Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Over-Rated Movies

Guest son, jery

Guest son, jery

Isn't it time we retire "Citizen Kane" from it's number one position--as judged by the American Film Institute--as the greatest movie ever made? To me, "Gone With The Wind" is still the pinnacle of movie-making. What do you think? Are you sick of certain movies being praised to high-heaven--i.e., "Ghandi" or "Chariots of Fire". And pu-leeze, don't even mention "The English Patient"!

Guest Harron, Bobby

I predict this category will get lively in a hurry. Personally (and I know someone is liable to slug me for this), I can't stand "To Kill a Mockingbird." Gregory Peck won an Oscar for essentially wearing a pair of thick glasses and looking earnest. The film's tone also shifts uncomfortably between sticky sentiment, lurid melodrama and a kind of odd pastoral comedy that doesn't really work for me. (The girl is dressed like a ham during the climactic attack for heaven's sake! Ludicrous.) Then there's that scene where what has to be the most orderly lynch mob of all time turns around and goes home after Atticus' children show up at the jail and, uh, stare at them. Am I the only person alive who finds this a trifle simplistic? Well, maybe it's just me. By the way, jery son, I like "Gone With the Wind" too -- but I'm afraid I can't be complicit in the retirement of "Kane." I'm happy to crap all over that dreadful AFI list any time anyone cares to (Fargo at #87!), but Orson Welles' first film is still the greatest of all time in my book. Just a couple of opinions I though I'd share.

Guest olmsted, l

Jeryson, this is so funny! When I read just the title of the discussion, OVER RATED MOVIES, the first thing that popped into my head was Citizen Kane! I told myself, "I have to say something, even if it offends some people." Then I read your message and I couldn't agree with you more. Especially about Gone With The Wind. I first saw the movie when I was 5 and never forgot it. Last year I watched it for the first time since then--I can't believe I waited 20 years! It truly took my breath away. The thing with Citizen Kane is that FILM CRITICS have hailed it as the best movie of all time, but to the true movie lover or even just your average Joe, it's not appealing. Granted, for the time, it was pretty inovative in terms of cinematography, lighting, etc, but come on, the main thing that makes a movie good is a GOOD STORY and this movie just lacks that! Other over-rated movies in my opinion, again, no offense to anyone, are Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, and the more recent Gladiator. I know I'm forgetting some, but these top the list.

Guest walker, ken

How about "Cleopatra[Taylor version],"Exodus","Ten Commandments"[Heston],for starters. Epics fit all of these films,but all are overblown.This category is guaranteed to get some lively discussions!!KW

Following are a list of films I watched on TV and was glad I didn't pay the price of admission for at the movies: "Wuthering Heights" (1939) "Around the World in 80 Days" (1956) "Dr. Strangelove" (1964) "Barry Lyndon" (1975) "Star Wars" (1977) "Out of Africa" (1985) "The Last Emperor" (1987) "Pulp Fiction" (1994) And "Citizen Kane" was already list otherwise it would have been at the top of this list.

I'm like l olmsted--the first thought that popped into **my** mind was CITIZEN KANE. I've see it many times, and I just can't get worked up over it. Here are some others...and don't beat me up over these: ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST THE GRADUATE FANTASIA I also agree with STAR WARS and THE LAST EMPEROR. Good choices for this list.

Guest K, Sandy

Well, I love CITIZEN KANE. I've watched it many times. I also like PULP FICTION (saw it 3 times, actually), FANTASIA (own the special edition dvd), LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (saw it on the big screen), and DOCTOR ZHIVAGO. I do agree though that STAR WARS and THE LAST EMPEROR were a bit of a yawn for me. I think that FORREST GUMP is overrated. It was enjoyable, yes, but I wouldn't have picked it for best picture that year. I liked THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, myself.

Guest r, cyndi

Did you ever see the Seifeld episode where Elaine is talked into seeing "The English Patient"?? That's EXACTLY how I felt...Why couldn't he just hurry up and die already?? Not that it was the worst movie ever made, but it wasn't anywhere near what they lead you to believe. Now, if you swing the pendulum the other way, one of the most UNDERRATED movies has to be "Empire of the Sun" one of Spielbergs best movies, yet one that many people don't know about.

