Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tearjerking films

Guest mongo

Overborad with Goldie Hawn is an ok movie for Cinemax, HBO, et al....but it's not even a "new" classic like The Godfather or Goodfellas...just a "cutie" of the '80s....really it does not belong to TCM's Library

I've enjoyed this fil many times...'cos is sirt of silly but funny (guilty pleasure?)....but definitely it's sort of shocking to see it featured on TCM's schedule...

> Overborad with Goldie Hawn is an ok movie for

> Cinemax, HBO, et al....but it's not even a "new"

> classic like The Godfather or Goodfellas...just a

> "cutie" of the '80s....really it does not belong to

> TCM's Library

Ugh, I know what you mean, I gave that movie a chance and I regret having done it, as feaito said

"Overborad with Goldie Hawn is an ok movie for Cinemax, HBO, et al....but it's not even a "new" classic like The Godfather or Goodfellas...just a "cutie" of the '80s....really it does not belong to TCM's Library"

I don't really enjoy seeing a mediocre overplayed story (well, it may not have been overplayed then, but god when I watched it I felt it was so generic and run of the mill ..) even if it is in tune with the 'night's theme'.

If that's all they can come up with for a night's theme, I say stick to random assortments of movies or general categories (war, romance, etc)

• 3 months later...

well class, my favorite kleenex movies are: "dark victory" when bette davis goes upstairs to die, "imitation of life" "breakfast at tiffanys" and this Carey Grant/Irene Dunne movie i can't think of the name but they play parents who loose a child. oh, and "days of wine and roses". i know there are a lot other movies out there that i missed, but there is something powerful about a movie that literly pulls at a person's heartstrings. i'ts so touching.

• 7 months later...

films that make me cry like a baby,

bambi, the yearling, Lassie come home, Born free,

room for one more, dark victory, penny seranade,

an affair to remember, titanic the one with cliffton webb

i know there are others but these come to mind right off

the bat. lolite.

This is a bit off the topic but it does have to do with tearjerkers.

If you ever need a dose of tears, watch Extreme Make Over Home Edition. I believe it is on weekly on ABC. This show, more times than not, makes my family tear up.

The basis of this shows is a group of builders and designers totally redo a family in needs home. The effect that these makeovers have on these deserving families is uplifting.

There's been a few that made me cry buckets--Beaches & For the Boys (there's something about Bette Midler's singing that brings tears out in me--I love her), Nothing in Common, Gone with the Wind, Forrest Gump, Since You Went Away, An Affair to Remember, Hope Floats (with Sandra Bullock & Gena Rowlands--a real tearjerker if there ever was one.) Those are just a few off the top of my head.

I told myself I was immune to its power. I told myself that I'd seen it all before years ago, it was just a well mounted potboiler, etcetera etcetera. Yet there I was, a week or so ago, gradually being drawn in by the players, the story, and especially, the end. The movie was Dark Victory. Strangely, as with many classic films, as my own life experience deepens, the seemingly simple stories can have the greatest resonance. Funny, isn't it?

I didn't quite go through the whole thread but I

haven't seen a vote for "Goodbye Mr. Chips"

When Chipping finally finds a perfect wife and

companion, to lose her and his child during birth

was a little overwhelming to say the least.

There was also a silent movie that I saw a while ago

about one of my favorite women in history, Joan of Arc

who was played brilliantly by the actor. Wasn't quite

a tearjerker but was very powerful at times, even for a silent.

Eddie

I've read through some of this thread and I didn't see IMITATION OF LIVE mentioned. I've seen that countless of times and I still bawl my eyes out! There are couple of more I can mention:

Camille

The Best Years Of Our Lives

An Affair To Remember (both versions-Boyer&Dunne and Grant&Kerr)

Dr. Zhivago

It's healthy to have a good cry. Especially if you are watching TCM:)

garboloygrant, the movie "Imitation of Life" is mentioned on the very first post of this thread (page 10).

When I began this topic I suggested that other than "Imitation of Life" (both versions) what films bring tears to your eyes since the movie is just about THEE biggest tearjerker of all time.

Mongo

In "ET" in the makeshift emergency room when the EMT says that Elliot's vital signs are getting stronger, another tech yells "We're losing ET!" boy oh boy did I "spring a leak"! Of course I hated myself for getting emotional over a coupla grand worth of animated plastic, tubes and wires...