Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Comedy of the 1950's

Guest Bowser, Kevin

Guest walker, ken

How about "The Mouse that Roared"[1959],with Peter Sellers playing multi-roles.Watch for the opening credits with the familiar Columbia Pictures logo! Very funny movie!

Guest o, rita

hello, I've recently joined in on the message board with all you knowledgeable film buffs. I loved the Judy Holliday film Born Yesterday. She won an academy award for the role.

Although "Some Like It Hot" is the best comedy of the 1950's I found the film "Pillow Talk" very amusing. It starred Doris Day and Rock Hudson and was released in 1959 the same year as "Some Like It Hot".

Guest walker, ken

Rita o, Let me be among the first to welcome you aboard! There are a lot of fans with a lot of different interests here,all with one common denominator..their love of old movies.I've been a movie lover all my life and I go back a few years!!! I like "Born Yesterday" also.I thought Judy and Broderick Crawford made a good team.I'll be watching for your comments on the web....

Guest son, jery

Rita and Ken, here's a little real-life nugget regarding "Born Yesterday." I interviewed Broderick Crawford, the star of "Born" back in l974 when he played the same role in a dinner theater production in Montgomery, Alabama.By then, he had become a complete alcoholic. During our interview, he poured 100 per cent vodka into a tea glass and gulped it down like water. He went through 4 glasses of this stuff in just an hour. And, good God, the stories he told about Judy Holiday and the making of that movie. This couldn't be published in a family newspaper. Still, he was colorful, funny but his face was so wrinkled from a drinking life that it resembled the map of China.

Guest o, rita

Hello, Ken! Thank you for your welcome! I just made a reply to Jery Son for his response to one of my posts thanking him for his acknowleddgement before I was aware of yours. I am new to message boards. As I expressed to Jery Son this board really intrigued me with the articulate, lively, knowledgeable people like yourself and Jery Son. So, a "tip of the hat" to the both of you. i love the old films and actors and "stars", and I admit, the scandals of that era. i believe my fascination of all things "hollywood" was precipitated by my mother. i remember her reading the fanzines, i.e. movie screen, photoplay, silver screen, etc....watching the Oscars w/her. My mother loved elizabeth taylor; she thought La Liz the most beautiful woman in the world. When the "world and the media hated liz for stealing eddie fisher from 'poor debby reynolds'" my mother defended la liz and remained her most loyal fan. Excuse me for being so effusive, but it's fun sharing this stuff to people who can relate.

Guest o, rita

Hi, Jery Son I left you a message on one of the discussions where i replied to your response. Sorry, I can't remember which one. However, thanks for the "little nugget". This is what I meant when I expressed why i joined this community. I would have loved to have had a conversation w/any of the actors or stars from that golden era of hollywood. I have seen some...Judy Garland, Betty Grable, Gig Young, Doris Day, but, I never approached them for an autograph or anything like that. Oh, and Gina LoLabriggida at a party in my hometown; she was there for a promotion and to hype her book of photography. (My mother is Italian-born), hence, why i was at the party). my godfather was Tom Mix's valet. I didn't discover this until after he died. I sure would have liked to have picked Uncle Arthur's brain about what he knew about hollywood, what stars/actors he met, etc. Did Broderick like Judy Holliday. Did he consider her a prima donna. Come on, Jery Son, tell a little!

Guest walker, ken

rita o' Glad to know that you are enjoying the message boards.I feel the same way about the classics,and the old way of movie making.I watch TCM more than any other channel.Many of the films shown there I have seen in the theater.I love "Silent Sunday Night".Lon Chaney,is my favorite silent star,along with Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford.jeri son and I are big serial fans,especially Republic serials,and horror films,the black and white Universals ,in particular.Bottom line is,I just love movies!On these boards there is something for everyone.Happy reading!!!kw

Guest K, Sandy

Wow, jeryson, you have met so many interesting people. I hope that Broderick Crawford didn't have anything nasty to say about Judy Holliday, because I love her. I hate to be disillusioned. Of course, I still want to know what he said, nasty or not! I am a terrible old gossip, aren't I? ;)

Guest olmsted, l

I can't tell you all how envious I am of you all. Most of my favorites were long gone before I was even born! So to me, these stars are even more magical and mysterious. I saw a play recently about classic Hollywood and one of the characters talks about the "IT" factor, specifically Clara Bow, of course. She asked, "Who is our IT girl these days?" We just aren't blessed with that same kind of magic that legends like Garbo, Dietrich, Monroe, etc. gave us. In a way it's too bad, but at the same time, I wouldn't have it any other way. Who could possibly fill the shoes of the great stars of yesteryear? Sandy, I know what you mean about not being disillusioned, however I have to say that that is one of the things that really attracts me to reading and watching bios of my favorite stars. I like to know all the nitty gritty details of their lives and can appreciate the HUMAN side of their celebrity. Even though I put these people up on a pedestal (ridiculous as it may seem), I like to read and hear about them getting knocked off of it once in a while. That's the really FUN part! :)

All this discussion about seeing stars reminds me of the time I saw Katharine Hepburn in person. It was in the 1980's in New York where she was appearing in the play "West Side Waltz". A crowd gathered at the stage door waiting and her chauffer warned us not to take pictures of Miss Hepburn. Alas she pranced out head high (a little shaky) with a warm smile and headed for an old station wagon. Her chauffer opened the door and off they drove down the street. Hilarious!

Guest r, cyndi

Not to disrupt the flow of this thread, but I wanted to add my thoughts on the best comedy of the 50's.... There is no better comedy (In my opinion) that has been or will ever be better then the fabulous "Auntie Mame". Rosalind Russell found her niche when she played this roll. The BEST BEST BEST!!! From Vera Child ("The first lady of the American theater"),to Mr. Babcock (that's Babcock the baboon faced boy to you") the characters in this movie made you wish you had a crazy Auntie Mame in your family. I know I did!! Remember folks..."Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"

Good choice Cyndi. Everytime time I see this film I appreciate the comical antics of Miss Russell as Auntie Mame. Although Oscar nominated I was surprised that she didn't win the award since her performance was top notch. She "was" Auntie Mame!

Guest K, Sandy

I vote for AUNTIE MAME, too! Although SOME LIKE IT HOT is just as funny in a different way. I love the scene in AUNTIE MAME where Mame goes to visit her nephew Patrick's potential in-laws. They make her some horrid sweet cocktail that she throws over her shoulder into the bushes.

Guest walker, ken

Sandy, I'll cast another vote for "Auntie Mame".Rosalind Russell is a delight in the title roll.Action star Forrest Tucker,did well in support I thought.Although I don't recall seeing any British films mentioned,i'll have to mention "Kind Hearts and Coronets" with Sir Alec Guiness.

Guest Hern, A.L.

In terms of sheer numbers, the 1950s was not a good decade for comedies, though there were some world-class ones. The best, in ascending order: 5 -- THE PALEFACE (Paramount, 1952) 4 -- BORN YESTERDAY (Columbia, 1950) 3 -- THE COURT JESTER (Paramount, 1955) 2 -- SOME LIKE IT HOT (UA, 1959) And the winner is...(Gasp! It's a MUSICAL!) 1 -- SINGIN' IN THE RAIN (MGM, 1952)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Hatchetman1945

Alec Guiness did some great comedieis in the 50's.. The best is one of my favorites, "The Lavendar Hill Mob." Great satirical sequence toward the end of the movie on the London Police doing a car chase. I also like "It's In the Bag" with Robert Benchley, but that movie came out in the late 40's.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest mongo

Since we haven't heard from Kevin Bowser since he posted the question here about the best comedy of the 1950's I was wondering about the media project he did for school and what film was chosen to be the best?

• 7 months later...
Guest Darlene

"Pillow Talk" with Doris Day and Rock Hudson gets my vote for the best. Quite funny, romantic, sexy and lots of fun. At a recent screening in Los Angeles, I understand the theater was filled with laughter and cheers for this hilarious film. Look for it in January on TCM when Doris is "Star of the Month".

My pick is a underrated gem called CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR (1950)starring Ronald Colman & Vincent Price. If you get a chance to rent, or see it at a revival house, RUN don't walk to the theatre. It is priceless!