Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Vintage Auto in Sunset Blvd.?

Fellow movie fans,

Been trying to find out what kind of car is the vintage custom auto referred to as "Escada Viscini" (sp??). It is the vehicle up on blocks in Norma Desmond's garage when Joe Gillis pulls in with his flat tire.

I've read in the imdb trivia that it was originally given to Peggy Hopkins Joyce by Walter Chrysler. Is it, indeed, a Chrysler? Or an import? If so, do you know the name??

Thanks for any info...

Dini

In the book SUNSET BOULEVARD FROM MOVIE TO MUSICAL, George Perry writes that the car is a vintage Isotta-Fraschini from the 1920's. The script had called for an Hispano-Suiza but one couldn't be located.

Unlikely that Walter Chrysler would have gifted anybody with anything...but in fact I think this car was also used in the Bing Crosby picture THE EMPEROR WALTZ directed a year before by Mr Billy Wilder.

On the special edition DVD of "Sunset Boulevard" they said that the Isotta that was used in the movie is currently on display in Las Vegas - I assume at the car museum that's in the Imperial Palace hotel. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone cares to see it.

Yeah I read too that it was an Isotta-Fraschini...and that it had belonged to silent (foreign, french I think) movie (& theatre?) star/entertainer/dancer Gaby Deslys, who made some stuff in Hollywood in the 1910's (after 1915, it seems).