Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
sweetsmellofsuccess

Your 2009 Summer Under the Stars Wishlist

Not only do you include bombshell glamour girls like Joan Bennett, Claire Trevor,

Lizabeth Scott and our glorious Double G, but you include those lovely quiet types

liek Ella Raines, Colleen Gray and my favorite: Cathy O'Donnell.

You're an all-round guy FrankGrimes.

I need to come crawling back to someone. I'm sure, "I'm sorry," will make it all better. :P

Let's see your list, CineBabe. Who are you wishing to see under the stars? Any movies

you've been wanting to peep?

If TCM would play the Gloria Grahame and Joan Bennett movies that I listed, I'd be

much happier.

Frank, your choice of Esther Howard is delicious (if only). She was a hoot as Mrs. Kraft in "Born to Kill" as well as many other films.

I guess it's just wishful thinking for me to see Barbara Stanwyck under the stars again this year since she has had her own day a few times already. Perhaps next year.

In any event I'm happy with some of the choices listed below.

Hey, Mongo! -- Nice to run into you. Congrats on being chosen as one of the Guest Programmers! Unlike Kyle, you are a worthy selection. :D

Frank, your choice of Esther Howard is delicious (if only). She was a hoot as Mrs. Kraft in "Born to Kill" as well as many other films.

I think most everyone would enjoy an Esther Howard day. She had a nice varied career. And

your choice of word, "hoot," fits perfectly. She's a peach. I end up liking her characters just

as much as the leads and her screen time is usually very slight. That tells you a lot about her

acting ability and immense energy.

Love Born to Kill; it's very underrated. It's one of Claire Trevor's best performances.

I guess it's just wishful thinking for me to see Barbara Stanwyck under the stars again

this year since she has had her own day a few times already. Perhaps next year.

I cannot complain about Missy at TCM. They have been treating her wonderfully. I've taped

quite a few of her films this past year. What films of hers are you seeking? I think it would

be helpful to TCM Programmer if people would not only list the stars they wish to see but

also the films they'd like to see of that star. Blowing Wild is a Missy film I'm interested

in.

I'd love to see your list of wanted stars. So what do you have for us?

August is easily my favorite month on the TCM schedule because of "Summer Under the Stars." Why? Because it forces TCM Programmer to dig deeper than they normally do. They can't just roll out the regular playlist. The only other time when they are forced to dig deep is "Star of the Month," which happens to be my other favorite theme on TCM. Carole Lombard month was wonderful.

I'd love for them to come up with a "crackin' the vault" kind of theme (umbrella). I know a lot of folks on this board would love to see more and more films from the 30s but there are plenty of films from the 40s and 50s that I'd love to see.

myfavoriteblonde1.jpg

sullivanstravels1-1.jpg

borntokill1.jpg

murdermysweet1.jpg

Frank, when I featured Esther Howard on my thread 'In the Spotlight' I heard from her nephew who wanted to find out more about his talented aunt. I helped him out as much as I could. Your caps were delightful.

Off the top of my head I would like to see the following stars under the stars in August:

Gladys George

James Cagney

Joan Blondell

Jeff Chandler

Lucile Watson

John Garfield

Ruth Roman

John Hodiak

Teresa Wright

Robert Walker

Ida Lupino

Sylvia Sidney

"I need to come crawling back to someone. I'm sure, 'I'm sorry,' will make it all better.

Let's see your list, CineBabe. Who are you wishing to see under the stars? Any moviesyou've been wanting to peep."

I think I have to pull a Grimes: Let me get back to you on that list thing. By the by, what have you done that needs your crawling?

(Psst! I corrected a spelling error of mine).

I grew up on the TV show *Dark Shadows* (the vampire soap opera with Barnabas Collins, my FAVORITE show when I was a kid), in which Joan starred. When I see her movies I identify her so strongly with that show that it's like seeing, say, Florence Henderson in a movie --- you just think *Brady Bunch* .

Give Connie a try too --- *Our Betters, What Price Hollywood?, Merrily We Live, Topper* (of course) --- she's a load of fun.

Interesting note, her last film role was in *Madame X* , one of Lana Turner's overwrought 60's excesses (that I love so much).

Good evening, Mongo -- Frank, when I featured Esther Howard on my thread 'In the Spotlight' I heard from her nephew who wanted to find out more about his talented aunt. I helped him out as much as I could.

That's fantastic! Boy, he was in for a treat.

Your caps were delightful.

Thank you. But it's Esther who is the real delight. She was such an exuberant performer.

Off the top of my head I would like to see the following stars under the stars in August:

That's a wonderful list. John Garfield, Ida Lupino, and Sylvia Sidney were last minute cuts for me. I'm just glad TCM gave Ida her own month last year. That was terrific.

I'd be very interested in seeing more of Teresa Wright, Robert Walker, John Hodiak, and Ruth Roman.

Hey there, Lively Gal -- I think I have to pull a Grimes: Let me get back to you on that list thing.

Touch?!

By the by, what have you done that needs your crawling?

What do you think a guy who ventured off after femmes fatale would have done?

By the by, Connie Bennett just missed my list, as well. I'm drawn to her beauty. But I much prefer Joan and the movies she appeared in during the 40s. My kind of gal!

Orson Welles

Clark Gable

Rita Hayworth

Jean Harlow

Joseph Cotton

Cary Grant

Katherine Hepburn

Leslie Caron

Woody Allen

Lucille Ball

Jack Lemmon

Claudette Colbert

Myrna Loy

Rosalind Russell (I'm not very familiar with her but I absolutely adore her in The Women. I'd like to see some more.)

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> And Lupe Velez.

Lupe V?**** would be a great choice, but I wonder if TCM would have enough movies to avoid repeating all of the *Mexican Spitfire* series, which they already had on the schedule once. But even if her day of SUTS was more or less a repeat of that *Spitfire* day on the schedule, it might be worth having!

> {quote:title=CelluloidKid wrote:}{quote}

> I would love TCM to show _The Stripper_ (1963) W./Joanne Woodward! It was Nominated for Oscar for Best Costume Design!!

So do you want Woodward to have her day in SUTS as well, or just want one film shown?

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> > {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> > And Lupe Velez.

>

> Lupe V?**** would be a great choice, but I wonder if TCM would have enough movies to avoid repeating all of the *Mexican Spitfire* series, which they already had on the schedule once. But even if her day of SUTS was more or less a repeat of that *Spitfire* day on the schedule, it might be worth having!

If you add up her RKO, MGM and Columbia titles, there are enough.

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}

> If you add up her RKO, MGM and Columbia titles, there are enough.

I should hope so, PS, I should hope so! I don't remember which of her movies are from Columbia, but I hope they can get to show those again at some point, if they haven't already.

Paul Newman

William Holden

Robert Ryan

Robert Montgomery

Robert Walker

Gloria Grahame

Deborah Kerr

Carole Lombard

Judy Holliday

Peter Sellers

Fredric March

Julie Christie

Richard Basehart

Tom Courtenay

Alan Arkin

Albert Finney

Rosalind Russell

Leslie Howard

John Cassavetes

John Garfield

Richard Widmark

Joan Fontaine

Jean Simmons

Jean Seberg

Cary Grant

Gregory Peck

Robert Shaw

Lee Remick

Bette Davis

Barbara Stanwyck

Montgomery Clift

If I hadn't already seen almost all their movies, Ingrid and Audrey would be on the list, and if it were only possible - Gene Tierney

Susan Hayward

Jane Wyman

Piper Laurie

Peter Fonda

Ryan Gossling

Tom Hanks

Marilyn Monroe

Ava Gardner

Pier Angeli

Montgomery Cliftt

Frank Sinatra

Tom Cruise

Jane Mansfield

Lucielle Ball

Jaqueline Bisett

James Garner

Robert Redford

Jason Robards Jr

Kirsten Dunst

Rebbeca De Mornay

Joanne Woodward

> {quote:title=westportbluebird85 wrote:}{quote}

> Susan Hayward

> Jane Wyman

> Piper Laurie

> Peter Fonda

> Ryan Gossling

> Tom Hanks

> Marilyn Monroe

> Ava Gardner

> Pier Angeli

> Montgomery Cliftt

> Frank Sinatra

> Tom Cruise

> Jane Mansfield

> Lucielle Ball

> Jaqueline Bisett

> James Garner

> Robert Redford

> Jason Robards Jr

> Kirsten Dunst

> Rebbeca De Mornay

> Joanne Woodward

Cruise, Dunst and De Mornay on TCM? Oh, hell no!

I would like to see Paul Newman, Humphrey Bogart, William Holden, Cary Grant and James Stewart on Summer Under the Stars this year. That's all I can think of off hand.

> {quote:title=ChipHeartsMovies wrote:}{quote}

> I grew up on the TV show *Dark Shadows* (the vampire soap opera with Barnabas Collins, my FAVORITE show when I was a kid), in which Joan starred. When I see her movies I identify her so strongly with that show that it's like seeing, say, Florence Henderson in a movie --- you just think *Brady Bunch* .

>

> Give Connie a try too --- *Our Betters, What Price Hollywood?, Merrily We Live, Topper* (of course) --- she's a load of fun.

>

> Interesting note, her last film role was in *Madame X* , one of Lana Turner's overwrought 60's excesses (that I love so much).

I grew up on Dark Shadows, too. I really liked seeing Joan Bennett in "There's Always Tomorrow" with Fred MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck. I wish TCM would show that movie sometime.

Audrey Hepburn

Olivia De Havilland

Montgomery Clift

Bullah Bondi

Gene Tierney

Ginger Rogers

William Powell

Claude Rains

Leslie Howard

James Cagney

Edward G Robinson

David Niven

Greta Garbo

And of course Cary Grant

> {quote:title=HollyGoDarkly wrote:}{quote}

> Just throwing in another vote for in for Clara Bow, Thelma Todd, and Joan Blondell.

What he (she?) said.

Marion Davies

Constance Bennett

Janet Gaynor

Jean Harlow

Anita Page

Joan Blondell

Thelma Todd

Nancy Carroll

Clara Bow

Alice Faye

Tyrone Power