Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Judy Garland

Guest Bob V

I just recently seen her movie "A star is born". My question is...what's with all the still photo shots in the middle of the movie? I understand when the movie was made in 1953 it had to be cut down...due to it being to long. Is that why they have all those still photos with the audio playing or was the movie in bad shape when they restorated it...forcing them to cut out the damaged parts of the film?

Guest walker, ken

Bob, From what i've read on the subject,the film was cut several times before its final release.When time came for the restoration,parts were either lost or detoriated so badly that they were of no use.When I saw "Greed" ,it reminded me of this picture with its use of stills. kw

Guest Nine, Seven of

OHHH I got the movie Greed yeah you are right it mostly made of stills since Erich Von Striem was going 9 hour movie with chapter after chapter Some of the material was lost over the years now we just have stills With Star is Born Judy Garland version yeahh it was thisss close of being lost FOREVER Until they found some material sadly but true it was mostly stills The Audio is gone so we are stuck with video part

Guest son, jery

Bob, Ken Walker is right as usual. Just a few more tidbits: after Jack Warner chopped the movie down before it was released, "A Star is Born" was previewed several times. now, even more footage was axed out. As usual, you wonder what these movie moguls were thinking when they either destroyed all footage of a great classic or allowed it to rust away.

Another classic film that contains stills is Frank Capra's "Lost Horizon" (1937) in order to restore it to the original length. The stills that were inserted are represented by the original dialogue.

I've watched alot of Judy's documentaries lately. One thing I cant understand is why did all of the studio execs think of her as their ugly duckling? In fact it's said that MGM's top "dog" L.B. Mayer called her by..."his ugly duckling". Every time I watch one of these documentaries it's the same thing. MGM considered her a great talent...but that's it. I happen to think she was a very beautiful woman. That's what started the whole pill thing...was her weight and how she perceived herself. I personally think she is the "biggest diva" of all time...with her looks,singing,acting and dancing.

Guest r, cyndi

Judy Garland was both fabulous and tragic. Kinda goes to show you how easy todays stars(?) have it!! ...And as long as we're on the subject of Judy, my hat's off to Judy Davis for doing such an awesome job as Judy Garland. It was almost spooky how on the mark she was. She deserves all the awards and kudos she gets!! I can't recall another movie about a movie star that was done near as well.

Guest o, rita

judy davis was marvelous as La Garland. I like her work as an actress in other films. I saw the Great Judy once in the late 60's. I was a teenager and visiting NY w/my mother. We were staying at the Pierre and as we walked back to our hotel we passed the hotel,unbeknowst to us, where Judy was staying. I think she was appearing in the Persian Room or the Rainbow Room... well, one of those places they had then. Anyway, she was coming out of the hotel. She was short and appeared to be thin at the time. She was wearing a floral print muu-muu. And, her current paramour was trailing behind her. I think he ended up stealing some jewelry or money from her. I believe she died within a year or two. I remember I was so thrilled to see her! A real movie star! A living Legend!

I just adore Judy Garland. I just cannot understand how she was pegged an ugly duckling. Did they not have mirrors. Didn't the diet pills start with her mother if I remember correctly, because her mother was so obsessed in her daughters career and most of the actresses were so thin. I think Judy Garland was a gem and so talented but what a life she had just trying to prove that she was talented but ended up actually killing her definatly to early in her life.

Guest son, jery

I was fortunate to see not only Judy Garland, but Elvis Presley, alive, in concert back in the 50s. Elvis was just on the brink of red-hot stardom in l959 when I caught his act in a dinky little gym in North Carolina. But Good God, what electrifying charisma that guy had! Same thing with Judy Garland. She starred at the Palace here in NYC. Both were ablaze with this scalding nervous energy that just blazed across the footlights. It's what only a rare little group of artists possess. I saw Tina Turner a few years ago and she had this same, animal-like vitality, backed up by a fantastic band, and you couldn't help but jump up out of your seats and go crazy! And what do we have now? Snarling, rapping ghetto thugs, marshmallowy angelic boy groups, squeaky, gyrating teen queens. Pretty on the eyes, a bore on the senses.

• 3 months later...
Guest Griffin, Mark

THIS IS MRS. NORMAN MAINE! Let's face it...Judy Garland was probably the most talented person to ever step in front of a camera (or a microphone), right? One delicious bit that Judy never got enough credit for is that camp classic, "The Interview" from "Ziegfeld Follies" (1946). Because the material is so slyly sophisticated, I'm willing to bet that audiences (and even critics) of the day weren't prepared for Andy Hardy's sweetheart in such a stinging, arch take off of a self infatuated star. Needless to say, Judy was dazzling, the chorus boys were delightful and as always, Mr. Minnelli's presentation is absolutely exquisite. "No baby can do without the safety pin....!" Total Perfection!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pussycat

Judy Garland was such a great actress. She defenetly had that extra spark or probably even two for that matter. When she sings .. she really sings. A star is born is a great example of her talent.

• 2 months later...
Guest Blackwell, Jackie

Judy Garland. The greatest entertainer of all time. She was amazingly incredible! Such a unique singing voice. You don't hear voices like that anymore. All of them sound the same nowadays. You can't tell one singer from the next. (with the exception of a few ie: Bernadette Peters, etc.) What ever happened to actual talent?! It seems to me that directors just don't care anymore who or what they cast in movies. Thank goodness though that we still have the great classics to look back on.

• 2 months later...