Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite restraunt scene

A few of mine are Felix Unger doing his "Moosecalls" in the diner to clear his eutaschion tubes, the "I'll have what she's having scene from "When Harry Met Sally" said btw by Rob Reiner's mom, and the scene in the Cub Room from "All about Eve". I KNOW there's lots more...

I'm not usually a Julia Roberts fan but in "My Best Friend's Wedding" when everyone sings "Say a Little Prayer" is so joyful you can't help but love it.

I watched "The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer" yesterday and there was a scene where Cary Grant & Myrna Loy were having a date in a restaurant. First of all, the band in the restaurant kept singing "Happy Birthday" about a million times, then a boorish couple barges in to have a b-day drink (it's the woman's birthday.) Then Shirley Temple shows up and gets upset because she's had a crush on Cary. Then Rudy Vallee shows up jealous of Cary. Everyone gets mad at Cary and leaves at the table alone. That movie was so funny.

Great topic! My choice has to be THE GODFATHER. That restraunt scene sent chills down my spine, Michael Corleone defending his family's honor in an act of retribution that sent his life into a spiral. Yeah...pretty powerful.

This is an inspired thread, slappy. Four that spring to mind are:

1.) "Deception"(1947) in which Claude Rains character, a manipulative, successful composer, dithers about the choices of a gourmet repast prior to an important musical presentation by Bette Davis' none-too-secure cellist husband, Paul Henreid. Rains seldom addresses Davis or Henreid throughout his dissertation on food and his instructions to the restaurant's waitstaff, but he manages to unsettle the poor devil's equilibrium very nicely. Boo, hiss...fun to watch.

2.) "Mr. Skeffington"(1944), another film with a very different and sympathetic Claude Rains, who, over dinner with his little girl by Bette Davis' vain ninny of a character, explains to the child that he and her mother are divorcing. During this discussion, he touches on future visitation rights, anti-Semitism, and ice cream. All the while, the girl sinks lower into herself, dying inside, until she finally has the courage to ask if she could possibly live with her father at his men's club. Rains replies to each of her questions with growing pain subtly expressed in his voice and on his face--until the scene concludes with his persuading her to try some ice cream to assuage that ache. This movie's far from perfect, but that one scene almost makes up for its flaws. Sniff.

3.) "Gentlemen's Agreement"(1947) hits home in the restaurant scene when John Garfield's character, just returned from WWII, literally has a drunk bump into him and bring him back to the reality of racial hatred that Garfield might have hoped, despite everything, might have changed following the war. Garfield's reaction is, by turns, angry, pained, restrained, and resigned--and it is one of the sharpest moments of the film.

4.) "Tom Jones"(1963) with the scene where Tom, (Albert Finney) and Mrs. Waters, (Joyce Redman) share a, uh, meal, and oh, so much more--which has to be one of the funniest seduction scenes in movies.

One more restaurant scene just came to mind:

Romantic sap that I am, the wordless montage in "The Razor's Edge"(1946) in which Tyrone Power and Gene Tierney just look at one another and glide through a farewell night on the town in Paris, drifting from one restaurant to another--and I'll be darned if it doesn't always gets to me. Unaware of the life swirling around them and lost in a long, still moment, they glide from a White Russian restaurant to a jazz spot to a dance club and finally home. This description may not read well on the page, but it's quite well done and the lush Alfred Newman score doesn't hurt a bit. It's as though Power and Tierney are each waiting for the other to break the spell they are under with a word. As Bugs Bunny says, "Ain't love grand?"

There are TWO great restaurant scenes in "Pulp Fiction" - the first one being at "Jack Rabbit Slims" - the nostalgic 50's place that Uma Thurman brings John Travolta to, and they dance and win a trophy for it. It's also the place where she has the "five dollar milkshake." The other scene is in the diner that's being held up, and Samuel L. Jackson has perhaps the most memorable moment in the movie when he deals with the guy trying to rob everyone. It's an awesome scene, and an equally awesome movie.

Other favorite restaurant scenes - I definitely have to agree with "All About Eve" - I love the part where George Sanders lifts his glass to Bette Davis and her gang, and she picks up a celery stick and bites it ferociously, since she's **** off at George Sanders. A great scene, and another great movie.

I also love the restaurant scene in "His Girl Friday" with Cary Grant, Rosalind Russell, and Ralph Bellamy. Grant is trying to connive Russell into working for him again, meanwhile he's reveling in the stupidity of Bellamy's character.

And I know I've mentioned this movie alot, but the restaurant scene in "The Blues Brothers" is a true classic. John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd are hysterical in this fancy French restaurant, acting like a couple of uncouth hicks. I love when John Belushi turns to the guy at the next table and offers to "buy his women" - the guy's wife and daughters. Very funny.

Just thought of another one - In "You Can't Take It With You" when Jimmy Stewart takes Jean Arthur to a fancy restaurant, and the whole time she has a sign on her back that she's unaware of, and then he teases her by saying that he feels a scream coming on, that he can feel it moving up through his body. He then grabs his throat and says it's about to come out, and she screams instead at the horror of him doing it. Then, of course the whole restaurant turns around and looks at them, and Stewart says there's a rat that just ran under their table - everyone goes haywire over hearing that, and then Stewart and Arthur stroll quietly out of the restaurant. It's a funny scene, done brilliantly by the great Frank Capra.

EASTER PARADE. Jules Munshin is so funny there from everyone leaving and not eating anything there "Dinner for three...two...one" and him getting mad in his snooty french character to his salad act. "the onion...so gay" with big closeup on face?

Ok....someone is going to have to help me out, here. I remember Jack Nicholson having some kind of a problem with a waitress who won't make a substitution for what he wants to order, and it's a classic restaurant scene. I just can't remember if it was "Five Easy Pieces" or "Easy Rider"...but will guess it was "Five Easy Pieces".

My other favorite is the restaurant scene in Victor/Victoria where Julie Andrews drops a cockroach into her salad, and misses, and the cockroach ends up elsewhere. What I love about this scene is that the camera ends up filming it from outside and across the street, and you can see the pandemonium progress like a wave down the length of the restaurant. Cracks me up every time! :)ML

ML - I think the Jack Nicholson restaurant scene that you're thinking of is from "As Good As It Gets" with Helen Hunt. There are several restaurant scenes in the movie, and Helen Hunt plays his waitress at this place that he eats at all the time. One of the really funny scenes is when Helen Hunt is off, and he gets another waitress who drives him nuts.

Thanks Joe...but nope that's definitely not the movie I'm thinking of....although that movie really did have some classic restaurant scenes in it. Maybe I'm not even correct in thinking that the one I'm thinking of is with Jack Nicholson??? I'm on heavy-duty painkillers today (two cracked ribs from all the coughing), and basically operating from the land of OZ. You understand the problem.

Still need help to identify this movie, friends! :) ML

It's "Five Easy Pieces" and here is the scene from imdb.com:

[bobby wants plain toast, which isn't on the menu.]

Bobby: I'd like an omelet, plain, and a chicken salad sandwich on wheat toast, no mayonnaise, no butter, no lettuce. And a cup of coffee.

Waitress: A #2, chicken salad sand. Hold the butter, the lettuce, the mayonnaise, and a cup of coffee. Anything else?

Bobby: Yeah, now all you have to do is hold the chicken, bring me the toast, give me a check for the chicken salad sandwich, and you haven't broken any rules.

Waitress: You want me to hold the chicken, huh?

Bobby: I want you to hold it between your knees.

Oh, thanks guys! It's comforting today to know that I've not lost all of my marbles. Yes. That was the scene, and you even described everything that I had forgotten about it, Path! Thanks.

And, thanks again Slappy, for the well-wishes. Feeling

"loopy" as hell, but feeling little or no pain. Life is beautiful! ;) ML