Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*how about a month devoted to movies featuring white actors playing Asian characters?*

Not trying to be contrary here but did you guys miss the *Asian Images* festival last June?

The whole point of the month long festival was to look at the way Asians have been portrayed from the silents to today. Many "yellow face" films (those being Americans or Europeans being made up to look Asian) were played including many rare Charlie Chans, Fu Manchus and Mr. Motos.

If the *Race and Hollywood* series continues this year, it will likely be in June as it has been the last two years with *Gay Images* and *Asian Images* respectively.

*Also, Turner doesn't own anything anymore but it all belongs to Time/Warner.*

And Time-Warner just reported a huge loss for the fourth quarter so that may mean more belt tightening budgets around the cable channels owned by the home office.

I don't really have a problem with people portraying characters from groups to which they don't belong. What about Teresa Wright and Walter Pidgeon playing English people in Mrs. Miniver? I think they were fine. I did have a problem with Robert Redford playing English in Out of Africa, not because he wasn't English, but because he wasn't very good. Should Linda Hunt not have played a male role in The Year of Living Dangerously, for which she won an Oscar, or William Hurt not played in Kiss of the Spiderwoman because he wasn't gay? Should Rafaela Ottiano not played Russian Rita in She Done Him Wrong because she was not Russian? Get over it, it's called acting!

But I guess my favorite is Helen Jerome Eddy playing Chinese in Frisco Jenny.

> {quote:title=lzcutter wrote:}{quote}

> *Also, Turner doesn't own anything anymore but it all belongs to Time/Warner.*

>

> And Time-Warner just reported a huge loss for the fourth quarter so that may mean more belt tightening budgets around the cable channels owned by the home office.

Lynn, sometimes it's a good idea to go past the headline and actually see what is in a story. As it turns out, even though Time Warner posted a huge loss, _its network division is actually not doing too bad_:

*Revenue from Time Warner's networks, which include CNN, HBO and Turner Broadcasting, climbed 9 percent to $2.9 billion, on the back of a surprising 10 percent growth in advertising revenue, driven by higher ratings and popular election coverage on CNN.*

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090205/ap_on_hi_te/earns_time_warner_8

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> Oh no...slow down. Let's not blow past April. I want you guys to see the Fan Guest Programmers first then let's look at May.

>

> BTW, Chinaseas, Musicalnovelty...the Ann Sheridan suggestion is great! I've always loved her down-to-earth sexiness and wonderful laugh.

Count me in as well...I'd LOVE to see Ann as the Star of the Month. I don't remember her being chosen in the past several years. For a few years TCM was doing a nice birthday tribute to her every February 21st, but ever since the Academy moved the Oscars to late February, that tribute has been supplanted by the 31 Days of Oscar. Frankly, I think they could at least shorten the number of Oscar winners on those days when they've got a birthday of someone who is popular to celebrate. (and from reading these boards I think Sheridan has a lot of fans).

Hopefully, we will get TCM premier's of both Henry King's THE WHITE SISTER (1923) with Lillian Gish, and Ronald Coleman, and King Vidor's BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT (1926) with John Gilbert, and Eleanor Boardman. Dare we hope the new restoration of THE BIG PARADE as well? In May it will mark 5 years since the last time any version ran on the American TCM.

GilbertWithEleanorBoardmanBradelysT.png

*John Gilbert And Eleanor Boardman from BARDELYS THE MAGNIFICENT*

Another film that I was promised last year, would be forth coming in 2009, is the Betty Hutton Musical INCENDIARY BLONDE (Paramount, 1945). Probably not seen on Televison anywhere in well over 25 years!

> {quote:title=Film_Fatale wrote:}{quote}

> ...sometimes it's a good idea to go past the headline and actually see what is in a story. As it turns out, even though Time Warner posted a huge loss, _its network division is actually not doing too bad_:

Of course, when a large company is having bad times overall, even the divisions that are doing ok are usually required to tighten their belts. I would think that's the way it is with Time-Warner.

Around the 2nd week of every month, I start looking for 4th month schedule. (My monthly highlight. :) I need a life, don't I? :) ) This month it's later than usual and I'm having the shakes, pain and other withdrawal symptoms. AAAAGH! Where is it! :)

*Around the 2nd week of every month, I start looking for 4th month schedule.*

Until sometime last year, it regularly came out on the third Monday of each month. A full week of the shakes can be detrimental to your health.

tcmprogrammr,

Thanks so much sir. I sure hope "the one movie" is among the handful of titles that I have been waiting so long for? And if so, that it gets confirmed! Rest assured, we always appreciate all your efforts. Keep up the good work!