Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
rover27

What happened to all the Golden Age classics?

What's happened to all the Golden age classics from the late 30s, 40s, and early 50s that TCM used to show? They were what TCM was known for. They've always shown more modern movies, but they were the exception and not the rule. Now they're the rule not the exception. Get it together, programmers. Your current schedules suck. Let's get back to what made TCM the great channel it used to be.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The golden age classics are still there???

1 movie from 1975 airing on TCM is not the end of the world. 

• Thanks 1

I’m currently watching a 1956 Joan Crawford movie that I recorded off TCM a few months ago. 

OP, you should provide some specifics. I don't feel your claim holds up.

I took a look back at the last 18 movies I've watched on TCM. All of them were during primetime, between 8 pm and 2 am ET. By decade, they broke down like this:

'30s 5
'40s 4
'50s 3
'60s 6

None from 1970 or later. And it was probably my personal choice that I fit my scheduling around watching more movies from the '60s than any other decade (barely).

And even if that ratio was indicative of TCM programming in general, THE SIXTIES WAS A LONG FREAKING TIME AGO, DUDE! Unless it came out in 1969, EVERY MOVIE FROM THE SIXTIES IS AT LEAST 50 YEARS OLD! That's old enough to earn consideration for classic status, in my book. I don't know what to say if you're old as dirt, and the '60s feels too new to you (actually, it sounds like late '50s is too new for you, and late '50s is SIXTY years ago!). TCM can't keep catering exclusively to your generation forever, because frankly, you'll all be dead eventually. Sorry to be so cruel about it, but TCM has to be more inclusive than just trying to continue to appeal to the oldest of its viewers.

I don't know how you could have watched anything TCM has done recently and still believe what you said. Let's look at a couple of recent Stars of the Month. Marlene Dietrich's month didn't show any movies more recent than 1961. Leslie Howard's month didn't show any movies more recent than 1942. The movie musicals theme moved chronologically. At least 60 per cent of the movies featured were from before 1960. And Lawrence has provides you with a decade by decade breakdown of the entire month of August, which shows that everything you say is actually incorrect.

7 hours ago, rover27 said:

What happened to all the golden age classics?

I think they've been made illegal now. Too many viewers were passing out from the boredom.

5 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Sorry to be so cruel about it, but TCM has to be more inclusive than just trying to continue to appeal to the oldest of its viewers.

Exactly, if TCM goes "teets" up it will be because of this.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, rover27 said:

What's happened to all the Golden age classics from the late 30s, 40s, and early 50s that TCM used to show? They were what TCM was known for. They've always shown more modern movies, but they were the exception and not the rule. Now they're the rule not the exception. Get it together, programmers. Your current schedules suck. Let's get back to what made TCM the great channel it used to be.

Here's my decade-by-decade breakdown of movies TCM has played over the years.  Everything is calculated in the same pass, exactly the same way.  No hockey stick graphs, no ASOS weather stations located on the hot concrete tarmacs at busy airports, etc.  As of this posting, this covers from 1994 up through Sept 2018:
http://moviecollector.us/reports/1)movies-only.htm

• Thanks 1

Maybe the OP caught '33's KING KONG yesterday afternoon and will settle down now.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Sewhite said: MOVIE FROM THE SIXTIES IS AT LEAST 50 YEARS OLD! That's old enough to earn consideration for classic status, in my book.

I'm proud to have achieved "classic" status in your book!

6 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Unless it came out in 1969, EVERY MOVIE FROM THE SIXTIES IS AT LEAST 50 YEARS OLD! That's old enough to earn consideration for classic status, in my book

When did The Godfather become a classic?

(This is actually a serious question.)

8 minutes ago, Fedya said:

When did The Godfather become a classic?

(This is actually a serious question.)

The minute it hit the theaters in the 1970’s. 

• Like 2

Don't take these phony posters seriously.  They don't deserve it.  Their purpose is not to bring TCM back to what it "originally" was, but to change it into what it has never been, or never intended to be.

17 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Don't take these phony posters seriously.  They don't deserve it.  Their purpose is not to bring TCM back to what it "originally" was, but to change it into what it has never been, or never intended to be.

Oh, it's a walk in the park for me.  No worries... :D

Now this spam, that is a different story.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Sewhite said: MOVIE FROM THE SIXTIES IS AT LEAST 50 YEARS OLD! That's old enough to earn consideration for classic status, in my book.

I'm proud to have achieved "classic" status in your book!

As someone born in the mid-80s, I guess I'll call myself a "modern classic."  Lol.

• Like 2

TCM can't keep catering exclusively to your generation forever, because frankly, you'll all be dead eventually. Sorry to be so cruel about it, but TCM has to be more inclusive than just trying to continue to appeal to the oldest of its viewers.

That is a horrible thing to say about THE BOOMERS. We were the first to love the old classics.  A BOOMER never feels old.  By the way, you will  be dead sooner or later.  We don't know when we are called.  There is no time limit for death.  Arrogance does not get you anywhere.

3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

As someone born in the mid-80s, I guess I'll call myself a "modern classic."  Lol.

JimmyMac - 1957 - A Golden Oldie, A Blast From The Past.

Haha, due to spam here in GENERAL DISCUSSIONS, I took a quick look over in the YOUR FAVORITES section. Three quarters of the the threads on pg 1 were these titles:

•  
  • LONG HOT SUMMER (1958) - the sexless man
  • IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD---tributes in AIRPLANE?
  • It's movie heaven, 1961 style : SUSAN SLADE
  • Cimarron (1960)
  • MIRAGE (1965) - serve me some NOIR!
  • MURDER on ORIENT EXPRESS - any opinions on newest version?
  • How Vertigo foreshadowed “Catfishing,” AI, and metoo
  • DARKEST HOUR - "underground folks" meet Churchill
  • Has anyone seen *Scorsese's marvelous "HUGO?"
  • Cat Ballou 1965
  • The Swimmer (1968) first time viewing

Seems like members enjoy watching & discussing movies on TCM from all eras, including many past the "golden age classics" Remember that subforum is titled "your favorites".