Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Over-Rated Movies

Guest son, jery

Yep...when the movie ended my husband and I looked at each other and said, "What a terrible movie," and shook our heads! I tell you, that character--Harold Zidler--was positively freaky and scary looking. He gave me the willies! I don't know if it was the mustache or just that hair (which reminded me of the lead character in GREED) but he almost gave me nightmares! Noisy...yes, that's a good word to describe MOULIN ROUGE. Oh, and I didn't like that technique of the camera zooming close and then far away. Made me motion sick.

Guest son, jery

Oh, Alix, I did enjoy "Moulin Rouge," but I agree with you that Ewan McGregor was so absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen a singer look so sexy when he sang--especially with that half-smile of his. I hated Nicole Kidman--not for her acting--but because she was the lucky one who got to co-star with the sizzling Ewan! (If you're reading this, Ewan, I'd be more than happy to co-star with you! Just so there're plenty of love scenes!)

Guest Keaton, Rina

I have to agree that CITIZEN KANE is overrated as the best film ever made. In fact, it would have never made my list as best movies. I've seen it twice (simply because I was unable to finish it the first time). It's a good movie with fabulous cinemotography (Gregg Toland), but it's too episodic for my tastes. I don't think there is a "best film ever made".

Guest son, jery

Welcome aboard, Rina, and it was great getting your comments about "Citizen Kane," since I, and many others here, cannot understand why this movie is supposed to be the Greatest! The ones who call it the greatest are those who've never seen any of the great silents like "Intolerance," "Tol'able Dave" and "Greed." What movies do you like?

Jery, didn't you feel like you needed a couple of extra strength Tylenols after the movie was over? I agree that Ewan was very sexy. Even though he's a contemporary star, let's put him on our Babe-a-Licious Hall of Fame.

Guest son, jery

You're so right about the adorable, sexy, charming Ewan! If you want to see ALL of Ewan--in every way--you need o see THE PAINTED BOOK. This is an artsy, very slow, but beautifully photographed movie. Lots of gorgeous skin. About the Tylenol: I saw this first in a theater and staggered out. It was too much. But on my DVD, I can stop it and watch it in snatches. Ewan is definitely a must member for our Babe-A-Licious Hall of Fame!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest son, jery

"Bells are Ringing" played on TCM yesterday. Directed by Vincente Minelli, released by MGM, you'd think this musical from l958 would be at least provide a pleasant two hours of fluff. What a friggin' nightmare this proved to be. Judy Holiday couldn't sing. Dean Martin acted like he was soused. The wardrobe is the worst I've ever seen in an MGM musical. It looked like rejects from a fire-sale at Woolworth's. I can understand now why there wasn't a wardrobe credit at the beginning. No wonder people preferred staying glued to their new toys--the TV sets--in those days than suffering through this hideous exercise in miscast stars and zero direction from Minelli.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cooper, jeane

My favorite character in that whole fiasco was Jean Stapleton. Her befuddlement at the end seemed genuine. One of those "gee - I hoped I haven't ruined my fledgling career with this stinker."

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wardicus

WEST SIDE STORY is an interesting case. I'm not sure if I think it's over or underrated (I think it has some wonderful moments, and some horrible ones, but it's a film I'll defend.) But it's a film that a lot of people within the industry seem to regard as great, while theater people (including some of its creators, including Stephen Sondheim and Arthur Laurents) tend to regard as not very good. And I'm always somewhat surprised when it ranks high on lists like the AFI list of last night (6/11/02)

Guest K, Sandy

wardicus, I am a theatre person and I actually think that the film version of WEST SIDE STORY improves upon the stage version. The film retains the Jerome Robbins choreography, which accounted for much of the success of the play, Sondheim and Bernstein's incredible score notwithstanding. Of course, I have found in my many years in theatre that many musical theatre fans are purists and can be a bit snooty about it!

