Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GABullDogg

TCM Poor Programming

There was a time that I were a big fan of TCM, but now, I'm not. Why? It seems to me that TCM has gone in a different direction when it comes to what they show. In the past, they use to aired great B&W classic movies with greats like James Cagney, Humprey Bogart, Bette Davis, Joan Crawford, Edward G. Robinson, and so forth. Now, it seems that TCM now aired mostly JUNK! I don't care too much about watching the network anymore. I'm truly disappointed TCM. I hope that they will return to their roots and start showing more quality B&W classics like they once done in the past. Thank you.

Message was edited by: GABullDogg

Today they showed *five* fabulous Bogart films. Definitely not junk. If you were working and don't have access to a VCR, DVD, or TiVo and didn't record them, I'm truly sorry. The programmers cannot please everyone.

I must admit I was disappointed in the Christmas day and New Year Day shows I was disappointed they didn't show Miracle on 34th Street and It's a Wonderful life on Christmas Day.

And while I like watching "That's Entertainment" with all the clips of the stars talking it was sad that they had to repeat it.

Some days are Diamonds and some days are Stones.

> {quote:title=blueinmo wrote:}{quote}

> I must admit I was disappointed in the Christmas day and New Year Day shows I was disappointed they didn't show Miracle on 34th Street and It's a Wonderful life on Christmas Day.

I can't remember the last time TCM showed either one of these. I know that AMC had the rights to Miracle on 34th Street (and repeated it endlessly before and on Christmas) and NBC has been airing It's a Wonderful Life around Christmastime for years.

> Some days are Diamonds and some days are Stones.

The Stones? OK, then, go to Suggest a Movie and ask for "Gimme Shelter" next Christmas. Hey, it did take place in December.

Well they could have played Heidi for Christmas. Or done a Shirley Temple Marathon on Christmas day. That would have been great.

TCM doesn't have the rights to air *It's a Wonderful Life* or most Shirley Temple movies, except *The Little Princess* and the movies she made as a teen, like *Since You Went Away* . NBC has the exclusive rights to *Winderful Life* and Fox Movie Channel owns the Temples.

Many of the ?great? films are shown at different parts of the day. In order to catch some of these, might I suggest for you to check the online schedule. Then you could tape the movie if you are not home to watch.

As someone else has said about this same subject on a different thread, TCM shows some great films, you just have to watch for the time that they are showing. TCM does show many of the same films in the evening. This is when they try and pull in newer viewers who are not accustomed to TCM. And that is what TCM needs, newer viewers.

So, please don't give up on TCM. There are a lot of newer movies coming up in the near future as well as the golden standards from yesteryear.

Every time TCM shows The Grapes of Wrath and Our Daily Bread, I consider that Poor Programming.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Tom Keene was the hero of Our Daily Bread. How was he like Einstein?

Is this turning into a trivia thread?

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Both were out-standing in their field.

I am convulsed with mirth.

As has been noted, TCM tends to run a limited prime time playlist (Meet Me in St. Louis, anyone?). The real gems usually turn up in the overnight hours. That's where I've found the most interesting and new (to me) classic films.

You're right, I have to keep an eye on their online schedule to tape the B&W gems and avoid the other garbage they show. I'm usually at work when they show the good stuff.

I agree. I have found that they are showing alot of 2000, 1990's, 1980's and 1970's movies. It would be nice see more George Raft, Cagney, Greer Garson, etc. Instead, they are showing more current movies each month. The guest programmers are suggesting alot of newer movies and they are slowing getting away from their niche. I have become very disaapointed and I will begin looking for other outlets. The newer movies they show are readily available on every network. I thought the reason for this station was to satisfy the classic movie viewers needs. What a shame.

Again, I must be getting some other worldly version of TCM than the majority of posters in this thread.

The TCM that I receive via DirecTV has included James Cagney, Hedy Lamar, Rosalind Russell, Kay Francis, Carole Lombard and Charles Laughton as Stars of the Month in 2008.

The *Asian Images in Film* series in June gave us wonderful Sessue Hayakawa and Anna Mae Wong rarities such as *The Cheat* and *Toll of the Sea*. That series also gave us *The Bitter Tea of General Yen* as well as rare Charlie Chans, Mr Motos and Fu Manchus.

*SUTS* gave us days devoted to Laurel and Hardy and Marie Dressler along with many other great studio era stars.

We had *Forbidden Hollywood* night which was dedicated to pre-code films.

This holiday season gave us *The Cheaters*, *Remember the Night*, *Cluny Brown* and other memorable seasonal movies.

In the last twenty four hours we have had Randolph (cue chorus) Scott westerns, *Invasion of the Body Snatchers* and *North by Northwest*. *Modern Times is coming up as well as *The Big Store*.

They also gave us a day of beach movies on New Year's Eve as well as the *That's Entertainment* series.

I understand that some people are disappointed in TCM programming because they think too many modern movies are on the schedule.

But the TCM that I receive via DirecTV is a wonderful blend of classics, rarities and modern movies. Not every day is going to be a winner for me but it will be a winner for another viewer and I'm okay with that.

I just don't understand why I seem to get a different version of TCM than others.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

*"The guest programmers are suggesting alot of newer movies..."* - peeblesSF

While I usually take the opposite view in general discussions of this type, I have to admit that the selections of Guest Programmer Eric McCormack this month are mostly modern and rather uninspired.

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=215720

Seeing the titles he chose, I am left wondering "How did *The Hunchback Of Notre Dame* get on his list?" (A "monster movie"?) But then there are the Ray Bradburys and the Frank Millers that are sincere classic film fans and choose accordingly.

I think the McCormack evening - like the Edward Norton "Under The Influence" interview - will be one of the weaker efforts of the series.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> I just don't understand why I seem to get a different version of TCM than others.

Lynn, I get the same version as you, and it's called Turner Classic Movies. Apparently, other people get Turner Crappy Movies. This is just more proof of the existence of multiple universes; thus, the string theorists are correct. Personally, I want to exist in that universe where Lt. Uhura was showing her midriff.

Every movie Cagney did at Warner's has played TCM multiple times in the past 5 years or so with the exception of CEILING ZERO (1935). In spite of its being directed by Howard Hawks and co-starring Pat O'Brien, I don't think it was ever scheduled. I never got to see it anywhere. Is there some PC stuff going on with it or something?

As a Canadian, I am annoyed that I can't see "Tales of Hoffmann" and "The Fallen Idol" this week.

i'm watching tales of the hoffman right now, guess what? it's killing me. the red shoes is on next and i pray it isnt as boring as this is. oh yeah, i'm a big fan of tcm, but this is something that should be running after midnight.

The Red Shoes is very good. It has a real plot to follow, plus some interesting music and ballet. Plus the colour is outstanding.

This Hoffmann movie is a follow-up to The Red Shoes and isn't quite as good. It's basically an opera on film.