Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
paramountt

MGM, WB, and RKO Films That TCM Has Never Aired

Thanks for mentioning CHRISTOPHER BEAN. That's one I meant to put in my original post but overlooked. I believe a lot of movies are in limbo because often the contracts called for the rights to the film to revert to the author after "x" number of years if the author was a major name -and/or leading playwright. So the studios no longer own many of the movies and the author's estates don't really know how to market the movie so it just sits unseen.

This one is a particular shame - I mean Marie Dressler's last film!! It's historically important. I wish TCM would try to buy it back from the author's estate if that's the case or at least pay them for the rights needed to show the film.

Three films I'm waiting for. I don't remember the studios, but these haven't been on TV for a long time:

*House of Rothschild*, with George and Florence Arliss, Helen Westley, Robert and Loretta Young, Boris Karloff;

*The Man in Half Moon Street*, with Nils Asther and Helen Walker (the best of the mad scientist who wanted to live forever films);

*Murder He Says*, with Fred McMurray, Marjorie Main, and Helen Walker.

Just a coincidence that two of these star Helen Walker. Where are these three films?

HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD (1934) is a 20th Century picture. The Fox Movie Channel has shown that one many years ago. The ending sequence was shot in two color Technicolor.

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> "His Glorious Night" does exist in a nice restored 35mm print that was shown in August 2007 at the Capitolfest in Rome, New York (and boy is it creaky! But you do have to see it once.) As was just posted, MGM sold the remake rights to Paramount, but I don't think it ever was remade.

>

Paramount remade HIS GLORIOUS NIGHT in 1960 as A BREATH OF SCANDAL, and it's available on DVD.

I wish TCM would really dive into the Paramount library now that they occasionally cherrypick some titles now owned by Universal. I suspect though their licenses are higher than what they have to pay for WB/MGM/RKO since it's a completely different corporation.

> {quote:title=paramountt wrote:}{quote}

> I wish TCM would really dive into the Paramount library now that they occasionally cherrypick some titles now owned by Universal.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that the few titles they've been showing, some for awhile now, might be seperate deal. Robert O. has made it clear that the big Paramount/Universal package won't be start until the contract for the Columbia films runs out. Maybe the bean counters at Time-Warner don't want them to have two high priced packages on the books at the same time. Another reason might be that since most of those films have been out of TV syndication since the 1970s, when everything was run on 16mm film, it may take Universal that long to transfer all of them to a digital format that TCM can use.

I'm afraid the wait is going to drive some people around these board nuts. It'll be like kids waiting for Christmas.

According to my records, here's the 20 MGM, WB and RKO titles TCM ran the longest time ago:

1) The Trial of Mary Dugan (1929)

2) The Perfect Specimen (1937)

3) Too Young To Know (1945)

4) Where Were You When The Lights Went Out? (1968)

5) Ceiling Zero (1936)

6) Savage Splendor (1949)

7) The Strawberry Statement (1970)

8) Ask Any Girl (1959)

9) A Stranger Is Watching (1982)

10) The Super Cops (1974)

11) The Best House In London (1969)

12) Three Bites of the Apple (1967)

13) The Singing Fool (1928)

14) Crooner (1932)

15) Mr. Doodle Kicks Off (1938)

16) Savage Messiah (1972)

17) Beyond The Forest (1949)

18) Whose Life Is It Anyway? (1981)

19) Why Would I Lie? (1980)

20) Bright Leaf (1950)

All apparently ran during TCM's first year and were never seen again.

TO BRIAN-IN-ATLANTA:

I hope you guys can get Bright Leaf again, and Howard Hawks' Ceiling Zero,

which I can only view on Region 2 DVD. Thank you for sharing your programming information with us.

Message was edited by: MissGoddess

Good Morning "BrianInAtlanta" -

Thanks so much for taking time out of your day to compile that list. We really appreciate responses from the Home Office - especially when it helps answer inquiries like this one.

Have a great weekend!

Kyle In Hollywood

I hope you guys can get Bright Leaf again, and Howard Hawks' Ceiling Zero,

which I can only view on Region 2 DVD.

At least *Ceiling Zero* was released on VHS here in the U.S. And if the movie is indeed affected by the Abend decision, then it's unlikely we'll see it on DVD in the US for a _very_ long time.

I am surprised to see you include "The Trial of Mary Dugan" and "Crooner" on your list. I really doubt they were ever shown on TCM. I am sure I would have noticed them, as I know how rare they are, and that I have never seen them on any station before. Can you confirm that they really were on?

One that I have not seen on TCM since 1994 is "A Lady to Love" (1930) - MGM starring Edward G. Robinson and Vilma Banky. Even a few years ago when Robinson was Star of the Month they ran everything but that. Conspicuously missing.

The '29 version of The Trial of Mary Dugan supposedly ran six days after TCM went on the air at 3:30 in the morning.

Last one for A Lady To Love is Dec. 19, 1994.

An RKO film that has never been shown, to my knowledge, is THE LONG NIGHT with Henry Fonda, Barbara BelGeddes, Vincent Price and Ann Dvorak. It's a remake of a great French film of the thirties: Le Jour Se Leve. The USA version was released in 1947, and was quite good.

