Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Any James Cagney fans?

I just mentioned this another thread and excuse me for being redundant, but, Cagney is great in all the afore mentioned films, but how about BOY MEETS GIRL and the Bride Came COD? Don't forget his comedic talents!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm 24 years old and I love James Cagney's work. My favorite of his is White heat. Just awesome performance there. I'm so much into cagney that I'll probably get the warner bros collection of gangsters vol-1 and was wondering what other cagney movies are in sets?

What's the story on "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye"? I can't remember when was the last time I saw this film on TV. Unless it was on a local station somewhere, it's been 20 or 25 years since I've seen this movie at least. I know it was banned in at least one state, but a Cagney film gets some play. Was there a copy right problem? Has it ever been on TCM? It's a Warner film and I see the DVD is on sale, but no airtime"Lion in the Streets" although rarely played has been on. The same for "West Point Story" and "Never Steal Anything Small" But for some reason KTG has been missing and I was wondering why...

fred,

I don't know all the details, but it seems that while WB distributed Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye theatrically, they do not still own the rights to it. The DVD was apparently issued by Republic Home Video, and you can still find it through TCM/Movies Unlimited (this site).

Also, there aren't articles for this movie in the tcmdb.com entry, which suggests that perhaps TCM has never shown it

You are welcome, lazyking. The great thing is Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye is really cool. I'm not lyin'. Cagney plays an intellectual hoodlum who is a mean, mean dude. He is ably supported by Barbara Payton, Howard da Silva, Helena Carter, Barton Maclane, and Ward Bond. I bought the dvd and watched it a few months ago and it was good. I never got bored.

White Heat, the Roaring Twenties (even the title sounds exciting :D), Yankee Doodle Dandy...Cagney was one of the greats. I loved his rapid-fire way of speaking, that little swaggering walk, and that tough, streetsmart attitude of his. The sort of guy that seems really down-to-earth with common sense, yet really cool to be around. He had real charisma--no matter if he was the bad guy, he just compelled you to root for him.

I guess it's been almost 25 years since I last saw "Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye", but I still remember it as the most vicious and brutal of all the Cagney films.Maybe they were trying to outdo "White Heat" which had come out a year earlier. Cagney is cruel and sadistic in this role. at least in "White Heat" he loved his mother. There is not one redeeming quality in his character. This is unlike any other Cagney role he ever did. The rest of the cast fare no better. Barbara Payton, who gives an excellent performance is a woman repelled and drawn to Cagney at the same time.This was before the brutal beating her boyfriend Franchot Tone took at the hands of her other boyfriend Tom Neal. Tone suffered a broken nose, smashed cheek bone and a concussion which left him in a come for almost 2 weeks. She married Tone bit left less the 2 months later for Neal. She had many affairs and drifted into prostitution and died in 1967 at age 40. Ward Bond and Luther Adler are crooked cop and attorney who are as bad an Ralph Cotter{Cagneys character}. Gordon Douglas's direction is very uneven, unlike Raoul Walshs film "White Heat". Like I said this is a cruel and vicious film filled with cruel and vicious characters, but it is also a good gangster film, Cagney is at the top of his form with good supporting cast. But it's depressing film....

I know, That's why in an earlier thread I was wondering why this film has had so little airtime over the years. It's like the William Powell comedy "The Senator was Indiscreet", the only film directed by George S. Kaufman. This has all but disappeared from sight. The film is a wonderful comedy on politics and idiots we elect, Powell is outstanding in the role as a U.S. Senator who is a complete fool, but wants to be President and had the black book on all his cronies to make them back him and all of the sudden the book is stolen. It's a shame this film is not on DVD...

The Senator was Indiscreet, I've heard something about. It could all come down to rights issues and the right people pushing for these movies to be available to the public.

In any event, I hear the "Suggest a Movie" section is now newly-reconditioned and maybe it won't be a bad idea to, well, suggest a movie once in a while. ;)

• 1 month later...

I have seen every movie that is on your list. Boy meets Girl is definitely my least favorite.The St. Louis Kid and Blonde Crazy are pretty good. I'm wondering if you have seen some of his other early movies. The Picture Snatcher and Ceiling Zero have Cagney going a mile a minute.

I love Cagney! Like many said in this post, he could do it all. He could be a tough and mean gangster or a singing and dancing man and he could even do Shakespeare. He is one of my favorites!!!!

I've seen: Angels With Dirty Faces, Yankee Doodle Dandy, The Public Enemy, White Heat, The Oklahoma Kid, Each Dawn I Die, The Roaring Twenties, The Fighting 69th--- a few more I think....

Basically, Cagney is amazing!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't miss Billy Wilder's One, Two, Three today at 6pm ET - it's one of Cagney's greatest comic performances:

*One, Two, Three* (1961)

A Coca-Cola executive in West Berlin tries to keep the boss's daughter from marrying a Communist.

Cast: James Cagney, Horst Buchholz, Pamela Tiffin, Arlene Francis Dir: Billy Wilder BW-108 mins, TV-PG

• 2 weeks later...

This Wednesday's schedule may be all about Bogie, but thankfully there are at least _two_ Cagney movies in the bunch:

*The Oklahoma Kid* (1939) 8pm ET

A cowboy sets out to avenge his father's lynching.

Cast: James Cagney, Humphrey Bogart, Rosemary Lane, Donald Crisp Dir: Lloyd Bacon BW-81 mins, TV-PG

*The Roaring Twenties* (1939) 9:30pm ET

Three WWI Army buddies get mixed up with the mob in peacetime.

Cast: James Cagney, Priscilla Lane, Humphrey Bogart, Gladys George Dir: Raoul Walsh BW-107 mins, TV-G

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This weekend I got to watch Never Steal Anything Small, yet another one of those Cagney movies that doesn't really seem to get any attention any more - and that's a shame.

So far as I know, it is only available on an old VHS released decades ago by MCA/Universal Home Video, in pan-and-scan format. This is a widescreen movie in the best tradition of the late 50's, and deserves to be seen in the original aspect ratio.

That small quibble aside, this is a great musical parody of movies about waterfront union politics, with a charming performance by Cagney, who seems to me had pretty good chemistry with Shirley Jones, who is his love interest in this movie.