Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A film TCM has aired a million times but you've still never seen it

TopBilled

4 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

According to JustWatch.com it is only available to rent or own with Apple iTunes. I have no idea, but guess it is nice.https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/green-dolphin-street

Thanks. It's not on TCM's schedule in the months ahead. But I do have a copy of it. I just never took the time to watch it. I think I was afraid it would just be another overblown melodrama with Lana Turner. 

Believe it or not, I still haven't gotten around to watching CITIZEN KANE. 

I really REALLY want to see it, considering its reputation. Even if I don't like it, at least I would like to be able to say I finally got to see it. Though I suspect it will be on again before I know it.

6 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I really REALLY want to see it, considering its reputation. Even if I don't like it, at least I would like to be able to say I finally got to see it. Though I suspect it will be on again before I know it.

CITIZEN KANE is airing on the 27th of August on TCM, as part of the tribute for Agnes Moorehead.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

CITIZEN KANE is airing on the 27th of August on TCM, as part of the tribute for Agnes Moorehead.

"Rosebud". I have not watched it from start to finish. I know it is famous, but starts off boring for me. Then again, it isn't a musical. No singing or dancing. How can you call it a movie. Grin!

5 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

"Rosebud". I have not watched it from start to finish. I know it is famous, but starts off boring for me. Then again, it isn't a musical. No singing or dancing. How can you call it a movie. Grin!

Possible remake...KANE THE MUSICAL at a theater near you.

3 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I probably can beat that. I almost can't admit this but I saw Casablanca for the very first time a few days ago. When I was young and in college a professor teaching a beginner's Shakespeare course made his patented opening class speech by warning his green impressionable students, to wit, if you're here and doubting all the noise about how good the Bard is and you are determined to find something wrong with him that everyone else missed, forget it, you won't find anything. He's that good. That's what came to mind after watching Casablanca. I don't remember being so immediately hooked and so consistently held throughout any movie before. It is as close to flawless than any film in my memory. I've been thinking about writing about this on a review thread here on the Boards. Not a review, but a simple catalogue of my considerable enthusiasms. Don't even ask why so long as I will not be able to conceive an answer. And to think I'm old enough to be dead. I could have missed it.

Watch Green Dolphin Street. It's been awhile but I remember enjoying. It's a rather wild story. I read the novel in French for a Reading Group (before I even knew that a movie existed) but I cheated and read most of it in English. I was still in the French phase when the surprise hit and that made it all the more dramatic. Warning: Don't read a synopsis first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of these posts are leaving me in stunned near-silence!

I've seen Casblanca and Citizen Kane probably more than a hundred times each.

I haven't seen Green Dolphin StreetThe Women also immediately comes to mind. King Solomon's Mine I guess I've never really watched, just bits and pieces. Quo Vadis? same. If I ever have the time or energy, I'd like to scroll through moviecollectoroh's database and figure out what's the most-aired TCM film that I've never seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

It helps if you dig up either PBS's "The Battle Over Citizen Kane" documentary (on the disk?), or at least Liev Schrieber in the dramatized "RKO 281".  After that, you can't take your eyes off of Welles.  :)

As for me, I think I've seen only ONE Errol Flynn movie in my life, and that the obvious one.  Keep forgetting to look up The Sea Hawk at the library.

I would like to see a list of oft-shown titles before I could pick one out. There are a number of much-ballyhooed foreign films that I haven't caught up with yet, like Last Year at Marienbad, or The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, but I don't know that either has been on TCM.

I certainly thought these two films might have routinely gotten a foreign films spotlight on TCM, but it appears Last Year at Marienbad has aired only once on TCM, way back in 2000, while Garden of the Fitzi-Continis has never aired. I too am woefully behind the curve on many of the most famous foreign movies of all time and haven't seen either of thee movies. Years ago, I learned more about the twist or puzzle behind Marienbad than I wanted to in an article I read, and haven't really been clamoring to see it since then, as I already feel I know too much. But I should still probably seek it out.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

A few years ago for me it was Singing In The Rain.  I avoided it for years solely because of this dumb looking poster.  Great movie.

http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/singin-in-the-rain-bad%20poster.jpg

Why would the poster keep you from seeing it? Seems fairly harmless to me.

19 hours ago, TopBilled said:

There's a Lana Turner movie I still have never seen ...I think I recorded it long ago...just never got around to watching it.

Am I missing anything good?

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 4.03.46 PM.jpg

It's kind of soapy but with seasoned performers like Gladys Cooper, Dame May Whitty, Edmund Gwenn, Angela's mother Moyna MacGill, and Frank Morgan, how can you go wrong. Plus Van Heflin is always worth watching and Lana is well, Lana and does fine. I say...watch it, and give us your opinion afterwards.

• Like 1

Just now, CaveGirl said:

It's kind of soapy but with seasoned performers like Gladys Cooper, Dame May Whitty, Edmund Gwenn, Angela's mother Moyna MacGill, and Frank Morgan, how can you go wrong. Plus Van Heflin is always worth watching and Lana is well, Lana and does fine. I say...watch it, and give us your opinion afterwards.

Thanks. I shall do that.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Beth, this is unacceptable! Charles Foster Kane is going to put you in his basement fireplace with a certain snow toy, if you don't get on to watching this film asap. What if the world ends tomorrow or Kim starts sending his nuclear projectiles all over the US map? Maybe you're not in the US, so don't care, but I care. I'm dying to hear what you think of "CK" as a first time viewer. Please share your review with us, when you see it and tell us what you think about Rosebud. 

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, CaveGirl said:

Beth, this is unacceptable! Charles Foster Kane is going to put you in his basement fireplace with a certain snow toy, if you don't get on to watching this film asap. What if the world ends tomorrow or Kim starts sending his nuclear projectiles all over the US map? Maybe you're not in the US, so don't care, but I care. I'm dying to hear what you think of "CK" as a first time viewer. Please share your review with us, when you see it and tell us what you think about Rosebud. 

I promise to watch it the next time it's on. I am dying of curiosity to see it.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I just finished White Christmas for the first time. I don't know how often it plays on TCM being a Paramount movie, but it is arguably the most famous American film that I had not seen before.

While Holiday Inn has played about three times in the last couple of years, it's been 12 years since White Christmas aired on TCM.

Hey, I didn't know White Christmas was directed by Michael Curtiz! Is there anything that guy didn't do? Would have been cool if it had been included in his recent tribute.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

While Holiday Inn has played about three times in the last couple of years, it's been 12 years since White Christmas aired on TCM.

Hey, I didn't know White Christmas was directed by Michael Curtiz! Is there anything that guy didn't do? Would have been cool if it had been included in his recent tribute.

White Christmas was one of Curtiz first films he directed after his long term contract with Warner Bros. ended.  

It may not have been included in his recent tribute because it is a Paramount film.

17 hours ago, jimmymac21 said:

Citizen Kane isn't a musical, that's true.  But no singing or dancing?  I beg to differ:

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

I just finished White Christmas for the first time. I don't know how often it plays on TCM being a Paramount movie, but it is arguably the most famous American film that I had not seen before.

What did you think of it? Something you'd watch again?

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings