Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MGM Silents That Are Lost (or thought to be)

Here is a list of all MGM titles that are lost. This does not include the Metro and Goldwyn title acquired by MGM, or things like Cosmopolitan Pictures titles released through MGM. This is based on the MGM (pre Turner) vault list of the late 1970s. So it is possible that one or more titles may have surfaced recently, if so, please let me know so I can update this list.

Compared to Fox or Universal, this is a surprisingly small list of lost silents.

MGM Silents that are lost

THE ACTRESS (1928)

ADAM AND EVIL (1927)

THE ADVENTURER (1928)

ALIAS JIMMY VALENTINE (1928)

THE AUCTION BLOCK (1925)

THE BABY CYCLONE (1926)

BABY MINE (1927)

THE BARRIER (1926)

BEAU BROADWAY (1928)

THE BIG CITY (1928)

BLARNEY (1926)

THE BOY FRIEND (1926)

BRIGHT LIGHTS (1925)

BROTHERLY LOVE (1928)

THE BUGLE CALL (1927)

THE BUSHRANGER (1928)

BUTTONS (1927)

CALIFORNIA (1927)

THE CALLAHANS & THE MURPHYS (1927)

A CERTAIN YOUNG MAN (1928)

CIRCUS ROOKIES (1928)

DANCE MADNESS (1925)

THE DEMI-BRIDE (1926)

DON'T (1925)

DREAM OF LOVE (1928)

THE DUKE STEPS OUT (1929)

EXCESS BAGGAGE (1928)

THE EXQUISITE SINNER (1926)

FOUR WALLS (1928)

FRISCO SALLY LEVY (1927)

THE FRONTIERSMAN (1927)

THE GAY DECEIVER (1926)

THEGREAT DIVIDE (1925)

THE GREAT LOVE (1925)

A LITTLE JOURNEY (1926)

LONDON AFTER MIDNIGHT (1927)

LOVE'S BLINDNESS (1926)

LOVERS? (1927)

A MAN'S MAN (1929)

MARRIED FLIRTS (1924)

THE MASKED BRIDE (1925)

THE MASKS OF THE DEVIL (1928)

MONEY TALKS (1926)

MORGAN'S LAST RAID (1929)

ONE NIGHT IN ROME (1924)

THE ONLY THING (1925)

THE ROAD TO ROMANCE (1927)

ROSE MARIE (1927)

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT (1928)

THE SILENT ACCUSER (1924)

A SINGLE MAN (1928)

SINNERS IN SILK (1924)

A SLAVE TO FASHION (1925)

THE SNOB (1924)

THE TAXI DANCER (1927)

TEA FOR THREE (1927)

TELLING THE WORLD (1928)

THERE YOU ARE! (1926)

THE TOWER OF LIES (1925)

THE WANING SEX (1926)

WAR PAINT (1926)

WICKEDNESS PREFERRED (1927)

THE WIFE OF THE CENTAUR (1924)

WONDER OF WOMEN (1929)

Incomplete prints:

ALL AT SEA (1928)

THE BELLAMY TRIAL (1928)

THE BRIDGE OF SAN LUIS REY (1929)

THE DIVINE WOMAN (1928) One reel turned up in Russia

THE ENEMY (1927) Missing the last reel

HIS SECRETARY (1925)

THE LATEST FROM PARIS (1927)

LAUGH, CLOWN, LAUGH (1928) Missing most of reel four

LOVEY MARY (1926)

MIKE (1926)

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929) Technicolor print is lost

THE ROAD TO MANDALAY (1926) Exists as a 37min abridgement courtesy of Jon Mirsalis.

THUNDER (1929) 400 feet turned up recently

TIN HATS (1926)

WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS (1928) Missing part of reels six and seven

Message was edited by: Scottman for accuracy

Message was edited by: Scottman for accuracy

*Compared to Fox or Universal, this is a surprisingly small list of lost silents.* >>

Scottman,

Compared to many studios that is a surprisingly small list of lost silents. Part of the reason for that is that MGM had its own lab on the studio lot and Mayer would keep the lab busy in slow times by transferring the nitrate films to safety film. Unfortunately, they didn't get every film transferred to safety film before a series of vault fires destroyed some silents and talkies.

But, it's one of the big reasons that so much of MGM's film library still exists compared to other studios.

Scottman,

Huh, where is King Vidor's THE WIFE OF THE CENTAUR (1924) on the lost list? I can't find the picture mentioned? On Nitrateville, I guy just said last week that he had found a fragment of this film at an old antique store, but the movie itself is still lost. Unless you know something that I don't?

HIS HOUR is not lost anymore, so when are we going to get a restoration as was done with BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT? This is a very important film missing from the King Vidor, John Gilbert, even Elenoir Glyn, Cannon. It's disappointing that nothing much has been done with it to date.

JohnGilbertAndEleanorBoardmanOneHor.jpg

*John Gilbert And Eleanor Boardman, OPEN SLEIGH! From WIFE OF THE CENTAUR (1924)*

Jeffrey,

Yes, WIFE OF THE CENTAUR is unknown/lost and a few others that come to mind, if I am not mistaken, are THE TAXI DANCER 1927 with Joan Crawford, THE ONLY THING 1925 with Eleanor Boardman and THE GREAT DIVIDE 1925 with Alice Terry. I think these are also unknown/lost MGM's? I am sure there has to be many more?

Hi Jeffrey,

As I posted originally, the list was based on MGM's pre Turner holdings in the 1970s.

More than likely these films were lost then too. Why they were not on the list, I could not say.

Which is why I was asking for any corrections so that I could have a more accurate list. :-)

Thank you for letting me know about THE WIFE OF THE CENTAUR. I will add it to the list, along with the titles mentiond by nosound.

A big thanks to you both for helping make this list all the more accurate!

Scottman,

When Thames HOLLYWOOD was produced in 1979, HIS HOUR had not been found yet. But I print was uncovered in a Czechoslovakian archive in the Early to Mid 90's, and now resides at the Museum of Modern Art. It still has Czech Title-cards that haven't been translated to English.

Aside from a few live screenings, nothing much has been done with this movie to date. I don't understand at all why BARDLEYS THE MAGNIFICENT was restored right away after being found, while HIS HOUR has been sitting around neglected for the past 15 years or so??? Especially, since it is the film that made John Gilbert a Mega-Star!

This is the only still with Gilbert that I have from HIS HOUR, but it is a great one.

HisHour-JohnGilbert-AileenPringle.jpg

*John Gilbert And Aileen Pringle Form King Vidor's HIS HOUR (1924)*

Incidentally, in case your interested, here is a link to a recently formed John Gilbert Fans group on Vintage Life Network. I just discovered the group last night and joined for the first time. There is also a Valentino group, 1920's group, Silent films Group, TCM group, Flapper Beauties group, and much, much more!

http://vintagelifenetwork.ning.com/group/johngilbert

GilbertColdStare.jpg

*Be sure to check out the Brand New On-line Group for John Gilbert Fans on Vintage Life Network. You will also find numerous other neat groups to join!*

This is the link to my own Web-page on VLN:

http://vintagelifenetwork.ning.com/profile/TheGiant

• 2 weeks later...

I take it Mae Murray's final MGM films VALENCIA (1926) and ALTARS OF DESIRE (1927) do exist then? That is very good news. I've been told that they do by some - and that they don't by others.

Thanks for posting this informative list. Has a list been compiled of the MGM Silents that definately survive anywhere?