Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

All films screened by TCM at least once, but not since the turn of the century.

LsDoorMat

If you look at the list, there are some WB, MGM, First National, RKO, and Monogram titles in the list. But there are also an awful lot of westerns that may be public domain, movies made 60s-80s that may just be mediocre and nobody ever bothered to digitize them, and strangely enough quite a few Columbias.  So it doesn't look like TCM is holding out on us because the films they showed when they first debuted are now considered too old. I'll put in bold the stuff I think TCM should have easy access to - original Turner Library, although I know a couple that do have rights problems.

5 Card Stud (1968) Paramount
Adventure in Washington (1941) Columbia
Airport 1975 (1974) Universal
Alias French Gertie (1930) Warner Bros.
The Amsterdam Kill (1977) Columbia
Arizona Whirlwind (1944) Monogram
Arrowhead (1953) Paramount
Attack and Retreat (1964) Embassy
---------------------------------
Battle of Rogue River (1954) Columbia
Behind the Mask (1946) Monogram
Beyond The Forest (1949) Warner Brothers
The Big Risk (1960) United Artists
Bitter Sweet (1933) United Artists
The Black Bird (1975) Columbia
Black Sheep (1935)  Fox
Black Sunday (1977) Paramount
Body and Soul (1927) MGM
Bon Voyage (1957)
Branded (1950) Paramount
The Bridge in the Jungle (1971) United Artists
Burn! (1970) United Artists
----------------------------------
Cameramen at War (1943)
Casanova's Big Night (1954) Paramount
Caught Short (1930) MGM
Chess Player (1927) Gaumont (French)
Christine Jorgensen Story (1970) United Artists
Coming Home (1978) United Artists
Copper Canyon (1950) Paramount
Cotton Comes to Harlem (1970) United Artists
--------------------------------
The Daring Young Man (1942) Columbia
A Delicate Balance (1973) Public Domain???
Divorce Among Friends (1930) Warner Brothers
Down in San Diego (1941) MGM
DW Griffith Father Of Film (Three Episodes) PBS
-------------------------------
Edge of Fury (1958) United Artists
El casado casa quiere (1948)
El Paso (1949) Pine Thomas Productions
The End of St. Petersburg (1927)
Escape From San Quentin (1957) Columbia
-----------------------------------
Fast and Loose (1930) Paramount
The Fast Life (1929) First National
Footlight Varieties (1951) RKO

Fun With Dick and Jane (1977) Columbia
-------------------------------------
Geisha Boy (1958) Paramount
Give Us This Day (1949) Denham Studios, UK
Gigolettes of Paris (1933) Majestic Studios
Good News (1930) MGM
Good Old Soak (1937) MGM
The Good The Bad and The Beautiful (1957) (Turner Productions)

Gray Lady Down (1978) Mirisch/Universal
Grease 2 (1982) Paramount
Great Missouri Raid (1951) Paramount
Greta Garbo: Temptress and the Clown (1986) MGM
Gunfighters of Abilene (1951) United Artists
Gunmen From Laredo (1959) Columbia
-------------------------
Hammett (1982) Warner Bros.
Harvey Middleman, Fireman (1965) Columbia
Hero at Large (1980) MGM
Hidden Fear (1957) United Artists
The Hireling (1973) Columbia
Hit and Run (1957) United Artists
Homecoming (1973) UK
Hook and Ladder (1932) Hal Roach
Huk! (1956) United Artists
Hurry Sundown (1963) Paramount
-----------------------------------------
If You Had To Do it All Again (1972)
Invisible Ghost (1941)
Iriquois Trail (1950)
It's a Great Life (1929) MGM
----------------------------------------
Joe and Ethel Turp Call on the President (1939) MGM
John Huston: The Man, the Movies, the Maverick (1988)
Joyless Street (1925)
La cage aux folles II (1980)
A la sombra del puente (1948)
Lady Liberty (1972)
A Lady To Love (1930)  MGM
The Last Laugh (1925)
The Last Outpost (1925) Paramount
Laurel and Hardy's Laughing 20's (1965)
Les Sous (1973)
Lilac Time (1928) First National
Lone Gun (1954)
Long Good Friday (1980)
Los que volvieron (1948)
Louisiana Territory (1953) RKO
Macbeth (1972) (TV movie)
Mad Monster (1942)
Madame Bovary (1934)
Mama Loves Papa (1933 Paramount
Man With My Face (1951)
Massacre Canyon (1954) Columbia
The Missing Lady (1946) Monogram
Murder in Harlem (1935)
Murder in Times Square (1943) Columbia
Music Lovers (1970)
Mystery of Mr. Wong (1939) Monogram
-------------------------------
Nabonga (1944)
Naked Edge (1961)
Nevada (1944) RKO
New Adventures of Get-Rich-Quick Wallingford (1931) MG
M
New Centurions (1972) Columbia
New Orleans Uncensored (1955) Columbia
The Night Caller (1965)
Nightkill (1980)
Night of the Quarter Moon (1959)
No Sex Please We're British (1973)
Oh Susanna! (1936)
On the Double (1961)
One New York Night (1935) MGM
------------------------------------
Pardners (1956)
Party Husband (1931) First National
Passage From Hong Kong (1941) Warner Bros.

Pendulum (1969) Columbia
Phantom of Hollywood (1974) TV Movie (MGM)
Pleasure of His Company (1961)
Pocket Money (1972)
Police Bullets (1942) Monogram
Pony Express (1953)
Powdersmoke Range (1935) RKO
Prestige (1944)
Remains To Be Seen (1953) MGM
Reunion in Vienna (1933) MGM

Revolt at Fort Laramie (1956)
Robbery Under Arms (1957)
Rock-a-Bye Baby (1958)
Rootin' Tootin' Rhythm (1937) Republic
Run For Cover (1955)
-------------------------
Satyricon (1969)
Savage Messiah (1972)
Secret of Deep Harbor (1961)
Shadow Returns (1946) Monogram
Shadow Strikes (1937)
Shaft in Africa (1973)
She Couldn't Say No (1930) WB (I THOUGHT THIS WAS LOST EXCEPT FOR THE SOUNDTRACK???)
The Singing Kid (1936) Warner Brothers
So This is Africa (1933) Columbia
Souls of Sin (1949)
Star Trek THe Motion Picture (1979) Paramount
A Stranger is Watching (1982) MGM

Tabu (1931)
Three Bites of the Apple (1967)
The War at Home (1979)
Three Crooked Men (1959)
Three Sundays to Live (1957)
Thunder in the Sun (1959)
Till We Meet Again (1936) Paramount
Town Tamer (1965)
Trial and Error (1962) MGM-British
Trial of Mary Dugan (1941) MGM

Triple Deception (1957)
Triumph of the Will (1935)
-----------------------------
Un nuage entre les dents (1974)
Under The Tonto Rim (1947)
-----------------
Valerie (1957)
----------------------
The War at Home (1979)
Warning Shot (1967)
Water Rustlers (1939)
We of the Never Never (1982)
Wetherby (1985)
Who's Minding The Store (1963)
Whose Life Is It Anyway? (1981) MGM
Why Would I Lie? (1980) MGM

With Orson Welles: Stories from a Life in Film (1990) (TV) BBC
A Woman of Mystery (1958)
Woody Allen: A To Z (1996)
Wyoming (1947) Republic
--------------------------------------
You Light up My Life (1977) Columbia

What's curious here is that, while many of these films are obscure, there are some that its shocking about them being gone from TCM. I am thinking specifically of Coming Home, the 1978 Oscar-winning film that one would have thought would have been a staple of late-night airings during the annual 31 Days of Oscar. It would be nice to see some of these air again, Reunion in Vienna sounds like a good film, and I've wanted to see Pleasure of His Company for a long time now.

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

How did you create this list? Are you sure you're not leaving any titles out?

I went through moviecollector's database of all films that have ever played and picked all films that had their last showing in the 1990s. I know some must be wrong. For example "She Couldn't Say No" starring Winnie Lightner from 1930 is lost save the soundtrack. Unless they did something where they inserted stills as the soundtrack played, I don't know how this would be done. I also know that "The Wild Party" (1929) starring Clara Bow aired on TCM at some point in time because I have a copy of that film and it has a TCM watermark that pops up every twenty minutes or so. However, it is not in the  database. Neither is Ceiling Zero, and I did find my copy of that film and it does have the TCM logo in the corner. Same for the 1929 version of Trial of Mary Dugan. So I guess I'd say this list is no more reliable that moviecollector's database, and he does admit his database has some holes in it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I went through moviecollector's database of all films that have ever played and picked all films that had their last showing in the 1990s. I know some must be wrong. For example "She Couldn't Say No" starring Winnie Lightner from 1930 is lost save the soundtrack. Unless they did something where they inserted stills as the soundtrack played, I don't know how this would be done. I also know that "The Wild Party" (1929) starring Clara Bow aired on TCM at some point in time because I have a copy of that film and it has a TCM watermark that pops up every twenty minutes or so. However, it is not in the  database. Neither is Ceiling Zero, and I did find my copy of that film and it does have the TCM logo in the corner. Same for the 1929 version of Trial of Mary Dugan. So I guess I'd say this list is no more reliable that moviecollector's database, and he does admit his database has some holes in it.

Now that I have something to look for, I'll look into those.  There may be some evidence out there.  If I can find it, I'll tack it on.

Here are a couple of questions somewhat related to the thread topic:

What is the newest non-documentary feature film to air on TCM?

How about in the earlier, pre-millennium "better days" of TCM? What was the newest movie to have shown back then?

Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

Now that I have something to look for, I'll look into those.  There may be some evidence out there.  If I can find it, I'll tack it on. 

It could be that somebody scheduled "She Couldn't Say No" and then TCM found out later that the film was considered lost. They did the same with "Glorious Betsy" about ten years ago. TCM scheduled it, and then later found out that the sound discs were lost and had to take it off of the schedule.

3 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

It could be that somebody scheduled "She Couldn't Say No" and then TCM found out later that the film was considered lost. They did the same with "Glorious Betsy" about ten years ago. TCM scheduled it, and then later found out that the sound discs were lost and had to take it off of the schedule.

That could be the case for these.  This project goes way beyond just gathering a bunch of old schedules together.  Every bit helps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That could be the case for these.  This project goes way beyond just gathering a bunch of old schedules together.  Every bit helps.

Believe me, I appreciate your scholarship and tenacity on this matter. That database is very enlightening.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, calvinnme said:

TCM did do a segment a few years back on films that have only partially survived. I know they played the "tip toe thru the tulips" from the Gold Diggers of Broadway for example.

45 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

How about in the earlier, pre-millennium "better days" of TCM? What was the newest movie to have shown back then?

I think the first answer would be a tie between two films in 2011: Le Havre and The Artist. I'm not going to count the faux documentary about the "lost" silent film that was done in 2016, since that was more of a short than a movie.

No clue to the latter, although I have a hunch it was either some late 80s/early 90s Oscar film or one of the last few MGM films in the Turner library (Wise Guys, Year of the Dragon, Cat's Eye, Marie, 2010, Dream Lover, Mrs. Soffel, The Ice Pirates, 9 1/2 Weeks, etc.)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

TCM did do a segment a few years back on films that have only partially survived. I know they played the "tip toe thru the tulips" from the Gold Diggers of Broadway for example.

That was "Fragments:Surviving Pieces of Lost Films" that aired back in 2011.

The Wild Party (1929) did appear in my data (2000-08 & 2001-05), but mysteriously out of order in the way it was sorted.  It appears in my table before the 1923 movie of the same name.  I will look into this and see why it sorted it this way.  Strange.

Ceiling Zero (1936) - from IMDB trivia:
After the 1993 VHS release, legal complications reared their ugly heads, and this title was taken off the market; as a result there has, so far, never been a DVD release, and except for a single presentation in May 1994, it's never been broadcast on Turner Classic Movies. The remake, International Squadron (1941), also fell into the same legal quagmire and has never been released on VHS nor DVD nor aired on TCM. These are the only James Cagney and Ronald Reagan titles to remain legally unavailable for public viewing at this time. See more »

[I will add this in for May 1994, even though I don't have that month]

In looking for any evidence of The Trial Of Mary Dugan (1929) having aired, I see it was scheduled for July 24, 2014 here:
https://immortalephemera.com/52791/tcm-preview-july-2014/
but then was replaced by The Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1929) [confirmed by more than one of my sources]

Then in 2009 there was a bunch of Internet chatter about TCM having a Norma Shearer block.  But no concrete mention of this movie actually playing at that time.

Here's the best I can find on Mary Dugan:
http://forums.tcm.com/topic/24774-the-trial-of-mary-dugan-1929/
In this thread, it is stated that TCM did have it scheduled for April 1994.  Again, this month isn't in my project.  Maybe I should add this into my entries too.  The reply in the thread conforms to my requirements, it is reported (by someone I consider to be a reputable source) to have appeared in the schedule, though there are no reports of anyone who actually saw it firsthand.

Little side note I came across: Norma Shearer turned down the role for Mrs. Miniver.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

Satyricon (1969) aired in 2009 and 2015 according to MC's list.

Shaft in Africa (1973) was shown in 2014 and 2016.

I don't think he's referring to Fellini Satyricon. There are two Satyricons from 1969, one by Gian Luigi Polidoro. He's probably referring to that one. Here's an IMDB link.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166788/

8 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Someone has posted a list of all the films that aired the first week or so of TCM, and Rich and Famous, the Candice Bergen-Jacqueline Bissett remake of Old Acquaintance aired the second day of TCM's existence! It's an MGM film and is presumably in the library, though TCM took a long break between airings. If it hadn't been shown one time in 2012, it would have been on the list above. Anyway, it was only 13 years old when it aired on TCM in 1994 and I think would be a contender.

6 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Someone has posted a list of all the films that aired the first week or so of TCM, and Rich and Famous, the Candice Bergen-Jacqueline Bissett remake of Old Acquaintance aired the second day of TCM's existence! It's an MGM film and is presumably in the library, though TCM took a long break between airings. If it hadn't been shown one time in 2012, it would have been on the list above. Anyway, it was only 13 years old when it aired on TCM in 1994 and I think would be a contender.

It was also the last film for George Cukor, which might explain why it was on so soon after the channel started.

• Thanks 1

The newest film I can find on the OP's list is Wetherby, a 1985 British film with Vanessa Redgrave, Ian Holm, Judi Dench, Tom Wilkinson and Joely Richardson (who played her mother's younger self). Calvin didn't list a studio for this one, but it was distributed in the US by MGM/UA Classics and so was probably in the library back in the day.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings