Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This particular Backlot Commercial is driving me crazy

ChristineHoard

I'll admit I watch a lot of  the Backlot and Wine Club commercials (although, please, TCM, make some new ones and rotate them) as the price I pay to enjoy the films I love but this one Backlot commercial is really bugging me so please indulge me while I get this out of my system:  it's the trip to the movie vaults at the Library of Congress.  I think it is wonderful to do this but during the commercial somebody yells, "'Tour group coming through!"  It just bugs me; the person sounds obnoxious.  If it's a Library of Congress staff member, fine, so be it.  But if it's some Backlot member, it just sounds rude like "We're here.  Get out of our way."  Couldn't he just have said "Hello" or "Excuse us" instead of sounding like some self-important nutty tourist?  This may be nit-picky but I had to vent and thanks for reading.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No, I noticed it and it bugs me too. Like he's a bigshot because he pays eighty something dollars a year to TCM. While we're on the subject of Backlot stuff that bothers us, what about those TCM shoppe commercials with Backlot members who obviously have more dollars than sense? They are trying to get me to purchase overpriced goods with stupidly high shipping costs when I can get the same stuff at Amazon?

• Like 5

4 hours ago, calvinnme said:

No, I noticed it and it bugs me too. Like he's a bigshot because he pays eighty something dollars a year to TCM. While we're on the subject of Backlot stuff that bothers us, what about those TCM shoppe commercials with Backlot members who obviously have more dollars than sense? They are trying to get me to purchase overpriced goods with stupidly high shipping costs when I can get the same stuff at Amazon?

calvinnme & sewhite2000:  Thanks for your feedback.  I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this.

I've seen those ads where Backlot members host movie parties and they all order the same products:  the blanket, 4 glasses and the popcorn popper.  Does everyone hosting a party need a TCM blanket?  The one that cracks me up is the lady having her guests dress in 1930's style clothes to watch DEATH ON THE NILE.  Sorry lady, but personally I prefer to watch movies at home in my everyday clothes.  The popcorn popper does fit with the home viewing experience, so I get that tie-in.  

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

calvinnme & sewhite2000:  Thanks for your feedback.  I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing this.

I've seen those ads where Backlot members host movie parties and they all order the same products:  the blanket, 4 glasses and the popcorn popper.  Does everyone hosting a party need a TCM blanket?  The one that cracks me up is the lady having her guests dress in 1930's style clothes to watch DEATH ON THE NILE.  Sorry lady, but personally I prefer to watch movies at home in my everyday clothes.  The popcorn popper does fit with the home viewing experience, so I get that tie-in.  

AND that one makes me ill because I REALLY AM CLOSE TO POSITIVE that DEATH ON THE NILE is set in the 1920's....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

I actually looked up where this lady lives - just the neighborhood. I live in the same metro area, and people in that particular county/neighborhood are often over the top affluent kooks. Not everybody, but a lot of them. So when I saw that,I was not surprised that she would turn something that should be just a casual event into a cotillion. I was also not surprised that she probably paid three times what she needed to pay for a popcorn popper and never gave it a second thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I'll admit I watch a lot of  the Backlot and Wine Club commercials (although, please, TCM, make some new ones and rotate them) as the price I pay to enjoy the films I love but this one Backlot commercial is really bugging me so please indulge me while I get this out of my system:  it's the trip to the movie vaults at the Library of Congress.  I think it is wonderful to do this but during the commercial somebody yells, "'Tour group coming through!"  It just bugs me; the person sounds obnoxious.  If it's a Library of Congress staff member, fine, so be it.  But if it's some Backlot member, it just sounds rude like "We're here.  Get out of our way."  Couldn't he just have said "Hello" or "Excuse us" instead of sounding like some self-important nutty tourist?  This may be nit-picky but I had to vent and thanks for reading.

I'm chuckling. I think when things like this start to bother one, it might be due to Backlot Overload Disorder.

There is no rehab center dealing with this malady yet, but just wait. A few more wine commercials showing the popcorn bowl and the lady who looks like she is channeling Sarah Jessica Parker, and we all may end up in the isolation ward.

Possibly the only solution is to join the crowd and pay to be in Backlot? I've already been to see the film stock stored by the Library of Congress so I'm off the hook about joining up mayhaps.

It coulda been worse, the Backlot leader might have been shouting out "Gangway! Top of the World Ma!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

AND that one makes me ill because I REALLY AM CLOSE TO POSITIVE that DEATH ON THE NILE is set in the 1920's....

