Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Alan Smithee Movie

CaveGirl

I think Alan Smithee is one of the finest directors around!

I try to watch all his movies, and record them for my boxed set. My favorite by far is "Death of a Gunfighter".

I would have watched it anyway, being that it stars Jimmy Lydon [our old Henry Aldrich!], Dub Taylor, Royal Dano, and the fab Kathleen Freeman. Oh, it also has Richard Widmark in it. But having Alan Smithee direct is why this film is such a winner.

What's your favorite Alan Smithee directed masterpiece?

21 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The TV edit of Dune.

Yesssssssssssssss!!!!

One could really see the unique touch of Alan in that one, Lawrence.

Thanks for participating. Only really serious movie fans can name one of his films, without checking the IMDB.

Had to look up which one it would be. I do know from an old Q and A column that the airline edit of the 1991 film The Man in the Moon and (according to Wikipedia) a modified cut of 1992's Scent of a Woman and a TV cut of 1999's The Insider carry it. So one of those three, because in their full form, they are very good films.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

While I know I've seen some Alan Smithee movies, I'm hard-pressed to remember which ones off the top of my head. Does anyone know what the very first one was? When did the use of this name start, anyway, and where the heck did the name come from?

According to IMDB:

Born in 1967, the same year he directed his first picture, Death of a Gunfighter (1969). Restricted by Directors Guild of America rules to certain "genres" of film, i.e., those on which the other directors have functioned, but from which they wish to be disassociated. Gained strong reviews for his initial film: "Sharply directed by Allen Smithee who has an adroit facility for scanning faces and extracting sharp background detail", (New York Times); "Smithee's direction keeps the action taut and he draws convincing portrayals from the supporting cast", (Variety).

And the Eric Idle character in Joe Ezsterhas' "Burn, Hollywood, Burn" is unrelated.

15 hours ago, EricJ said:

According to IMDB:

And the Eric Idle character in Joe Ezsterhas' "Burn, Hollywood, Burn" is unrelated.

Yeah, great research there, Buzzkill.

As I psychically predicted in my earlier post, someone just had to go look it up on the IMDB.

Well, there's always one in any group I guess...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings