Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

ITS!... The 12th Edition of The Programming Challenge

*If TCM does't have this many, then purchase more.*

In a dream world, it might work. But you wouldn't last long in any company that has a budget, which TCM does. Everyone complains of repeats around here, but compare them to AMC and IFC (how many times, year in and year out, can they show that awful *Trust* ?!). Even HBO, etc. show repeats over the years. I don't get those premium channels, but every time they offer free previews, they're showing movies that were on during the previous year's freebies. Sorry to disrupt the thread, Chris. :-(

I would challenge you to do just a week-long schedule without a single repeat per time slot from within the last year. It would be a lot tougher than you think. :-)

Message was edited by: patful, who doesn't know the difference between a week and a month

I think it's well within Ted Turners budget. Not showing repeats in prime time is very possible even without buying or borrowing more films. .....Without spending a day or two going over what TCM has shown in Prime Time in the last months, I'll just say anything shown in prime time in the last 12 months would be on my dead movie list for February. That gives me a month of prime time to fill. Normally that would be 6 hours times 30 days which means I have to fill 180 hours of prime time with movies that aren't on my dead mvie list. I'm sure Turner has 180 hours of movies available that have not been on prime time. .....Once I establish what the dead movie list is, which would take a day or two unless I'm working at TCM and can get a fast computer read out, the rest shouldn't be that hard. ......I think you can keep it well within Ted Turners budget and give him a better station and if I couldn't avoid all the prime time repeats, then indeed I should be fired as program executive if this was all in the real world. ......Once you establish the 12 month dead movie list, then you have your list of movies not shown in prime time in a while. Then each month movies would drop off the dead movie list. Anybody that has done any bookeeping or scheduling could do this. ....As for me spending the next few days on this for no pay, forget about it, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be done. We are only talking about filling 180 prime time hours. Thars about 90 movies. Certainly there are 90 movies TCM has that they haven't shown in prime time in the last 12 months. I mean, they have 7 decades of movies to chose from.

Again, To make a month list I need more info. What movies have been shown in prime time in the last 12 months and what movies haven't that are in the Turner vaults. Even if I would spend all the time to make a list of what has been shown in prime time the last 12 months, I still don't have a list of the Turner movies not shown, so I would need more inside info .....If me or you were program execs we would have that info and the selection then would be much easier. .......Again, no deaths or birthdays or special hosts would change the dead movie list. If a movie is in the prime time dead movie list, it stays in jail until its 12 months are up.

After you establish a 12 month dead movie list and a probably bigger unshown movie list, then you let the birthdays and guest hosts and Osbourne and such do their stuff with the unshown list....but they have to stick to the unshown on prime time list, no dipping into the dead movie list. .....This is just an option of programming that could be done. It wouldn't be that hard to come up with an unshown in prime time movie list and update it every month. ...Do I have access to all this TCM data, no I don't, but they do. ....Again, this is just a very possible programming option.

Message was edited by: WhyaDuck

While I appreciate the point you are trying to make you don't really need a list to do this game. If you are interested all you need to do is see the rules at the start of this thread. There are also links to previous challenges to give you an idea of how it is played. (The rules have pretty much been the same in the previous challenges.)

The contest has about three weeks left but you only need to do a schedule for a week. If you have any questions about doing a schedule let us know and any number of us will be happy to help.

This runs through Feb. 11. After the contest your fellow board members will vote for their favorite schedule and the winner gets to host the next challenge.

*I think it's well within Ted Turners budget.*

Ted Turner no longer owns TCM and hasn't owned it since he merged his broadcast empire with Time-Warner back in the late 1990s. Nor does TCM own a film library. The former Turner film library is controlled by Warners and TCM must rent all the movies it broadcasts.

As for your other points about repeats, Patful has addressed them far better than I could. We also need to remember that we are in an economic recession (and have been for over a year) and it is crazy to think that these tough times don't affect the operating budget of TCM.

But, the point of the challenge isn't about any of that. It's about putting yourself in TCMProgrammr's shoes and creating a week-long schedule following the same criteria he and his staff do.

He follows the thread and uses some of the ideas that we come up with in future schedules.

Have ideas for movies that should be shown, the Challenge is a great way to promote that.

Message was edited by: lzcutter because some of is a much more accurate assessment than he uses all of our ideas.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> Have ideas for movies that should be shown, the Challenge is a great way to promote that.

Well said, Lynn. It's great that TCM's VP for programming is actually following the thread and may, when it is possible, incorporate some of those ideas into future TCM schedules.

*As for me spending the next few days on this for no pay, forget about it...*

But that's why we're here. It's fun. If you don't want to try this, there are plenty of other threads out there that complain about reruns. That's not what this one is about.

Now, let's try to keep it fun in here. Please.

Hi, movieman,

Just wanted to let you know that in past Challenges we have considered public domain films as freebies, not part of the Premiere count. In essence, it would be like not costing TCM to run, so it doesn't dig into the budget for premieres, so to speak.

filmlover

*...in past Challenges we have considered public domain films as freebies...*

Um, nobody told me. It's a conspiracy, I tell you! To be honest, I don't know what constitutes a public domain film, so it wouldn't help me.