I had always thought that "The Trial Of Mary Dugan" with Norma Shearer was not shown due to some type of legal or copywright issues. I was shocked to hear that TCM did show it. Unfortunately my cable system didn't offer TCM until late 1995 so I missed out on a lot of rare oldies from TCM's first year.

Since it has been shown why doesn't TCM show it anymore? It's Norma's first talkie and TCM has always shown Norma's films on a regular basis. If anyone remembers seeing it what was the print like? Did anyone tape it?

> {quote:title=ChelseaRialtoStudios wrote:}{quote}

> THE LONG NIGHT was produced by the Hakim brothers and merely distributed in its initial run by RKO. KINO obtained the rights and has released it on DVD. A TCM telecast would be most welcome!

Wonder why Warner Home Video wasn't able to hold on to the rights. I thought they had pretty much all of the RKO films.

Nothing to do with old copyright issues I don't believe. Actually it has to do with the films not being ready for broadcast in the format that they now use at TCM. I'm sure that probably included THE BIG PARADE until now. Another reason this hasn't been shown since May of 2004. At last on the May schedule again, even if it isn't the brand new restoration many have long been waiting on. They switched over to some other system in 2005. Everything is on two giant master hard-drives of some sort. Or at least so I have been told. They used to air some form of industrial Video-tape when broadcasting, everyone did, but not anymore.

I already mentioned this in some other threads. I am pretty sure that Allan Dwan's TIDE OF THE EMPIRE with Renee Adoree, Tom Keene, George Fawcett, and William Collier Junior hasn't been on at all since at least 2000 or 2001? Probably not since 1999? And my copy is from 1997 obtained second hand. Oh, how I love this movie! I have waited in vain for it to pop back up on the schedule. Any schedule month after month, and it never has. So frustrating. By contrast, OLD SAN FRANCISCO is one of TCM's most frequently run Silent films.

The guest host whoever it is this year for the Annual "Race In Hollywood Festival", this year focusing on the Spanish should watch TIDE OF THE EMPIRE if nesscary and see if it doesn't make sense to at least consider making a change? Especially, given that OLD SAN FRANCISCO was part of last years event? That ought to at least potentially make a difference? Correct?

So, how about putting this to the vote here? Who else here would rather see TIDE OF THE EMPIRE, which most of you have might never seen, instead of OLD SAN FRANCISCO, that many of you have? I might add that TIDE OF THE EMPIRE is a very good movie, and a highly entertaining film, with a terrific Metro-tone score. The print is just beautiful. Even if the final reel is missing. This is probably one of my favorite late 20's Silents. What's more it has Renee Adoree in a top billed Starring role. One of the few, and probably the last of her career at MGM where she was listed first on the Marquee? :

Not trying to make a pest of myself, but If we let TCM know about this maybe we can get the films changed? It's worth a try. It worked with Chaney's THE BLACKBIRD, and even got us an American TCM premier that we likely would not have seen at all otherwise.

Besides TIDE OF THE EMPIRE, in the future I would love to see THE TRAIL OF '98, SPEEDWAY, WEARY RIVER, NOAH'S ARK, THE VIKING (in Technicolor), Etc. How about the 1930 version of GOOD NEWS with Bessie Love? The sad fact is, none of them have been converted to the new format, or at least loaded into the drives.

They have to matinence those sometime. I mean I defragment an average of 3 times a day! No wonder TCM was having so many glitches a few months back. If you recall, they did run THE DIVINE LADY last year with Corinne Griffith, for the Marie Dressler festival. That hadn't aired since '97 either. In my mind, that pretty much proves that they can dig these movies that rarely get aired out of mothballs.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}

> HOUSE OF ROTHSCHILD (1934) is a 20th Century picture. The Fox Movie Channel has shown that one many years ago. The ending sequence was shot in two color Technicolor.

This is on YouTube

I doubt that TCM will be running the 1930 version of GOOD NEWS any time soon as the ending is missing. When TCM ran it back in 1994, they had a disclaimer stating that the Technicolor finale was missing and that they would fill it in with stills (which they did).

The same holds for CHASING RAINBOWS (1930), the "Happy Days Are Here Again" Technicolor finale is lost, and TCM showed the film with inserted stills for the missing finale.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> Scottman,

>

> That is all very interesting information. I knew that the footage was missing, but I didn't know that they made a note of it like that? I will mention this on Nitrateville, and quote you. Same with the 1929 SHOWBOAT correct?

>

Yes, that is correct. The prologue footage with the original Broadway cast of SHOWBOAT is lost, but the sound discs survived, so when it was released on laser disc (and also shown on TCM),it was shown with a still image with the word "Prologue" on the screen for the duration of the sequence.

> {quote:title=ziggyelman wrote:}{quote}

> Good question! I bought a few weeks back(and haven't watched) a VHS from RKO called Aggie Appleby, Maker of Men. Stars Charlies Farrell and Wynne Gibson(Who looks a bit like Miriam Hopkins, at least from the box)

> I sure never heard of this film, let alone seen it on TCM, has it???

I watched it when TCM last ran it (2005) although the only thing I can recall is seeing that bizarre title on the opening title card. Otherwise, it doesn't seem to have made much of an impression on me.

-Brian in Atlanta