I'm not sure, but I think you're right. If they were going down the Nile in the 1930s they might run into Mussolini's troops invading Ethiopia. Fending off the fascists would totally detract from the mystery would it not?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, calvinnme said:

I have some lovely actual vintage noir items, that I will sell to the highest bidder. Corde purses, Swank cuff links, Eisenberg rhinestone pins that even a clothes horse like Gloria Grahame would be proud to be seen in, actual Art Deco type office lighting, some nice Elgin wrist watches fit for a Robert Mitchum. Tell me what you want and you don't have to just buy replicas when the real thing is available. For a price though...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Chronologically I think it was first published in the late 1930's but that does not mean it was not set in the 1920's as you say. I only know that since it is in a boxed set of Christie's tales and in that position timewise amongst the volumes.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I actually looked up where this lady lives - just the neighborhood. I live in the same metro area, and people in that particular county/neighborhood are often over the top affluent kooks. Not everybody, but a lot of them. So when I saw that,I was not surprised that she would turn something that should be just a casual event into a cotillion. I was also not surprised that she probably paid three times what she needed to pay for a popcorn popper and never gave it a second thought.

Now that you've brought her up, I won't rag on her party and tell her that she can't dress up for a film, or invite guests to do the same but I do take umbrage at the bit where she says something about "movies are made to share or bring people together" or whatever, as if one cannot watch a movie alone or they are not made to be watched in solitary. That's bunk! Though it's fun to watch in a group, movies also can be enjoyable watched alone and sometimes better, since one does not have others talking, chowing down making noise with their popcorn, or snuggling up under the blanket, and getting fuzz balls all over one's white chenille couch. If you have to have a group to watch some movie, then you're not a real movie fan. Yes...I went there! I'll say it again, if a movie came out I wanted to see, and no one else did..I'd go by myself, and I don't need a group to attend with me, since I'm not a baby who needs affirmation. Any condemnation I get from spitting this out, I'm sure I deserve but it's still the truth. And I doubt I'd invite a group over to my house to watch Pasolini's "Salo" and serve that popcorn or offer a group blanket to the spectators for fear of what might occur under the covers.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, CaveGirl said:

Now that you've brought her up, I won't rag on her party and tell her that she can't dress up for a film, or invite guests to do the same but I do take umbrage at the bit where she says something about "movies are made to share or bring people together" or whatever, as if one cannot watch a movie alone or they are not made to be watched in solitary. That's bunk! Though it's fun to watch in a group, movies also can be enjoyable watched alone and sometimes better, since one does not have others talking, chowing down making noise with their popcorn, or snuggling up under the blanket, and getting fuzz balls all over one's white chenille couch. If you have to have a group to watch some movie, then you're not a real movie fan. Yes...I went there! I'll say it again, if a movie came out I wanted to see, and no one else did..I'd go by myself, and I don't need a group to attend with me, since I'm not a baby who needs affirmation. Any condemnation I get from spitting this out, I'm sure I deserve but it's still the truth. And I doubt I'd invite a group over to my house to watch Pasolini's "Salo" and serve that popcorn or offer a group blanket to the spectators for fear of what might occur under the covers. 

I know what you mean. Not so much now, but when I was younger and living in Dallas I often had to go see what was considered "art house" by my friends alone. I saw "My Left Foot" and "Amadeus"- before the academy nominations - alone and thoroughly enjoyed both. I also went to animation festivals alone and got to see the Simpsons before they were ever on in America. Fun times.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

I know what you mean. Not so much now, but when I was younger and living in Dallas I often had to go see what was considered "art house" by my friends alone. I saw "My Left Foot" and "Amadeus"- before the academy nominations - alone and thoroughly enjoyed both. I also went to animation festivals alone and got to see the Simpsons before they were ever on in America. Fun times.

Me, too.  In my younger days when I lived in Chicago there were a lot of movie theaters a short walk or bus ride away and I often went to movies alone especially on Saturday afternoons.  The only negative time was when I went to a Dave Cronenberg double feature at a downtown theater.  A guy sitting next to me decided to do more with himself than just watch the movie so I had to move.  Ah, big city living.

Now I live alone so if I needed people around me to watch TCM I'd be out of luck.  Movies can be enjoyed solo or with people, on TV screens of varying sizes or in theaters.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Well, we are in agreement about the BACKLOT COMMERCIALS.  It is so phony.  Why would they receive the same perks for doing the commercials for Backlot?  If they are rewarded with the same cheap products from TCM, wouldn't they want a better reward for doing those crappy commercials.  Essentially, they are doing a commercial for next to nothing, which only TCM will get the monitary reward.

I agree with the rest of you  that the philosophy of these commercials are so bogus. Watch these items go on discount, which many of TCM products eventually do.

40 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

See now...if a great poster like Calvin went to a movie alone, and not in a group, then my point is proven.

I remember once wanting to go see Robert Altman's "Short Cuts" and one friend in my group said "Uh, now I think you might want to rethink this as I've heard this is a very dark and disturbing film." I said "Uh, yeah...that's why I wanted to see it, duh!"

I ended up going alone and had a fine time. I also think I might have seen "Mulholland Drive" by myself. I probably am not consciousness raised enough to go to the drive-in alone yet, as that would be just weird...haha!

I do enjoy seeing a film with a date, a friend or a group, but it doesn't always have to be with others, to enjoy a movie. Just like one can go to a museum alone, or a flea market, or shopping or whatever. Constant companionship is not necessary except for the lonely. Grow up, do what you want to do regardless if you are the only one who wants to do it. Climb Mount Everest by yourself, if that's interesting to you, is all I'm saying. And thanks Calvin for your post!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

Me, too.  In my younger days when I lived in Chicago there were a lot of movie theaters a short walk or bus ride away and I often went to movies alone especially on Saturday afternoons.  The only negative time was when I went to a Dave Cronenberg double feature at a downtown theater.  A guy sitting next to me decided to do more with himself than just watch the movie so I had to move.  Ah, big city living.

Now I live alone so if I needed people around me to watch TCM I'd be out of luck.  Movies can be enjoyed solo or with people, on TV screens of varying sizes or in theaters.

I totally get your drift, Christine. I too had a similar experience but it was with a girlfriend. We were in New York and wanted to see a movie at Radio City Music Hall. I had just bought a big bottle of pickles, I have no idea why. The giant theatre was almost empty, being a weekday and early afternoon. We pick two seats that are hundreds of seats away from the few people there. Immediately some dweeb sits down right next to me, not even one seat over and as the movie is starting begins to take his hand and slowly, very slowly move it toward me at mid-chest area. I finally had had enough and whacked him with my hidden 16-ounce pickle jar, I had hidden in a bag on the floor. We then got away and finally got to enjoy the movie. Well, that's New York for ya, I guess.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I'm just really impressed they could get Sarah Jessica Parker to do a wine club promo... ?

M7V5ybZ.jpg

You noticed it too!

Maybe they can have a complete impersonator cast from the show "Square Pegs" on the next wine commercial?

I bet those are fake lemons. It might be fun to caption this photo. 

I think the guy is saying " They say cyanide is undetectable in this very strong Merlot." Then she says "Really? Does your wife drink much Merlot?" And then Muller says "I think Merlot played a really dark city dame in "Wuthering Heights" with that Oliver guy." 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, calvinnme said:

I'm not sure, but I think you're right. If they were going down the Nile in the 1930s they might run into Mussolini's troops invading Ethiopia. Fending off the fascists would totally detract from the mystery would it not?

But, OH I BET Bette could've handled a rifle!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Muller is my favorite on TCM. I find the TCM self-promos are almost as frustrating as traditional commercials might be.

Full disclosure: This idea comes from speedracer5, and had to do with my dislike for TCM on-air talent. First, we did not agree. Then I found out she is a female. I found a Labrador to lick the egg off my face.

The idea is to ignore what is on TCM that bothers you. I now agree. It is simple. Have Siri, Alexa, Cortana, or Google set a timer on your phone or tablet. Listen to, or watch, something to fill that time. Done. Switch back to TMC and enjoy.

I found this channel:

http://escapestv.com/

47 minutes ago, jimmymac21 said:

Muller is my favorite on TCM. I find the TCM self-promos are almost as frustrating as traditional commercials might be.

Full disclosure: This idea comes from speedracer5, and had to do with my dislike for TCM on-air talent. First, we did not agree. Then I found out she is a female. I found a Labrador to lick the egg off my face.

The idea is to ignore what is on TCM that bothers you. I now agree. It is simple. Have Siri, Alexa, Cortana, or Google set a timer on your phone or tablet. Listen to, or watch, something to fill that time. Done. Switch back to TMC and enjoy.

I found this channel:

http://escapestv.com/

You lead a charmed life, Jimmy!

Live and let live is a good motto...for sure.

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

...now, if they want to air a promo about what sort of wine and h'ors d'ouvres to serve with MANDINGO, i'm down.

Or how to dress (or not dress, as the case may be)! #perryking

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

Sorry lady, but personally I prefer to watch movies at home in my everyday clothes.

I prefer to watch in my birthday suit.  ;)

Or to quote Richard Dreyfuss in The Goodbye Girl, "I am decent.  I also happen to be naked."

• Haha 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings