas bag."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cooper, jeane

Broadcast News - after firing staff, a head honco says to one axed person "if there's anything, I can do - please tell me." "you could drop dead"

Guest Mendoza, Jose

In Lord Jim, James Mason tells Curt Jurgens "You have a natural talent for disaster. Try to improve yourself into an ordinary failure, by keeping your mouth shut".

Guest son, jery

In "Mystery of the Wax Museum," Glenda Farrell describes seeing the monster to her city editor. She says: "It was like an African death mask." Her editor drawls: "Yeah, I know, I was married to one."

Archived