Guest K, Sandy

Yes, EMPIRE OF THE SUN is good-I always forget that it's Speilberg... I saw THE ENGLISH PATIENT when it was first released and I was not bored, even though it is slow moving. I know I'm in the minority here...but the performances were wonderful. I've fallen asleep during two movies in the theatre- THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER and THE FIELD (Richard Harris flick-early 90's)

Guest son, jery

just try sitting through "Coquette," the l929 early talker where Mary Pickford won--I kid you not--best actress! She sounds like she has Krazy-Glu stuffed in her mouth. She sounds like this: "We-yal Clem-, ah gis ah'd bettuh ga hum and dew mu hum-wuk!' (translated: well, clem, i guess I'd better go home and do my homework) or maybe she was helping someone do their homework. You'll cringe, you'll moan, you'll--zzzzzzz!

Guest r, cyndi

In response to Sandy's statement about falling asleep in the theater, that's happened 3 times to me. Once during "Out of Africa" (or as I like to call it, "Get out of Africa"!), Once during "Heartbreak Ridge" (Guess I'm just not a huge Eastwood fan) And most recent during "Star Wars Phantom Menance". Thanks goodness I don't snore!!!

Guest Schaefer, William

Sorry, jeryson, but "Coquette" is good. I think Mary Pickford got the Oscar that year as an acknowledgment of her overall contribution to film up to that point (after "The Taming Of The Shrew" that year, the Academy must have thought their chances to do so in the sound era would be few). Didn't Bette Davis talk like that in "The Cabin In The Cotton"? Maybe she was trying to become the Mary Pickford of her era.

Guest son, jery

Oh, William! I enjoyed your rebuttal and I think that it would be a fun, not to mention educational, reason for TCM to telecast "Coquette" in prime time and let every one weigh in. Maybe they could run it back-to-back with "Cabin in the Cotton"! That'd be a real hoot! I notice TCM has a whole night of "Southern Belle" classics: like "Jezebel" airing right before "Gone With the Wind."

Guest Schaefer, William

Well, I'm probably prejudiced. I just can't dislike anything Mary Pickford is in. Have you ever seen her last talkies, "Kiki" and "Secrets"? I understand that "Kiki" was a semi-musical filmed in Britain, and I've seen stills of Mary donned in an Eleanor Powell-style tux and cane. "Secrets" is apparently some sort of mountain melodrama. I wonder if either of these is still in circulation.

The only thing to really recommend COQUETTE is the appearance of that darling Johnny Mack Brown. I hardly ever tape over pre-Code movies that I tape off of TCM, but this one I did! One time was enough for me!

Yes, Bette did affect a southern accent, but somehow it wasn't quite as obnoxious as Pickford's. I sort of think I grew accustomed to seeing "silent" Mary, and just couldn't quite feel the same way about her talkies. Plus, Mary was playing (again) the young ingenue, which she was not, in real life. In CABIN IN THE COTTON, Bette **is** a young ingenue, and plays the flirty southern belle with more ease. I have also read that the Academy honored Pickford for COQUETTE as more of a lifetime award. I agree, as a film pioneer she certainly deserved recognition, but not for a dog of film like this one!

Guest son, jery

"The Maltese Falcon" is a so-called masterpiece that has never done anything to me. The cast is great but to me it's so boring. It's talk, talk, talk. Whenever one of my film addicted buddies begins their conversation with, "Now, 'The Maltese Falcon,' I'm afraid I roll my eyes and fall asleep.

I thought THE MALTESE FALCON was good the first (and only) time I've seen it, but I've not had the desire to watch it again. A really good movie I can see over, and over, and over and never get tired of. This movie doesn't fit that category, for me. I thought Peter Lorre was good in it, though.

Guest son, jery

William, do you remember the title of the movie that Pickford made with Leslie Howard--and then she destroyed the negative before it was ever released? In her memoir, "Sunshine and Shadow (a real goodie!), she says this movie was so horrible that she never wanted a single person to ever see it. Like Bette Davis, Pickford was a terrible judge of her own work. She was going to destroy all of her movies in the 50s because she thought she looked "old fashioned". Thank god, someone persuaded her not to.

Guest son, jery

"Gladiator" was mentioned by that perceptive L Olmstead, as another over-rated yawn and I want to second that emotion. What a bore! I wanted to see blood and guts and some great macho bodies in loinclothes. Maybe I should have stuck with my Steve Reeves videos. I got so horribly bored with those long, talky sequences that completly stopped the movie. Another real snooze-fest is "What Lies Beneath" with screaming, air-head Michelle Pfeiffer and brooding, neanderthal Harrison Ford.

Guest K, Sandy

jeryson, you're hilarious! Allow me to quote you:"I wanted to see blood and guts and some great macho bodies in loinclothes." I laughed my head off. I agree, too much sloooow talky stuff.