Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Madame X" (1929)

Leo does roar, though it isnt one of the usual-sounding roars. It has a very strange sound, almost more instrumental than animal. A very muffled early-talkie sounding roar.

On another note I wish TCM would show the 1929 Mary Dugan sometime. I had heard there was some legal difficulties, but I am dying to see it. As a Norma fan, it is one of her talkies that I have yet to see.

> {quote:title=goldensilents wrote:}{quote}

> That wasn't a roar, it sounded like a muffled moan.

Well, you're getting close.

In the early days of sound, MGM wanted audiences to hear Leo the lion roar, but at the time -- well, let's say that conditions were not favorable to record an actual lion's roar. So they recruited a Los Angeles radio actor named H. Bradford Barker, who specialized in animal sounds, to imitate a lion's roar for the MGM microphones. (About the same time, Barker also did the crowing for the Pathe rooster.) MGM continued to use the Barker lion's roar well into 1930.

I had often wondered about Leo's insipid moan in the early MGM talkies, now I know.

This morning our family cat was making a nuisance of herself on my home office table. I picked her up to put her on the floor. She hissed and growled at me and then attempted to bite me. This is not such a rare event.

Our cat's growel is a more realistic lion roar than the moan MGM used in its early talkies.

I'm a fan of early talkies, hence I am . . .

TalkieTime