Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Boffins in Movies

CaveGirl

Now we are looking for prominent boffins in films, not bobbins, so now sewing required, or bippity-boppity-bos, or disconnected body parts like Bobbit, John's or anything but boffins.

Get it...boffins!

I'm waiting.

Please don't answer in Korean...

1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

Now we are looking for prominent boffins in films, not bobbins, so now sewing required, or bippity-boppity-bos, or disconnected body parts like Bobbit, John's or anything but boffins.

Get it...boffins!

I'm waiting.

:lol:

Boffin is a British slang term for a scientist, engineer, or other person engaged in technical or scientific research and development. 

So in movies..

the_nutty_professor.jpg

3 hours ago, hamradio said:

Boffin is a British slang term for a scientist, engineer, or other person engaged in technical or scientific research and development.

Yeah, I only knew that term from old Danger Mouse cartoons, even if Cavey was having a little too much fun with her Word-a-Day calendar.

....OHHHhhhh!!  ?

(Yes, I saw the 160pp. spampocalypse too, so I get it NOW, but gotta admit, given that it's usually bounced within hours, K-Spam jokes' shelf life gets shorter in a direct ratio to their specific subject matter.)

On topic, it's hard to not picture Desmond Llewelyn next to the dictionary entry:

• Like 1

Most notorious would be Dr. Jeckyll, and his alter ego Mr. Hyde, as played in 1931 by Frederic March and in 1941 by Spencer Tracy. (There were other films though that featured the infamous doctor though from the alternate viewpoint spun of Mary Reilly, through Dr. Jeckyll and Sister Hyde, etc.)

• Like 1

:o

Considering what "b o f f" is usually slang for(and proven by "Otto Censor's" obliteration that I had to "correct" ), I got a bit confused as to what you meant, and was about to suggest DEBBIE DOES DALLAS.  ;)

But now that it's been cleared up, ------

Any of the DR. MOREAU  incarnations will do...

As well as...

DR. VIBES,

Professors NED and PHILLIP BRAINARD( played by Fred MacMurray and Robin Williams respectively) both ABSENT-MINDED PROFESSORS.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2018 at 5:57 PM, hamradio said:

:lol:

So in movies..

the_nutty_professor.jpg

One of the best and many people back then said, that Buddy Love was as close to the real persona of Jerry Lewis as would be possible. Thanks!

On 7/28/2018 at 9:20 PM, EricJ said:

Yeah, I only knew that term from old Danger Mouse cartoons, even if Cavey was having a little too much fun with her Word-a-Day calendar.

....OHHHhhhh!!  ?

(Yes, I saw the 160pp. spampocalypse too, so I get it NOW, but gotta admit, given that it's usually bounced within hours, K-Spam jokes' shelf life gets shorter in a direct ratio to their specific subject matter.)

On topic, it's hard to not picture Desmond Llewelyn next to the dictionary entry:

Eric, dahling...you surprise me! I would think you would know that any real movie fan knows what a "boffin" is, with no outside help from a silly calendar. One just consults their inner mind lexicon full of references to many movies about "boffins". Who in their right mind learns words from a "Word a Day" calendar...except maybe Jerry Lewis? I do recall reading that Jerry used to learn a new word from the dictionary daily though, to impress folks, so thanks for bringing that up though.

Nice entry in the "boffin" sweepstakes and thanks for participating!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings