Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Over-Rated Movies

Guest son, jery

Terrific topic. I just had to briefly weigh-in & although it's a very good (***1/2) movie 1998's OSCAR sweeping: *"Shakespeare in Love" must be cited here, mainly due to it outrageously defeating the superb "Saving Pvt. Ryan" for the biggie>BEST PICTURE OSCAR that yr. For those of whom thought the A.M.P.A.S./Hollywood,etc had some degree of credibility left in it's pix, have been known to lose all faith for that dispicable upset of '98!

& I agree about '78's "Grease" Can you believe it's the highest grossing movie-musical of all-time-(NOTE: Adjusted for inflation>'65's *"Sound of Music," would still hold that record though) Speaking of "Grease" Has anyone ever seen "Grease 2?" My fav. of our era: Michelle Pfeiffer-(1957-) musta' had to just pay her bills at that stage of the game Thank You

Some of my personal overrated films include: "Animal House"--waste of time; perhaps it's a generational thing or something, "Titanic"--i liked this movie a lot but it's overrated. They top my list as of yet. On comment to the person dissin singin in the rain, i disagree. You can't discredit the work it took to make musicals as just some passive thing because our hindsight and film production now is always going to be 20/20 when compared to the studio-era...besides GENE KELLY i mean hello...genius....let's see what else is over rated...i think "Annie Hall" is a little overrated. I mean i watched it but I wouldn't call it an essential.

I have to agree about that "Titanic" and The English Patient" are over-rated. I hated "The English Patient." "Titanic" was ok the first time I saw it, but I've grown to hate it because of the hype. Speaking of over-rated, two words...Leonardo DiCaprio.

Who said they didn't like "Close Encounters?" In my opinion, that was when they knew how to make sci-fi suspense movies. Actually, "Close Encounters" is one of my favorites.

I really only enjoyed one scene in "Casablanca", and that was when Sam was trying to cheer up a devastated, drinking-to-oblivion Rick by suggesting they go off drinking and fishing together. I also enjoyed Sam's singing and playing the piano. I found the repetetive "here's looking at you kid" stuff to be cheesy.

• 2 years later...

OK, maybe there's soemthing wrong with me, but after reading about "The Grand Illusion" in several places and how amazing Jean Gabin was, I was really looking forward to watching it. So I recorded it and finally watched it and was kind of disappointed. Jean Gabin was OK, but the movie was, I don't know--limp, maybe? Is that the word I want? Kind of "Ah well, c'est la gare." I just didn't really get it. My son says, "Mom all you need to know is a) it's French and B) it's French."

Is it because I'm not French? After all these are the people who say, "I have other cats to whip!" and "I have a worm in my nose." Maybe we're not meant to understand...LOL

OK, I'll say it: ''Gone With The Wind" is TOO LONG by about half an hour, romanticizes and sugar-coats the South moral failure, propagates racial stereotypes, and, perhaps worst of all, none of the major characters are likeable, least of all the arrogant, spoiled, self-absorbed **** at the center of it all. Beautifully shot, edited, and scored, yes. Superbly acted and directed, yes. But still an overrated and, for me anyway, completely unlikeable film.

I can understand almost everything you say about Gone With the Wind. Only the word "none" pops out as incongruous. Maybe "most"? As in, ""most of the major characters are unlikeable"? For surely, both Melanie Hamilton Wilkes and Mammy are likeable; no? 'Tis a minor point, to be sure, but I thought I'd toss it out there...

I'm well aware that it wasn't meant to be a history lesson, or it would've been an abject failure as one. It's historical inaccuracy only adds to its faults as a movie IMHO. Essentially, it's a love story, and I don't like Scarlett, Rhett, or Ashley, so I can find it in my heart to care about the story or who ends up with who.

Just watched AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER last night. Having seen it once before, I still find it infuriating and illogical that Deborah Kerr doesn't want to tell Carey Grant about her accident. The whole stupid thing falls to pieces for me right there. Shame, because I enjoy the shipboard romance part of the film.

Looking at the 63 movies of theyshootpictures.com top 100 that I've seen, the only one I can say I actually disliked watching was "L'Atalante." The supposedly overwhelming virtues of "The Searchers," and "Rio Bravo," were not overwhelming to me when I saw them, though perhaps if I saw them again, they'd be more evident.

On a lesser level, "The Big Chill," "Braveheart," "Gladiator," "Titanic," "Crash," [the oscar winner, not the David Cronenberg movie], "A Beautiful Mind," "Ben-Hur," are middlebrow twaddle. I will defend "Gandhi," "The English Patient," "A Man for all Seasons," "Oliver!" and even "Around the World in Eighty Days" from the knee jerk avante-garde. I dislike "Fargo" for the same reason I dislike "To Die For," and "A Simple Plan." For all their cleverness their supposed moral gravity is a sham: their real message is not that murder will always out, but that rural and small town hicks will always fail because they're not as cool as the fashionable Hollywood film-makers.

• 2 weeks later...

At last, someone who understands that the earth shattering box office returns on James Cameron's Titanic did not an instant classic make. That movie's script is a slap in the face to all Titanic survivors. High marks for set design. Low marks for acting. And how is it that no one realized how inarticulate and dragging the middle hour of the film was (post pulling out of South Hampton/pre-iceberg)?!?

Other overrated flicks - Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid, Superman Returns and every single Batman movie from Michael Keaton on.