Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Panama Hattie" & "Nancy Goes to Rio" - Sothern Centennial 1/22

Two MGM musicals are scheduled to play today, Jan. 22, as part of the lineup to celebrate Ann Sothern's Centennial Birthday:

*Panama Hattie* (1942) 1:30pm ET

A nightclub owner in Panama takes on Nazi spies.

Cast: Red Skelton, Ann Sothern, "Rags" Ragland, Ben Blue Dir: Norman Z. McLeod BW-80 mins, TV-G

*Nancy Goes To Rio* (1950) 4:30pm ET

Mother-and-daughter singers compete for the same role and the same man.

Cast: Ann Sothern, Jane Powell, Barry Sullivan, Carmen Miranda Dir: Robert Z. Leonard C-100 mins, TV-G

Ann_Sothern_in_Cry_Havoc_trailer.jpg

Both great movies, looking forward to watching them again, especially *Hattie* . I'll watch anything with Sothern, Ragland, and Virginia O'Brien. Nice to see *Rio* , too, one of the few Carmen Miranda films TCM is able to show.

> {quote:title=patful wrote:}{quote}

> Both great movies, looking forward to watching them again, especially *Hattie* . I'll watch anything with Sothern, Ragland, and Virginia O'Brien. Nice to see *Rio* , too, one of the few Carmen Miranda films TCM is able to show.

Now *there* is someone I would really like to see get a day of "Summer Under the Stars". Carmen Miranda, I mean. Obviously it couldn't happen without Fox being willing to lease some of their films to TCM. She's never been honoured in SUTS, has she?

*She's never been honoured in SUTS, has she?*

Definitely not. I even tried to schedule a day of her films in my Challenge entry, but couldn't because of the Fox stranglehold. The closest we can get is Mickey Rooney's impersonation of her in *Babes on Broadway* . Love to see that one again, too.