Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
texanna

best romantic comedy ever?

A lot of great titles here. One I enjoy that I have not seen listed is Blake Edwards' 10 (1979). A lot of people only remember it for Bo Derek running in slow motion on the beach, but overall the movie has a lot of depth. Just look at the 3 minute scene of Dudley Moore playing a Henry Mancini piano piece in one long take... gets me every time...

Dudley Moore and Peter Cook were such "fun" in Stanley Donen's "Bedazzled".

This pick may be more sentimental romance than romance-comedy; but it nonetheless is my fave.

Its a WWII British flick called 'Vacation from Marriage' (alt title, 'Perfect Strangers')

Stars: Deborah Kerr and Robert Donat; plus Glynis Johns. Tender and light; but with meaning and depth. Only a bare few comedic moments but stays with one a long time.

Donat and Kerr play a mousy, listless, drab little couple until suddenly WWII intervenes. Their housing flat is bombed; and the War Office calls each of them up and sends them off into opposite services. Separately, they each struggle to cope...missing each other at first..and then they begin to thrive. New romance blooms for each of them. Each of them wonders whether they want to return to their old life before the war. Life seems to be pulling them apart. Then they meet randomly at a chance party; not even recognizing each other...

• Like 1

I'd like to make a comment about Cary Grant in romantic comedies generally......imo, he personally was fantastic, but many of his "zany" movies are overrated (ie...Bringing up Baby, Philadelphia Story, His Girl Friday......it just has something to do with how hard comedies are to make, and how much the culture has changed since his time. My 20ish kids won't even watch them.

Libeled Lady, Roman Holiday, and (I’m not sure if this counts as a romantic comedy but whatever lol) Love Finds Andy Hardy

3 hours ago, N O I R said:

Libeled Lady, Roman Holiday, and (I’m not sure if this counts as a romantic comedy but whatever lol) Love Finds Andy Hardy

How could Love Finds Andy Hardy NOT be a romantic comedy;  it has a very young Lana Turner!

As for Libeled Lady and Roman Holiday;   two of my favorites!      

Strange, but when it comes to Romantic Comedies, I tend to neglect the ones that were made prior to the 1970's, at the exception, perhaps, of "Roman Holidays",  "Breakfast at Tiffany", "Charade" and "Arabesque" Otherwise, the romantic comedies that I like are:

Pretty Woman (Julia Roberts recently said that this movie could never have been made today)

Sabrina (1995, Harrison Ford)

Notting Hill

The Proposal

Two Weeks Notice

Leap Year

Maid in Manhattan

Six Days Seven Nights

Love Actually

She's out of my League

Meet Joe Black

Roxanne

The Goodbye Girl

The American President

Dave (I am not sure this movie falls directly into the "romantic comedies" category)

Made of Honour

Four Weddings and a Funeral (perhaps not a romantic comedy in a classic sense)

I am sure I forgot some good ones, but these are my choices....for now

I don't know if many people would know this movie, but The Bride Came C.O.D. starring James Cagney and Bette Davis is a must-have. I had to order it from Critics' Choice Video. A very hard find. Cagney shows off his lighter side and really gives Bette Davis a hard time, which I found particularly gratifying . Bringing Up Baby with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn is screwball comedy at its best. I also love Doris Day movies like Move Over, Darling and Send Me No Flowers.

The Bride Came C.O.D. (1941)

2-12dnufx.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I don't know if many people would know this movie, but The Bride Came C.O.D. starring James Cagney and Bette Davis is a must-have. I had to order it from Critics' Choice Video. A very hard find.

I like that movie, as well.

According to MovieCollectorOH's database (http://www.moviecollectoroh.com/reports/TCM_SCHEDULES_SUMMARY_alpha.htm), The Bride Came C.O.D. has aired on TCM at least 41 times, so it's been seen by many of the channel's viewers. 

It's also now easily available on Warner Archive DVD:

61Ow0O9zhhL._SY445_.jpg