Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has TCM ever done a retrospective on the Bowery Boys?

Movieman,

From previous posts here we have learned that the film elements for the Bowery Boys are not in good shape and will take some time to restore.

Warners Home Video had hoped to release a box set of the films but when they realized what bad shape the elements were in they said it would be some time before the films come to DVD.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> From previous posts here we have learned that the film elements for the Bowery Boys are not in good shape and will take some time to restore.

That's very odd Lynn. I saw all the Bowery Boys movies several years ago on TCM (there was a retrospective) and they looked in great shape.

>That's very odd Lynn. I saw all the Bowery Boys movies several years ago on TCM (there was a retrospective) and they looked in great shape.

Ha. It's that old TV you are using. Most of the Bowery Boys movies TCM aired were fuzzy 16 mm prints. With your old TV set, all movies might look to you like fuzzy 16 mm prints.

Old TV set? I have a new Sony 42" flat screen with HD capabilities. Besides, the Bowery Boys movies were made in the 1940's and technology had really progressed since the early days of talkies. All the Bowery Boys movies I had seen previously on OTHER stations, in years past, were just fine. Picture quality was okay. ????

After digging around the home theater forum, I found an chat transcript that they did with George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video back in 2006.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/chat/warner06.txt

In the chat they talk about the Bowery Boys and how they discovered that the film elements of some of the films was hindering releasing the films in chronological order.

Sorry for the mix-up. Not all the film elements of the Bowery Boys movies are in bad shape, just some of them.

One thing's for sure, I miss those chats with Feltenstein and his crew. Looks like the last one was two years ago.

I wil reply to myself here so there is no confusion (except in my mind).

The _majority_ of the Bowery Boys films were made in the 1950s, not the 1940s. The prints I saw on TCM were very good. I remember, because I recorded many of them for later viewing and the tapes came out just fine. Some people may be confusing the Bowery Boys series with the East Side Kids series, which ended in the 1940s. The confusion is understandable, since many of the same actors appeared in both series. Most of the prints of the East Side Kids movies I've seen are in lousy shape.

"In 1935, Leo and David starred in the stage play "Dead End." In 1937, this was made into a movie, and Leo became one of the busiest actors for the next 20 years -- from 1937-1939 he starred in seven Dead End Kids movies, from 1940-1945 in 21 East Side Kids films, from 1946-1956 in 41 Bowery Boys movies."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0329832/bio

A lot of these kinds of films were copied down to 16 mm back in the 1950s and '60s, and they were rented to local TV stations to show locally. Somewhere along the way, the 35 mm originals either got lost or got thrown away. So, what is left today are copies of copies of earlier copies of old 16 mm copies.

I don't remember TCM playing the Bowery Boys films but I guess I just missed them. The East Side Kids films were played often a few years ago. I generally find that the TCM prints are better than the ones on the cheap DVD's I purchased. As for the Dead End Kids films, *On Dress Parade* and *The Angels Wash Their Faces* seem to be the two that they haven't aired in a while.

The history of the gang, after they left Warners, gets pretty complicated. The East Side Kids, The Little Tough Guy Series (which was done by Universal and never shown on TCM that I know of) and eventually the Bowery Boys. The film East Side Kids made in 1940 actually doesn't have any of the Dead End Kids in it. They wouldn't appear until the next one and so that film is not really considered a true part of the series.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> One thing's for sure, I miss those chats with Feltenstein and his crew. Looks like the last one was two years ago.

Seems more like two years to me. I would sure hope Feltenstein would find this a good year to chat with us some more, especially since WHV will be releasing 70th-anniversary sets of *Gone with the Wind* and *The Wizard of Oz*, plus the 50th-anniversary reissue of *Ben-Hur* (IIRC).

*"As for the Dead End Kids films, "On Dress Parade" and "The Angels Wash Their Faces" seem to be the two that they haven't aired in a while."* - molo14

*Angels Wash Their Faces* is scheduled for Wednesday, March 4^th^ as part of the first night of Ronald Reagan's "Star Of The Month" event.

Kyle In Hollywood

The rarest DEAD END KIDS pictures are the ones made by Universal. Beginning with LITTLE TOUGH GUY in 1938, these were serio-comic films that eventually became all-out comedies. LITTLE TOUGH GUY is now p.d. so it can be seen. It is quite good with a truly shocking climax. In addition to the Dead End Kids, Universal made a few films with the "Little Tough Guys". Kids included Frankie Thomas, Harris Berger, Hally (later Hal E.) Chester and David Gorcey. The best of these is CODE OF THE STREETS with Harry Carey. Paul Fix plays the older brother of one of the gang and he has an incredible jail cell monologue about taking the right road vs. taking the wrong road. Just one of the wonderful gems to be found in now-buried B movies.

> {quote:title=TikiSoo wrote:}{quote}

> > Bronxgirl48 wrote:

> > I love all the boy's incarnations - the Dead End Kids, the East Side Kids, the Bowery Boys.

>

> I agree 100%

>

> And I bet I have the oldest TV of anyone on this board:

>

> 1952-Emerson-711.JPG

LOL! Do you watch "I Married Joan" on it?