Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

mandingo vs. song of the south

NipkowDisc

this is ridiculous. anyone who has ever seen song of the south knows it to be a harmless disney children's film from 1946 but mandingo is a sex-laden blackploitation trash film...and yet tcm will show it but never song of the south.

I think there is great hypocrisy here.

Image result for song of the south disney

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Song of the South is owned by Disney. Do you know how hard it is to get anything from Disney? None of the other main Disney animated movies have appeared on TCM either.

Exactly - it's Disney that have protected our collective delicate minds from SOTS, ever since it last made an escape attempt on laserdisc...

• Haha 1

Well, combine the two into a new film. The kindly old black dude turns out to be

a pedophile, he later forces the brother and sister to have sex with each other, and

then he bumrushes their mother. Song, song of the south, put yer fiddle right

in my mouth. 

• Haha 2

Wow, that was a bit ... graphic.

But, yeah, you can't blame TCM for this one. Not only is it a Disney full-length (partially) animated feature - of which none have ever aired on TCM, as far as I know - but Disney has buried it for 40 years, at least in this country. Blame (or credit, depending on how you feel about these things) rests solely with Disney.

Well Sewhite, I just quickly did the math and found you misspoke. A few local theaters were showing "Song Of The South" in the early '80's, which is when I took my daughters, ages app. 11-8 respectively, to see it.  

And in another POV.....

A friend of mine, who's of German descent, wonders why there's a huge hue and cry over how SLAVES are depicted in movies, but nobody squawks about how when movies about WWII are made, all GERMANS are depicted as evil, rotten NAZIS!  Now, some might excuse it as "historical perspective", but ain

't that what's behind how SLAVES are depicted?  Despite NEITHER depiction being accurate?

Sepiatone

is the liberal demonization of SOTS the reason that nobody ever talks about james baskett's special Oscar?

is that fair to the complete and whole recognition of african-american participation and contributions to american cinema?

for all we know the greedsters of Disney are intentionally sitting on this film so that when they do release it they can make a big hoopla about it to ring in the money.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Well, combine the two into a new film. The kindly old black dude turns out to be

a pedophile, he later forces the brother and sister to have sex with each other, and

then he bumrushes their mother. Song, song of the south, put yer fiddle right

in my mouth. 

You're killing me, Vautrin!

But it might work. In the words of Tiffany Vasquez "There's movies been made about everything."

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings