Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know SOMEBODY Will Know...

I found myself emerging from sleep the other night at the beginning of a film with Bogart and Lizbeth Scott and I am not sure - since I have no memory of having ever seen it - if this was 'Dead Reckoning' - I just don't even remember checking for the title. I managed to watch about 45 minutes, but fell back to sleep for good just after Bogie had been to the morgue, then gone to the club where he met 'HER". for the first time. Scott was just being coaxed into singing 'THE' song - which was the last thing I saw.

Now, my dilemma is this. As I watched, more and more I was getting a VERY strong deja vu, feeling like I had recently seen another movie with this exact same plot - although it wasn't Bogart playing the lead. Am I nuts? Was I dreaming? IS there another version of this film out there somewhere? HELP!.

No, I know that movie - and I like it a lot (although the polka music nearly made me turn it off).

No, FF, it is so weird - and I know that my recent sleep deprivation is to blame, but the fact is.that it was the SAME plot, with the exact same narration. I totally recall the line where the Bogart character is surprised that they seem to be getting such VIP treatment, the buddy's Yale class of '40 pin which figures in the morgue scene, in the first version I (swear that I ) saw, was worn around the guy's neck, some medallion sort of thing. I recall something obviously made the guy squirrely, and he jumps the train, leaving the Bogie character mystified. The morgue scene, the nightclub, the girl he was going home to, the special song they wanted her to sing, but she doesn't want to.... it was all the same. I wish to heck I could remember the actors in the other version - but I DO recall that the girl wasn't a blonde, or wasn't AS blonde as Scott, and the bar was positioned differently.

I've checked imdb, but none of the other 'Dead Reckoning' titles are a version of the Cromwell, Bogart, Scott film, so it must have been retitled. And you just know it will bug me til I figure it out! Anyway, thanks for trying to help!

Pia

Well, hmm. There were two films with John Garfield that had some similar scenes and plot stories. In ?The Fallen Sparrow? he investigated a war pal?s death. It starts with a train ride. In ?Nobody Lives Forever? there is a similar night club scene, when he comes back from the war and discovers that his blonde girlfriend nightclub singer has lost the $50,000 he left her to save for him until he got back, and she now has another boyfriend who is a gangster and a nightclub owner. Also, 'Dead Reckoning' was on TCM a few months ago. Maybe you fell asleep then too.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> Well, hmm. There were two films with John Garfield that had some similar scenes and plot stories. In The Fallen Sparrow he investigated a war pals death. It starts with a train ride. In Nobody Lives Forever there is a similar night club scene, when he comes back from the war and discovers that his blonde girlfriend nightclub singer has lost the $50,000 he left her to save for him until he got back, and she now has another boyfriend who is a gangster and a nightclub owner. Also, 'Dead Reckoning' was on TCM a few months ago. Maybe you fell asleep then too.

Probably a combination of all three, lol! (Just kidding.) Fred, I think you're right, that I was watching 'Dead Reckoning' the last time it was on - sleeping the fitful, one-ear-open sleep of the new momma. Well, not new momma - just new baby, and thats why it seemed so familiar - it WAS!

Pia