Guest Wing, Christopher

I have to totaly disagree with you about "Bells Are Ringing". I think it WAS "a pleasent two hours of fluff". A wonderful, charming, intimate musical with amazing Jule Stein songs ("The Party's Over" and "Just in Time" are true standards.) Yes, Dean Martin WAS soused, but then when wasn't he? As for Judy Holliday, she most certainly CAN sing. She defined that roll, and Faith Prince would agree! Her performance of "I'm Going Back" is sheer comic genius! As for the sets and costumes, I think they evoked the mood of the piece perfectly -- this was a story about everyday people, told very simply. This was not a big overblown musical like "My Fair Lady" or "Oliver!" or "Hello Dolly!". It was just a goofy bit of fluff, with one of the best musical scores ever, and some fantastic comedy performances by Judy Holliday (her last film before she died) and Jean Stapleton. Now that I think of it, I'd definitely put "Oliver!" on my list of over-rated movies.

• 1 month later...
Guest oshoko

I think "King Kong" is a horrible movie. The whole movie is just a giant gorilla fighting giant dinosaurs and then going to NYC and climbing the Empire State Building. The only scene I thought was fairly decent was the part where Kong went crazy from the cameras. How it made the AFI's Top 100 movies of All-Time, and even more ridiculous, the Top 100 Passions List, I'll never know.

Guest walker, ken

I don't think that it is the story line that makes this a classic.At a recent theater showing I attended,the dialogue drew laughter from the audience,but the action scenes were applauded. Perhaps this is due to the fact that the stop motion photography was unique for 1933. A good,but more primative version was presented in 1925's "Lost World". Max Stieners score added to the exciting action.. I personally feel that it belongs in the top 100,but again,I have always been a fan of Kong.

Guest son, jery

Oshoko,sorry my friend, but I'm afraid you'll find you're about the only one in the world who takes this viewpoint of the great, the fantastic, the immortal KING KONG! This is one of the world's great classics and will remain so for the next coupla thousand years. The incredible effects, Max Steiner's never-to-be-forgotten musical score, the movie itself, has never been equalled. We all love all kinds of comments on these boards so don't think I'm jumpin on ya. This is just my little opinion.

Guest o, rita

I first saw King Kong when I was a kid, and I loved it! Even as an adult I still enjoy the movie. The movie thrilled audiences in the 30's. I think the special effects were a marvel for a movie made in the early 30's. I think the effects were pure genius for its time. Kong deserves the accolades. It is one of the greatest films.

• 1 month later...
Guest Kilduff, John

According to our friends at the Academy, in 1982, the year of my birth, the best movie made was "Ghandi". This severely irks me. It's a boring epic...I didn't see what the big deal really was. With that, here is a list of 15 movies that would've looked better in the place of "Ghandi", both on the nominations list and as Best Picture (You may find some of these movies overrated, too): "Victor/Victoria" "48 HRS" "Poltergeist" "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" "Eating Raoul" "Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan" "The Evil Dead" "Night Shift" "Diner" "Blade Runner" "Conan The Barbarian" "The Thing" "First Blood" "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" "My Favorite Year" Also, while we're on the subject...where's the justice in "Ghandi" winning Best Costume Design while "Victor/Victoria" had to settle for a nomination? The "Le Jazz Hot" contained more fanciful fashions in 5 minutes than "Ghandi" did in over 3 hours. Sincerely, John Kilduff

Guest lettuce, hedda

John, you really hit the nail on the head with "Ghandi." It is so horribly boring that I think this should be billed with "Chariots of Fire" as perfect punishment for your worst enemy. Both movies were incredibly over-hyped. It was like, if you didn't like these movies, then you were a small town rube. I've always loved being a small town rube--in my case--make that "ruby." Your choices for movies that should have been named the best are right on the mark. In future years, I think movie buffs will wonder how in the world American critics went crazy over the current box office champ: "Signs." What a snooze-fest!

Guest Griffin, Toni

The absolute most overrated movie in my opinion is "Saturday Night Fever".It's badly acted,shallow and not everyone in the 70's liked the whole disco scene to begin with. Unfortunately this movie has come to represent the whole decade.There were 7 years of great 70's music before Travolta and that disgusting polyester suit.

Guest JEANECOOPER

Stay..Stay..Stay..Stay...Staying Alive.....! I agree with a high five! I had heard the soundtrack first - on an LP - and found it slightly grating - but then went to see the movie. Jive Turkey alert! It did nothing for me. I found the characters unsympathetic, the plot cheesey, and started scratching thinking about sweating in polyester. And this from the woman who once had glow paint all over her face from leaning up against it at a frat party. (looked real strange in the black light!) For true 70's dancing music - and yes - it, and disco was at my high school prom - give me "I Will Survive", "Play that Funky Music", " "Hot Child in the City" , "Lady Marmalade", "Never Can Say Goodbye" "U Sexy Thing" and "Get Down Tonight" As to true 70's dancing - give me Don Cornelius' weekly TV show "Soul Train" Solid - man - solid!

Guest olmsted, l

Jeane, love your picks for 70's disco. As for me, I'll take "Dancing Queen" for I am a huge ABBA fan (Sorry for getting off track of the discussion). As for Staying Alive, I don't see what all the fuss about Travolta was--I find him much more attractive these days. :)

***Saturday Night Fever" epitomizes the 70's disco scene. ***Oscar nominee John Travolta dazzles as Tony Manero ***dancing his heart out on the strobe lit floor of the ***local Brooklyn discotecque. ***Best of all the film is heightened by the dynamic ***Grammy Award winning music of the Bee Gee's. ***The disco beat was dominating America consciousness with ***Stayin' Alive***Night Fever***How Deep Is Your Love ***and we were rooting for a working-class Brooklyn ***teenager whose only glory comes on the dance floor. ***Ahhhhh now for two slices of pizza stacked, a pepsi ***and the SNF CD.

Guest finnie12, moira

Jeane, what about "Won't you take me tooooooo---FunkyTown"? T-Bone Walker would be very hurt that you forgot him! I was such a nerd, I never liked "Saturday Night Fever" or "Grease", another cheesy '70s flick that was a knockoff of a cheesy '50s flick. "Rocky", from the same period, was also one of my all-time unfavorites, in part due to the fact that it was another movie that was much better with John Garfield and Paul Newman in "Body and Soul" and "Somebody Up There Likes Me". That, and a vivid memory of my first date with a creepy boy in a polyester shirt to see this turkey. Ah, flaming youth--time and a couple of years in therapy have put it all in perspective...and "that's the way, uh-huh, uh-huh, I like it..." (-:

Guest sdano, sara

I really have to agree with you on this point. I knew this film would end unhappily, yet I expected some more substance. A film like The Bicycle Thief should leave the audience wanting more, wanting him to find his way, and should let us down hard, but just seems to fizzle away. Yes, give us realism, but some more feeling for the characters and their troubles would be helpful.

Guest jeanecooper

Moira - I swear I'm gonna out and buy a "KC and the Sunshine Band" CD after your written tribute. T. Bone will just have to wait. "Grease". I remember being one of the few in my group, I was in college by then, to declare (we issued alot of declaration those days) that it was bad for one's health. The only thing good -IMO - was Stockard Channing's Rizzo. I wasn't into saccharine outlays of anything. I also hated those little semi naked cartoonoids in "Love is..." Gag me with a spoon! (okay it was 80's slang) Anyway, I was preferring movies like "Annie Hall" and "The Man who would be King" and "Days of Heaven", "Young Frankenstein" and "Blazing Saddles". Too bad about about the dude with lost fashion sense. Did he complete the look by having a perm and wearing the polyester shirt unbuttoned halfway and a gold chain against either a chicken or gorilla chest? Ohh these bad memory vibes are making my mood ring go black and my pet rock jump!

Guest finnie12, moira

Gee, Jeane, I don't recall mr. wonderful very well, but I think he had a gold chain with the shark's tooth and he was too young for the mattress stuffing on the chest routine. What I did enjoy in the '70s were those movies you mentioned, as well as some of these, though some more than others... "Animal House" -I even attended a toga party, though I don't remember how I got home... "Deliverance" -I got sick during this one, on another date to forget...one guess which scene sent me running? "Barry Lyndon" -in the 'beautiful, but dumb' school, but I loved this and I think that I'm one of maybe eleven people who saw this in a theater, where it is at its best. "Next Stop, Greenwich Village" -my bags were packed and I was ready to go after this one, even though it's only a memory of beautiful NYC in the '50s and probably far from reality. "The Deer Hunter" -one of those unforgettable movies, seen in the company, I'm happy to say, of a very nice older guy who was a Vietnam veteran. "Last Tango in Paris" -my friends and I went to see if Marlon was ****! I felt very naughty since I was underage and it was rated X!!! "Car Wash" and "Thank God It's Friday" -a great double feature that we sneaked into the Roxy drive-in to see with Donna Summer's and the Commodore's music. Boy, did we feel funky after this one!