Patful, a public domain film is one which has lost its copyright. whether due to age or a failure to renew in a timely fashion.

This means anyone can broadcast them or duplicate them for DVD without paying royalties.

Many great movies are in the public domain, including *Royal Wedding, His Girl Friday, Til the Clouds Roll By, Africa Screams, A Farewell to Arms, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Heidi* --- there are many, including the vast majority of silents.

See lists at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Public_domain_films

My only concern is that everyone knows what they are. If they weren't counted before then that is fine by me. I don't want to overturn precedent. Based on Chip's link for a list, which I appreciate, then we won't count them toward the eight. (I don't know why I don't remember that.)

The only thing would be to then indicate the film is in the public domain on your schedule.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks to all for your help.

Message was edited by: movieman1957

I have pasted the PD link to the original instructions and have noted the PDs won't count against the premieres there.

*The only thing would be to then indicate the film is in the public domain on your schedule.*

Is it OK if I skip using the PD label and continue to use them as premieres? I have a hard enough time doing these schedules, checking for PD status would be extra work, and I'm lazy.

> {quote:title=movieman1957 wrote:}{quote}

> While I appreciate the point you are trying to make you don't really need a list to do this game. If you are interested all you need to do is see the rules at the start of this thread. There are also links to previous challenges to give you an idea of how it is played. (The rules have pretty much been the same in the previous challenges.)

>

> The contest has about three weeks left but you only need to do a schedule for a week. If you have any questions about doing a schedule let us know and any number of us will be happy to help.

>

> This runs through Feb. 11. After the contest your fellow board members will vote for their favorite schedule and the winner gets to host the next challenge.

movieman, I am making a stab at this, and have thus far managed to put a day and a half together of programming, in a couple of hours. I am using only movies I have actually seen - and genuinely like. I have no shortage of these, and will have no trouble filling the week. I also have no shortage of themes, either, which make it so much fun. That said, however, I do have concerns that, even if I can get running times to fit with my selections and themes, I may find the other requisite elements way too daunting )Premiers, etc. You see, I am confused about what might limit TCM being able to play all of my selections (the ones that have already aired there, are ok, I know)- which makes me question whether or not I am actually 'ready' to take this on. Anyway, I have another question rght now, too. I understand that TCM makes its programming available months in advance. I don't subscribe to 'Now Playing', nor do I look ahead to the schedules (or know where to). Is it still ok to pick a month that may be already available, even though I, myself, won't have looked at it?

Pia:

Programming any week is fine. As far as help with movies you might list the TCM data base is a big help. The libraries listed at the start of this thread contain films you won't have to count as premieres even if they have never been shown. If it comes from a another studio the TCM data base will often have an article written about it. When looking up a film the left hand column in the data base has a list of things related to a movie. If there is an article it will show in bold lettering. This is generally given it has already been shown on TCM.

I hope that helps. Good luck.

*CHIP HEARTS MOVIES*

*WEEK BEGINNING APRIL 26, 2009*

*SUN 26*

*A DEPRESSION NEEDN'T BE DEPRESSING!*

6 AM *The Runt Page* (1932), dir Raymond Nazarro, starring Shirley Temple, Educational, 10 min, p/d

6:10 AM *War Babies* (1932), dir. Charles Lamont, starring Shirley Temple, Educational, 10 min, p/d

6:20 AM *The Pie-Covered Wagon* (1932), dir Charles Lamont, starring Shirley Temple, Educational, 10 min p/d

6:30 AM *Glad Rags to Riches* (1933), dir Charles Lamont, starring Shirley Temple, Educational, 10 min, p/d

6:45 AM *Gold Diggers of 1933* (1933), dir Mervyn LeRoy, starring Warren William, Joan Blondell, Ruby Keeler, WB, 96 min

8:30 AM *Gold Diggers of 1935* (1935), dir Busby Berkeley, starring Dick Powell, Gloria Stuart, WB, 98 min

10:15 AM *Stand Up and Cheer* (1934), dir Hamilton MacFadden, starring Warner Baxter, Shirley Temple, Fox, 80 min PREMIERE

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROL BURNETT*

11:45 AM *Annie* (1982), dir. John Huston, starring Aileen Quinn, Carol Burnett, Columbia, 126 min

1 PM *Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed?* (1963), dir. Daniel Mann, starring Dean Martin, Elizabeth Montgomery, Carol Burnett, Paramount, 103 min, p/s

2:45 PM: *Pete 'n' Tillie* (1972), dir Martin Ritt, starring Walter Matthau, Carol Burnett, Universal, 100 min PREMIERE

4:30 PM *The Front Page* (1974), dir Billy Wilder, starring Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon, Universal, 105 min, p/s

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY DOUGLAS SIRK*

6:15 PM *Lured* (1947), dir Douglas Sirk, starring Boris Karloff, Lucille Ball, UA, 102 min p/s

8 PM *Imitation of Life* (1959), dir Douglas Sirk, starring Lana Turner, Juanita Moore, Universal, 125 min, p/s

10:15 min *Magnificent Obsession* (1954), dir Douglas Sirk, starring Rock Hudson, Jane Wyman, Universal, 108 min, p/s

*MON 27*

*SILENT SUNDAY NIGHTS*

12:15 AM *A Fool There Was* (1915), dir Frank Powell, starring Theda Bara, Fox Vaudeville Company, 67 min

1:30 AM *East Lynne* (1916), dir Bertram Bracken, starring Theda Bara, Fox, 50 min

*TCM INTERNATIONAL*

*LOST & FOUND #1*

1:20 AM *Urashima Taro* (1918), dir Seitaro Kitayama, Nikkatsu-Muk?jima, animated short, Japan, 2 minutes (Thought to be lost, found in July 2007 in Osaka and restored)

*Hanawa Hekonai meit? no maki* (1917), dir Junichi Kouchi, animated short, Japan, 2 min (Thought lost, found in July 2007 in Osaka and restored)

2:30 AM *Tie San Gong Zhu (Princess Iron Fan* ) (1941), dir Wan Guchan, Wan Laiming, starring Wan Guchan, China, 65 minutes (1st feature length Asian animated film)

3:45 AM *Momotaro: Umi No Shinpei (Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors* ) (1945), dir Mitsuto Seo, Sh?chiku D?ga Kenky?jo, 74 min (2nd Asian feature length animated film, lost from 1945-1983, when a film was found in a warehouse)

*TWO BY RENOIR*

5 AM *The River* (1951), dir Jean Renoir, starring Nora Swinburne, UA, 99 min

6:45 AM *The Woman on the Beach* (1947), dir Jean Renoir, starring Robert Ryan, Joan Bennett, RKO, 71 min

*ARE YOU READY FOR THE 60'S?*

8 AM *Good Times* (1967), dir William Friedkin, starring Sonny and Cher, George Sanders, Columbia, 91 min

9:45 AM *Head* (1968), dir Bob Rafelson, starring The Monkees, Annette Funicello, Columbia, 110 min

*ROOTING OUT THE REDS*

11:45 AM *Mission to Moscow* (1943), dir Michael Curtiz, starring Walter Huston, Ann Harding, WB, 123 min

2 PM *Tender Comrade* (1943) dir Edward Dmytryk, starring Ginger Rogers, Robert Ryan, RKO, 101 min

3:45 PM *I Married a Communist* (1949), dir Robert Stevenson, starring Laraine Day, Robert Ryan, RKO, 73 min

5 PM *I Was a Communist for the FBI* (1951), dir Gordon Douglas, starring Frank Lovejoy, Dorothy Hart, WB, 83 min

6:30 PM *Big Jim McLain* (1952), dir Edward Ludwig, starring John Wayne, Nancy Olson, WB, 90 min

*STAR OF THE MONTH CLAUDETTE COLBERT*

8 PM *Midnight* (1939), dir Mitchell Leisen, starring Claudette Colbert, Don Ameche, Paramount, 94 min, p/s

9:45 PM *The Smiling Lieutenant* (1931), dir Ernst Lubitsch, starring Maurice Chevalier, Claudette Colbert, Paramount, 93 min, p/s

11:20 PM *Young Man of Manhattan* (1930), dir Monta Bell, starring Claudette Colbert, Ginger Rogers, Paramount, 79 min PREMIERE

*TUE 28*

12:45 *It's a Wonderful World* (1939), dir W.S. Van Dyke II, starring Claudette Colbert,James Stewart, MGM, 87 min

*LOST AND FOUND #2*

2:15 AM *A Star is Born* (1954), dir George Cukor, starring Judy Garland, James Mason, WB, 176 min

5:15 AM *New York, New York* (1977), dir Martin Scorsese, starring Liza Minnelli, Robert DeNiro, UA, 163 min

8 AM *Touch of Evil* (1958), dir Orson Welles, starring Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, Universal, 112 min, p/s

*SETTING SAIL*

10 AM *The Boat* (1921), dir Buster Keaton, starring Buster Keaton, First National/WB, 25 min (Thought lost until 1952 when James Mason bought Buster Keaton's house, found a copy and had it restored).

110:30 AM *Three Little Sew and Sews* (1939), dir Del Lord, starring The Three Stooges, Columbia, 20 min.

11 AM *The Old Man and the Sea* (1958), dir. by John Sturges, starring Spencer Tracy, WB, 86 min

12:30 PM *Captains Courageous* (1937), dir Victor Fleming, starring Spencer Tracy, Freddie Bartholomew, MGM, 115 min

*MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY THIS DAY IN HISTORY, 1789*

2:30 PM *Mutiny on the Bounty* (1935), dir Frank Lloyd, starring Clark Gable, Charles Laughton, MGM, 132 min

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROLYN JONES*

4:45 PM *The Bachelor Party* (1957), dir Delbert Mann, starring Don Murray, Carolyn Jones, UA, 92 min

6:30 PM *Invasion of the Body Snatchers* (1956), dir by Don Siegel, starring Dana Wynter, Carolyn Jones, Allied Artists, 80 min p/s

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANN-MARGRET*

8 PM *Kitten with a Whip* (1964), dir by Douglas Heyes, starring Ann-Margret, John Forsythe, Universal, 82 min PREMIERE

9:30 PM *The Swinger* (1966), dir George Sidney, starring Ann-Margret, Paramount, 105 min, p/s

11:15 PM *Viva Las Vegas* (1964), dir George Sidney, starring Elvis Presley, Ann-Margret, MGM, 85 min

*WED 29*

*LOST AND FOUND #3*

12:45 AM *London After Midnight* (1927), dir Tod Browning, starring Lon Chaney, MGM, 69 min

2 AM *Greed* (1924), dir Erich von Stroheim, starring Zasu Pitts, Jean Hersholt, 4 hours, MGM

*MUSEUM PIECES*

6 AM *The Music Box* (1932), dir James Parrott, starring Laurel and Hardy, MGM, 29 min

6:30 AM *Dancing Lady* (1933), dir Robert Z. Leonard, starring Joan Crawford, Clark Gable, The Three Stooges, MGM, 92 min

8 AM *Hello, Dolly!* (1969), dir Gene Kelly, starring Barbra Streisand, Louis Armstrong, Fox, 146 min p/s

10:30 AM *We're Not Dressing* (1934), dir Norman Taurog, starring Bing Crosby, Carole Lombard, Ethel Merman, Paramount, 74 min, p/s

Noon *Blue Hawaii* (1961), dir Norman Taurog, starring Elvis Presley, Angela Lansbury, Paramount, 102 min, p/s

2 PM *The Facts of Life* (1960), dir Melvin Frank, starring Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, UA, 103 min

4 PM *The Long, Long Trailer* (1953), dir Vincente Minnelli, starring Lucille Ball, Desi Arnaz, MGM, 103 min

6 PM *The Gang's All Here* (1943), dir Busby Berkeley, starring Alice Faye, Carmen Miranda, Fox, 103 min, p/s

8 PM *A Child is Waiting* (1963), dir John Cassavetes, starring Judy Garland, Burt Lancaster, UA, 104 min

10 PM *The Third Man* (1949), dir Carol Reed, starring Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles, British Lion Film Corp., 104 min, p/s

*THU 30*

MIDNIGHT *Shanghai Express* (1932), dir Josef von Sternberg, starring Marlene Dietrich, Anna May Wong, Paramount, 80 min, p/s

1:30 AM *Min and Bill* (1930), dir George W. Hill, starring Marie Dressler, Wallace Beery, MGM, 66 min

3:15 AM *The Barefoot Contessa* (1954), dir Joseph L. Mankiewicz, starring Ava Gardner, Humphrey Bogart, Cinecitta, 130 min p/s

5:30 AM *Anatomy of a Murder* (1959), dir Otto Preminger, starring James Stewart, Lee Remick, Columbia, 160 min

*YOU'VE GOT (SPLIT) PERSONALITY*

8:15 AM *Bewitched* (1945), dir Arch Oboler, starring Phyllis Thaxter, Edmund Gwenn, MGM, 65 min

9:30 AM *Third of a Man* (1962), dir Robert Lewin, starring Simon Oakland, James Drury, UA, 82 min

11 AM *Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde* (1941), dir Victor Fleming, starring Spencer Tracy, Ingrid Bergman, Lana Turner, MGM, 113 min

*JEAN HARLOW, MEET ANITA LOOS*

2 PM *Red-Headed Woman* (1932), dir Jack Conway, starring Jean Harlow, Lewis Stone, MGM, 79 min

3:30 PM *Hold Your Man* (1933), dir Sam Wood, starring Jean Harlow, Clark Gable, MGM, 87 min

5 PM *The Girl from Missouri* (1934), dir Jack Conway, starring Jean Harlow, Lionel Barrymore, Franchot Tone, MGM, 75 min

6:15 PM *Riffraff* (1936), dir J. Walter Ruben, starring Jean Harlow, Spencer Tracy, MGM, 94 min

*70TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE OPENING OF THE NEW YORK WORLD'S FAIR*

8 PM *The World of Tomorrow* (1984), dir Lance Bird, Tom Johnson, narrated by Jason Robards, American Portrait, 83 min PREMIERE

9:30 PM *The Middleton Family at the New York World's Fair* (1939), dir by Robert R. Snody, starring Marjorie Lord, James Lydon, Audio Productions, 55 min p/d PREMIERE

10:30 PM *It Happened at the World's Fair* (1963), dir by Norman Taurog, starring Elvis Presley, MGM, 105 min

*FRI 1*

12:15 PM AM Newsreel Footage (1939), Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland at the 1939 World's Fair, MGM, 4 minutes (as seen on the *Babes in Arms* DVD)

12:30 PM *Centennial Summer* (1946), dir Otto Preminger, starring Jeanne Crain, Cornell Wilde, Fox, 102 min PREMIERE

2:15 AM *A Day on Treasure Island* (1939), narrated by James FitzPatrick, MGM, 10 min

2:30 AM *Meet Me in St. Louis* (1944), dir by Vincente Minnelli, starring Judy Garland, Margaret O'Brien, MGM, 113 min

*THE ADVENTURES OF ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON*

4:30 AM *Treasure Island* (1950), dir Byron Haskin, starring Bobby Driscoll, Robert Newton, Disney, 96 min

6:05 AM *Return to Treasure Island* (1954), dir Ewald Andre DuPont, starring Tab Hunter, Dawn Addams, UA, 75 min

7:20 AM *Kidnapped* (1960), dir Robert Stevenson, starring Peter Finch, James MacArthur, Peter O'Toole, Disney, 97 min

*BEST FRIENDS FOREVER*

9:15 AM *Havana Widows* (1933), dir Ray Enright, starring Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell, WB, 62 min

10:30 AM *I've Got Your Number* (1934), dir Ray Enright, starring Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell, WB, 69 min

11:45 AM *Traveling Saleslady* (1935), dir Ray Enright, starring Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell, WB, 65 min

1 PM *We're in the Money* (1935), dir Ray Enright, starring Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell, WB, 66 min

2:15 PM *Miss Pacific Fleet* (1935), dir Ray Enright, starring Joan Blondell, Glenda Farrell, WB, 66 min

*HOMICIDAL RELATIVES: THEY KILL FOR CASH!*

3:30 PM *Three Bad Sisters* (1956), dir Gilbert Kay, starring Marla English, UA, 76 min

5 PM *The Big Bluff* (1955), dir W. Lee Wilder, starring John Bromfield, Martha Vickers, UA, 70 min

6:15 PM *Too Late for Tears* (1949), dir Byron Haskin, starring Lizabeth Scott, Dan Duryea, UA, 99 min p/d

*INTERVIEW WITH A LEGEND: THE LIFE AND CAREER OF DEANNA DURBIN*

8 PM Interview with Deanna Durbin

9 PM *Three Smart Girls* (1936), dir Henry Koster, starring Alice Brady, Deanna Durbin, Universal, 84 min, p/s

9:30 *Every Sunday* (1936), dir Felix E. Feist, starring Judy Garland, Deanna Durbin, MGM, 11 min

9:45 *One Hundred Men and a Girl* (1937), dir Henry B. Koster, starring Deanna Durbin, Adolphe Menjou, Universal, 84 min p/s

11:15 Repeat Interview with Deanna Durbin

*SAT 2*

12:15 *Three Smart Girls Grow Up* (1939), dir Henry Koster, starring Deanna Durbin, Robert Cummings, Universal, 90 min, PREMIERE

*TCM UNDERGROUND*

1:45 AM *Robot Monster* (1953), dir Phil Tucker, starring George Nader, 3 Dimension Pictures, 66 min

3 AM *The Creeping Terror* (1964), dir Vic Savage, starring Vic Savage, Metropolitan International Pictures, 75 min

4:15 AM *Attack of the Crab Monsters* (1957), dir Roger Corman, starring Russell Johnson, Allied Artists, 62 min

*OUTERSPACE HIJINKS*

6:30 AM *Captain Video, Master of the Stratosphere* (1951), dir Spencer Gordon Bennett, Wallace Grissell, starring Judd Holdren, Columbia, 287 min

11:30 AM *Devil Girl from Mars* (1945), dir David MacDonald, starring Hugh McDermott, Hazel Court, British Lion, 77 min, p/d

*STARRING BARBARA PAYTON*

1 PM *Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye* (1950), dir Gordon Douglas, starring James Cagney, Barbara Payton, WB 102 min

2:45 PM *Dallas* (1950), dir Stuart Heisler, starring Gary Cooper, Barbara Payton, WB, 94 min

4:30 PM *Only the Valiant* (1951), dir Gordon Douglas, starring Gregory Peck, Barbara Payton, WB, 105 min

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY VERNON CASTLE*

6:15 PM *The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle* (1939), dir by H.C. Potter, starring Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, RKO, 93 min

*THE ESSENTIALS*

8 PM *Carmen Jones* (1954), dir Otto Preminger, starring Dorothy Dandridge, Harry Belafonte, Fox, 105 min, p/s

9:45 PM *Bright Road* (1953), dir Gerald Mayer, starring Dorothy Dandridge, Harry Belafonte, MGM, 68 min

*DISCOVERING SPENCER WILLIAMS*

11 PM *The Blood of Jesus* (1941), dir Spencer Williams, starring Cathryn Caviness, Spencer Williams, Sack Amusement Enterprises, 68 min p/d (thought lost until a copy was found in the mid 80's in a warehouse in Tyler, TX

*SUN 3*

12:15 AM *Beale Street Mama* (1947), dir Spencer Williams, starring July Jones, Spencer Williams, Sack Amusement Enterprises, 63 min, p/d

1:30 AM *The Girl in Room 20* (1946), dir Spencer Williams, starring Geraldine Brock, Spencer Williams, Sack Amusement Enterprises, 63 min, p/d

*REDD FOXX...IS THAT YOU?*

2:45 AM *Norman...Is That You?* (1976), dir George Schlatter, starring Redd Foxx, Pearl Bailey, MGM, 91 min

4:30 AM *Cotton Comes to Harlem* (1970), dir Ossie Davis, starring Godfrey Cambridge, Raymond St. Jacques, Redd Foxx, UA, 97 min

p/s = Previously Screened p/d = Public Domain

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, because two movies can't show at the same time.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies

*CHIP HEARTS MOVIES - WEEK BEGINNING APRIL 26, 2009*

*PROGRAM NOTES*

*MUSEUM PIECES & LOST AND FOUND*

*CATCHING UP WITH DEANNA DURBIN*

*A DEPRESSION NEEDN'T BE DEPRESSING!*

*STAR OF THE MONTH: CLAUDETTE COLBERT*

*BIRTHDAY TRIBUTES TO CAROL BURNETT, DOUGLAS SIRK, CAROLYN JONES, ANN-MARGRET, and VERNON CASTLE*

PREMIERES: *Stand Up and Cheer, Pete 'n' Tillie, Young Man of Manhattan, Kitten With a Whip, The World of Tomorrow, The Middleton Family at the New York World's Fair, Centennial Summer, Three Smart Girls Grow Up*

I chose the week beginning April 26, 2009.

The week's programming kicks off with a tip of the hat to our declining economy, featuring films made during the Great Depression. Beginning with Shirley Temple's public domain Baby Burlesks and continuing optimistically with feel-good Gold Diggers movies, we march toward the TCM Premiere of *Stand Up and Cheer* with Shirley Temple, in which FDR appoints a Secretary of Amusement to perk up the population in the midst of the Depression (let's hope Mr. Obama tunes in that day and gets some ideas). The next movie, *Annie* , is a newer film, but one set in the period with yet another tot cheering up America.

I don't know about you, but the endless reporting in the media these days on how awful things are really, uh, depresses me. I prefer the Gold Diggers/Shirley Temple approach. Chin up, everybody!

*Annie* also kicks off a birthday tribute to Carol Burnett, which includes her film debut in *Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed?* and the TCM Premiere of *Pete 'n' Tillie* , followed by a birthday celebration for director Douglas Sirk. Silent Sunday Nights features two of the three still-existing Theda Bara features.

Throughout the week you'll get little groupings called "Lost and Found," consisting of films that were once considered lost and then found, or films that were restored or recreated using found material, stills, original storyboards, etc. The first batch is found in TCM International. *Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors* was the second full-length animated film made in Asia, and was believed lost from 1945 until 1983, when a copy was found in a warehouse. It's joined by two silent shorts lost for decades until copies were found in 2007 in Osaka, as well as *Princess Iron Fan* , the first feature length Asian animated film.

The morning begins with two terrific Jean Renoir films, followed by kitschy offerings from The Monkees and Sonny and Cher. Next up, we remember the 50's Red Scare with two movies that the HUAC condemned (*Mission to Moscow* with Walter Huston and *Tender Comrade* with Ginger Rogers), followed by three anti-communist movies that were produced in the wake of the blacklist, including *Big Jim McLain* with John Wayne as a HUAC investigator.

My SOTM is Claudette Colbert, and the offerings include one of my absolute favorite movies ( *Midnight* ), as well as the TCM Premiere of *Young Man of Manhattan* co-starring Ginger Rogers. Ginger pops up a lot this week for some reason.

Lost and Found #2 rolls in next, with *A Star is Born* (missing scenes reconstructed with stills and the original soundtrack), *New York, New York* (excised 20 minute "Happy Endings" number restored), *Touch of Evil* (recut as Orson Welles originally intended), and *The Boat* with Buster Keaton (thought lost until James Mason bought Keaton's house and discovered a copy in 1952 in the basement).

*The Boat* kicks off a day of seagoing movies, with offerings as diverse as movies starring The Three Stooges and Spencer Tracy, leading up to *Mutiny on the Bounty* --- airing to commemorate the actual anniversary of the real-life mutiny! Following this are birthday tributes to Carolyn Jones and Ann-Margret, including the TCM Premiere of the trashterpiece that is *Kitten with a Whip* .

Lost and Found #3 comes next, with *London After Midnight* (lost and reconstructed with stills) and *Greed* (existing footage combined with stills to restore as much as possible).

I had lots of fun with the next day's programming --- the stars of each film in the "Museum Pieces" section have a museum somewhere in the world dedicated to their careers. There's even a MARIE DRESSLER Museum! I'd hope TCM would tape intros at each museum --- and if TCM Programmer is reading this, what a terrific hour-long original program or batch of interstitials a tour of these museums could make! For your information, for those interested, this post will be followed by a specific post listing the museums and their weblinks. And for those really interested, I wasn't able to fit the museums for *Gone with the Wind* , John Wayne, Burt Reynolds, Liberace, James Dean, Roy Rogers & Dale Evans, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Andy Griffith, or the not-yet-open Katharine Hepburn museum, but check them out on the web.

