Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
casablancalover

Guity Pleasures

Is there one movie that you enjoy that you have to watch alone? I'll start....

*She Devil*, with Rosanne Barr, Meryl Streep, and Ed Begley Jr.

Message was edited by: casablancalover

I remember seeing _Mannequin_ (1987) in theater ...LOL!.... I always liked the opening song by Belinda Carlisle. Now it plays almost every other day on one of the Encore channels!

*Eddie and the Cruisers* used to be my number one guilty pleasure. I could recite the dialog along with the cast. Not because I'd seen the movie so many times but because the script wasn't very good and I knew what the lines were going to be.

But thanks to TCM and Guest Programmer Bill Maher, *The Oscar* is now my favorite guilty pleasure.

That movie is just so bad I love it. I still have no idea what Stephen Boyd was doing with his character but the entire movie is just a laugh a minute from beginning to end.

I still love the knife fight scene between Boyd and another character. The other character wields a knife and Boyd wields a waste basket. Mr Cutter was on the floor laughing so hard his eyes startinng watering.

Gotta love it.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:} > I still love the knife fight scene between Boyd and another character. The other character wields a knife and Boyd wields a waste basket. Mr Cutter was on the floor laughing so hard his eyes startinng watering.

>

> Gotta love it.{quote}

The "stage actors" in THE OSCAR probably learned their knife-fighting techniques from the eleven clueless jurors in TWELVE ANGRY MEN. Frankie Fane? Hell, they needed Jack Klugman to set 'em straight!

I agree with *Glitter* and *The Oscar* and would add:

NEWER MOVIES

*Showgirls* --- a modern classic in which not a single character acts or reacts in the way ANY real person would.

*Striptease* --- another stripper movie in which Demi Moore plays her character as if in a psychological drama while everyone else is playing broad comedy/satire

*G.I. Jane* - another Demi Moore gem

*Troop Beverly Hills* -- Shelley Long teaches her pampered troop that they are just as good as the Poors, plus film debut of Tori Spelling

*Baby Geniuses* --- indescribable bad taste, with supergenius babies cracking jokes about sex and "diaper gravy"

*Catwoman* --- you have to see it to believe it. It's like they stopped trying partway through

*Gigli* --- so awful that I don't think they even bothered with a score or incidental music. It's like watching a really dull, really slow train wreck.

OLDER MOVIES

*Valley of the Dolls* --- legendary

*The Bad Seed* --- so weird and mannered. I must have watched this movie 50 times.

*Cobra Woman* with the glorious Maria Montez as good 'n' evil twins

*Love Has Many Faces* --- a recent find on TCM that had me howling. Lana Turner at her hammiest.

AND FROM TELEVISION...

All Tori Spelling TV movies, but especially *Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?*

Believe it or not, I have the DVD of the one season of *Mary Kate and Ashley in Action!* , a Saturday morning cartoon from a few years back where they play themselves as tweens who, between stints on the red carpet, assist the U.S. government in espionage and foiling terrorists.

*Hard Contract* (1968) - Love story about an assassin (James Coburn) and a girl

who's a complete mess (Lee Remick). At one point she starts barking like a dog! :0

But what can I say, I love the music and the Spanish locations.

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> I know the thread is 1 "Guilty Pleasure" ... But I also want to include:??_Xanadu!_ (1980)!

That's quite all right; I've thought of others too!???My particular favorites are the old educational hygiene films of the fifties! Also, a movie I saw in Confirmation class (Lutheran-"This is most certainly true")- *Without Onions* -which was to fulfill our resist temptation part of the class.

*"Also, a movie I saw in Confirmation class (Lutheran-"This is most certainly true")- "Without Onions" - which was to fulfill our resist temptation part of the class."* - casablancalover

That's definitely not a "Missouri Synod" Lutheran confirmation class.

Kyle (forgotten everything including the Apostle's Creed) In Hollywood

GREASE 2 -- I like most of the songs, and the first time I saw this I had a feeling Michele Pfeiffer would be a big star, I don't know why. Connie Stevens plays a sexy "older" teacher. Maxwell Caulfield would make a cabbage look animated.

CARNIVAL STORY (1954) Down-on-her-luck Anne Baxter meets slimy Steve Cochran, joins the circus, becomes part of a top act with Lyle Bettger, but can't stay away from Steve!

ABOUT LAST NIGHT (1986) The last time Demi Moore looked like a normal girl to me rather than some plastic surgery superwoman. Realistic depiction of a relationship with all its mundane day-to-day hassles and compromises. I actually like Rob Lowe in this.

THE CRAWLING EYE (1957) Telepathic aliens are communicating with Janet Munro! Forrest Tucker steps in to help. A memorable and underrated sci-fi/horror flick.

GOODBYE CHARLIE (1964) Great Walter Matthau, Pat Boone deftly makes fun of his vanilla image, catchy tunes, hammy and fun Debbie, smooth and pleasant Tony Curtis, good supporting cast, love the opening credits!

Message was edited by: Bronxgirl48

Chip,

You really outdid yourself with that list of modern and classic guilty pleasures! Though I must say, I'm surprised *Showgirls* didn't make your list. ;)

> {quote:title=FrankGrimes wrote:}{quote}

> I cannot believe you forgot your guiltiest pleasure!

>

>

No, because guilty pleasures have to be ENJOYABLE, lol, and I hate every friggin' minute of this movie!!

No, because guilty pleasures have to be ENJOYABLE, lol, and I hate every friggin' minute of this movie!!

Reading those words are a guilty pleasure of mine. :)

OK ......I looked through my movie collection (I have all genres) ...& thought of films that I have enjoyed through the years...But then I started thinking of the films that were a toss up between "Guilty pleasure" & a film that was so bad that I fell in love with it for what ever reason!

...Since some are listing more than 1 ..here is my small list of "_Guilty pleasure films_"!

Valley of the Dolls (1967)

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (1970)

Topo, El (1970)

Torch Song (1953)

Xanadu (1980)

Showgirls (1995)

Caprice (1967)

The Prodigal (1955)

The Big Cube (1969)

Portrait in Black (1960)

Trog (1970)

Armageddon (1998I)

Female on the Beach (1955)

Midnight Lace (1960)

My collection of films are out for everyone to see,

so I can not claim to have good taste.

I enjoyed the movie "Vibes". It was pretty

soundly panned, but I am a sucker for Peter Falk.

I thought it wanted to be a Howard Hawks movie,

that didn't quite make it, but I gave it credit for

trying.