Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interrupted Melody

I am so happy that TCM featured this today - even though it was a 6 am showing. It's long been a favorite of mine. The acting - superb by all. Eleanor Parker was more than deserving of an Oscar for her portrayal of Marjorie Lawrence. It's a shame that she didn't receive. I still cannot understand WHY this movie has yet to be released on DVD. To me, that should have happened ages ago! Both Miss Parker and Eileen Farrell who did the actual singing were tremendous!! And then Glenn Ford - he couldn't have been better!

I also wish that TCM would do a tribute to Eleanor Parker. She was an excellent actress along with being a very beautiful woman. It would be great if Robert Osborne would host some of her movies and provide some history with them. He is extremely knowledeable and strikes me as such a gentleman. I guess I'll have to keep on hoping.

Eleanor was very, very good in this film. But, then again, she's good in all of her films, a highly watchable star. I will never understand why the academy is reluctant to bestow a special oscar to female performers (unless your name is liz, sophia, or audrey). In my opinion, the academy is fifteen years late giving Eleanor an oscar for outstanding career achievement. The academy is so biased to male performers, i think i may puke. And i would love to see what EP looks like now and if she still has that awesome voice. I am boycotting the oscar crapfest from now on til they start honoring EP, bacall, de havilland, fontaine, scott, jones, russell, ...

Parker is one of my favorite actresses. She has the ability to get lost in each character she plays. Compare her performances in the three films she was Oscar nominated: DETECTIVE STORY, CAGED and INTERRUPTED MELODY. Each performance is unique and different. I think Parker had the misfortune to up against some stiff competition each year she was nominated. The same year Joanne Woodward won her Oscar in THREE FACES OF EVE, Parker played basically the same kind of multi-character role in LIZZIE out performing Woodward two to one. Oscar once in a while honors multiple losers such as Deborah Kerr. Unfortunately Parker is all but forgotten by today's audiences. Many people confused her with Eleanor Powell. If Parker is at all remembered its for her performances as the Baroness in SOUND OF MUSIC, which is unfortunate. And BTW some of the other ladies that are mentioned were Oscar winners, i.e. DeHavilland, Fontaine & Jones. Also, lets not forget a special Oscar for Doris Day. She is long overdue.

Of course i know that Olivia, Joan, and Jennifer won oscars in the 40's. My point and complaint is that the academy gives a special career oscar to Sophia Loren. I like Sophia but O, J, and J are better actresses in my opinion. Jennifer has done charity work for the last 25 years but i guess that's not worthy of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. It would be nice to see these ladies on the oscar telecast again before they move on to the afterlife.

I agree with you about Eleanor. She is wonderful to watch; she really gets into the role and goes for it. Of the fourteen films i've seen of hers so far, i'd have to say my favorite EP movies are Of Human Bondage - 1946, The Woman In White, and Naked Jungle. She was born in my home state of Ohio (as was your girl Doris Day). I'm not a fan of Doris yet, but that may change after i eventually watch Love Me Or Leave Me.

FYI, the Film Society of Lincoln Center held a retrospective of Jennifer Jones' best films last May and Jennifer was too ill to attend. This of course would not preclude her receiving an honorary Oscar; many remember a very ill Myrna Loy via satellite receiving her honorary award.

Regarding Doris Day, who I agree is criminally overlooked, I think the Academy insists that the recipient appear on the show (if only by satellite). By all accounts, Doris has withdrawn from public life.