The section called "You've Got (Split) Personality is pretty self-evident, and is followed by four of the five films that starred Jean Harlow and were scripted by Anita Loos. (The fifth is *Saratoga* , Harlow's final film, and certainly the least-appealing of the five).

Next, we're celebrating the 70th Anniversary of the 1939 New York World's Fair with a pair of TCM Premieres: *The World of Tomorrow* , a 1984 PBS documentary on the Fair, and the wonderfully weird *The Middleton Family at the New York World's Fair* from 1939. This little gem was created by Westinghouse to show at the Fair to promote their products and as a promotional piece steering people to their exhibits. It's VERY pro-technology (and mighty suspicious of lazy "artistic" types), and features a robot that smokes and a dishwashing competition between Mrs. Drudge (using a sink) and Mrs. Modern (with a dishwasher). Guess who wins? You can watch the film in its entirety free online at http://www.archive.org/details/middleton_family_worlds_fair_1939

After that come films celebrating other fairs and expositions: *It Happened at the World's Fair* (Seattle World's Fair), the TCM Premiere of *Centennial Summer* (Philadelphia Centennial Exposition), *Meet Me in St. Louis* (St. Louis World's Fair), and and *A Day on Treasure Island* (Golden Gate International Exposition).

The TravelTalk on Treasure Island is followed by two movies based on Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island as well as one based on his Kidnapped .

"Best Friends Forever" features five 1930's Warner films starring lifelong real-life pals Joan Blondell and Glenda Farrell, two of my faves and always good for a laugh. Three crime dramas about people plotting to kill their relatives for financial gain follow.

For my celebrity interview I chose the reclusive Deanna Durbin, who we briefly discussed last year in another thread, even though I know she'd never do the interview in real life. The films I selected include one TCM Premiere, *Three Smart Girls Grow Up* .

For TCM Underground, I picked three of the silliest (and worst) monster movies ever made, all guaranteed to have you howling. *Robot Monster* is basically a gorilla with a television set for a head; *Creeping Terror* sports a monster that is actually an old piece of carpet that has college students crawling underneath to make it creep (you can occasionally see their legs and sneakers sticking out from under the carpet); and *Attack of the Crab Monsters* . Run for your lives! That carpet is inching toward you!

Saturday morning kicks off with the entire *Captain Video, Master of the Stratosphere* serial, followed by the campy *Devil Girl from Mars*.

Saturday afternoon is devoted to the films of largely forgotten actress Barbara Payton, who has one of the saddest stories in Hollywood history. Although she played opposite stars like James Cagney, Gary Cooper, and Gregory Peck (as you see this afternoon), her severe alcoholism, mental illness, and messy personal life (public adulterous affairs, drunken brawls) kept her in the press in the worst way. The major studios dropped her fast and she was starring in garbage like *Bride of the Gorilla* in only a couple of years. Only a few years later she was homeless and working as a street prostitute. She "wrote" an exploitive autobiography in 1963 called I Am Not Ashamed (for a payment of $1000), and died in 1969 at age 39. No *Bride of the Gorilla* here --- I chose her three best films.

Today is the birthday of Vernon Castle, so we celebrate with *The Story of Vernon and Irene Castle* with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, a goodie that should air more often!

For The Essentials I chose *Carmen Jones* starring Dorothy Dandridge and Harry Belafonte, followed by *Bright Road* with the same stars. I decided to stick with films starring African-American actors for the night.

First up, three "race" films directed by and starring Spencer Williams, best known for playing Andy on TV's *Amos and Andy* . Race films were extremely low-budget independent all-black films that were made for exhibition in segregated theatres, as well as in black churches and community buildings. (The first film, *The Blood of Jesus* --- a hit at the time --- was thought to be lost until a copy was found in the mid-80's in a warehouse in Tyler, Texas). Then, we're closing out the week with a couple of racy 70's comedies starring Redd Foxx, who somehow manages to make material that could be offensive absolutely hysterical. Enjoy!

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies, to reflect removal of a double-sched time slot.

Message was edited by: ChipHeartsMovies for a timing goof

*MUSEUM PIECES*

Here are the locations and website addresses of the museums that I reference in my schedule.

*MUSEUM PIECES*

6 AM *The Music Box* (1932)

Laurel & Hardy Museum

Harlem, Georgia

http://www.laurelandhardymuseum.org/'>http://www.laurelandhardymuseum.org/'>http://www.laurelandhardymuseum.org/'>http://www.laurelandhardymuseum.org/

6:30 AM *Dancing Lady*

Clark Gable Birth Home & Museum

Cadiz, OH

http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=55939'>http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=55939'>http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=55939'>http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=55939

The Stoogeum

Springhouse, PA

http://www.stoogeum.com'>http://www.stoogeum.com'>http://www.stoogeum.com'>http://www.stoogeum.com

8 AM *Hello, Dolly!* (1969)

Louis Armstrong House Museum

New York, NY

http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org/'>http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org/'>http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org/'>http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org/

10:30 AM *We're Not Dressing* (1934)

(Bing) Crosby Museum

Spokane, WA

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus-Resources/Museums-and-Libraries/Crosby-Museum/'>http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus-Resources/Museums-and-Libraries/Crosby-Museum/'>http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus-Resources/Museums-and-Libraries/Crosby-Museum/'>http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus-Resources/Museums-and-Libraries/Crosby-Museum/

Noon *Blue Hawaii* (1961)

Graceland

Memphis, TN

http://www.elvis.com'>http://www.elvis.com'>http://www.elvis.com'>http://www.elvis.com

2 PM *The Facts of Life* (1960)

Bob Hope Gallery of American Entertainment

Palm Springs CA

http://www.bobhope.com/Exhibits.html'>http://www.bobhope.com/Exhibits.html'>http://www.bobhope.com/Exhibits.html'>http://www.bobhope.com/Exhibits.html

4 PM *The Long, Long Trailer* (1953)

The Lucy-Desi Museum

Jamestown, NY

http://www.lucy-desi.com/'>http://www.lucy-desi.com/'>http://www.lucy-desi.com/'>http://www.lucy-desi.com/

6 PM *The Gang's All Here* (1943)

Carmen Miranda Museum

Rio de Janiero

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d311347-Reviews-Carmen_Miranda_Museum-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html'>http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d311347-Reviews-Carmen_Miranda_Museum-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html'>http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d311347-Reviews-Carmen_Miranda_Museum-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html'>http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d311347-Reviews-Carmen_Miranda_Museum-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

8 PM *A Child is Waiting* (1963)

Judy Garland Museum

Grand Rapids, MN

http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/'>http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/'>http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/'>http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/

10 PM *The Third Man* (1949)

The Third Man Museum

Vienna, Austria

http://www.3mpc.net/englsamml.htm'>http://www.3mpc.net/englsamml.htm'>http://www.3mpc.net/englsamml.htm'>http://www.3mpc.net/englsamml.htm

THU 30

MIDNIGHT *Shanghai Express* (1932)

The Marlene Dietrich Collection/Berlin Museum

Berlin

http://www.marlene.com/museum/md-berln.html'>http://www.marlene.com/museum/md-berln.html'>http://www.marlene.com/museum/md-berln.html'>http://www.marlene.com/museum/md-berln.html

1:30 AM *Min and Bill* (1930)

Marie Dressler Museum

Cobourg, Canada

http://www.mariedressler.ca/'>http://www.mariedressler.ca/'>http://www.mariedressler.ca/'>http://www.mariedressler.ca/

3:15 AM *The Barefoot Contessa* (1954)

Ava Gardner Museum

Smithfield, NC

http://www.avagardner.org/'>http://www.avagardner.org/'>http://www.avagardner.org/'>http://www.avagardner.org/

5:30 AM *Anatomy of a Murder* (1959)

Jimmy Stewart Museum

Indiana, PA

http://www.jimmy.org/'>http://www.jimmy.org/'>http://www.jimmy.org/'>http://www.jimmy.org/

6 AM *The Music Box* (1932)

Laurel & Hardy Museum

Harlem, Georgia

http://www.laurelandhardymuseum.org/

6:30 AM *Dancing Lady* (1933)

Clark Gable Birth Home & Museum

Cadiz, OH

http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=55939

The Stoogeum

Springhouse, PA

http://www.stoogeum.com

8 AM *Hello, Dolly!*

Louis Armstrong House Museum

New York, NY

http://www.louisarmstronghouse.org/

10:30 AM *We're Not Dressing* (1934)

(Bing) Crosby Museum

Spokane, WA

http://www.gonzaga.edu/Campus-Resources/Museums-and-Libraries/Crosby-Museum/

Noon *Blue Hawaii* (1961)

Graceland

Memphis, TN

http://www.elvis.com

2 PM *The Facts of Life* (1960)

Bob Hope Gallery of American Entertainment

Palm Springs CA

http://www.bobhope.com/Exhibits.html

4 PM *The Long, Long Trailer* (1953)

The Lucy-Desi Museum

Jamestown, NY

http://www.lucy-desi.com/

6 PM *The Gang's All Here* (1943)

Carmen Miranda Museum

Rio de Janiero

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303506-d311347-Reviews-Carmen_Miranda_Museum-Rio_de_Janeiro_State_of_Rio_de_Janeiro.html

8 PM *A Child is Waiting* (1963)

Judy Garland Museum

Grand Rapids, MN

http://www.judygarlandmuseum.com/

10 PM *The Third Man* (1949)

The Third Man Museum

Vienna, Austria

http://www.3mpc.net/englsamml.htm

THU 30

MIDNIGHT *Shanghai Express*

The Marlene Dietrich Collection/Berlin Museum

Berlin