Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

James FitzPatrick TravelTalks shorts

The TCM Elves haven't gotten to updating the shorties schedule past Thursday yet, but I'll try to catch them and add them in the post below (so they are all together).

Thanks for staying on top of things! Much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So far...

http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/tcm-short-subject-schedule-starting-september-1st-2015

Friday the 4th

8:35 AM PST, 9:35 AM MST, 10:35 AM CST, 11:35 AM EST

Madeira: Isle Of Romance / October 1, 1938

Madeira, A Garden In The Sea (1931) marked FitzPatrick’s first visit to the Portuguese archipelago. Now he returns with the Technicolor cameras.

7:51 PM PST, 8:51 PM MST, 9:51 PM CST, 10:51 PM EST

Colorful Islands, Madagascar And Seychelles / November 17, 1936

Saturday the 5th

8:50 AM PST, 9:50 AM MST, 10:50 AM CST, 11:50 AM EST

Land Of The Incas / December 25, 1937

Sunday the 6th

8:49 AM PST, 9:48 AM MST, 10:49 AM CST, 11:49 AM EST

Cape Breton Island / May 8, 1948

Saturday the 12th

6:44 AM PST, 7:44 AM MST, 8:44 AM CST, 9:44 AM EST

A Day On Treasure Island (Golden Gate International Exposition in San Francisco)  / September 2, 1939

Sunday the 13th

1:05 PM PST, 2:05 PM MST, 3:05 PM CST, 4:05 PM EST

Picturesque New Zealand / January 26, 1952

Monday the 14th

2:50 PM PST, 3:50 PM MST, 4:50 PM CST, 5:50 PM EST

Yosemite The Magnificent / May 10, 1941 

Wednesday the 16th

4:35 AM PST, 5:35 AM MST, 6:35 AM CST, 7:35 AM EST

Romantic Nevada / April 24, 1943

• Like 1

Belatedly saw LAND OF THE INCAS in its entirety. This was clearly one of the high water marks of the series with Winton Hoch's superb cinematography of Machu Picchu and more close-ups of peoples' faces than usual. Even the llamas got more attention than the critters in other Traveltalks. Also a very nice slushy orchestra score.

It is fair to say that the thirties were this series' best decade (both black and white and Technicolor entries) before the music got more "canned", FitzPatrick sounded more tired and the 16mm Kodachrome "blown up" to 35mm Technicolor became the norm (sometimes looking good if there was nice contrast, other times a bit too grainy). There were a few good ones postwar, among my favorites being BEAUTIFUL BRAZIL, but the series was clearly being outdone by the superior Fox Movietone Adventures and Warner Brothers Technicolor Specials & Sports Parades of the forties and fifties.

1937 was a pretty good year for FitzPatrick though: HONG KONG: THE HUB OF THE ORIENT is fascinating in how "prehistoric" the city looks compared to today, COPENHAGEN takes time out with some "human interest" material about the city's obsession with bicycles (cheaper than cars). ROCKY MOUNTAIN GRANDEUR boasts some of the best sunset shots, while NATURAL WONDERS OF THE WEST shows an incomplete Mt. Rushmore.

• Like 1

Belatedly saw LAND OF THE INCAS in its entirety. This was clearly one of the high water marks of the series with Winton Hoch's superb cinematography of Machu Picchu and more close-ups of peoples' faces than usual. Even the llamas got more attention than the critters in other Traveltalks. Also a very nice slushy orchestra score.

It is fair to say that the thirties were this series' best decade (both black and white and Technicolor entries) before the music got more "canned", FitzPatrick sounded more tired and the 16mm Kodachrome "blown up" to 35mm Technicolor became the norm (sometimes looking good if there was nice contrast, other times a bit too grainy). There were a few good ones postwar, among my favorites being BEAUTIFUL BRAZIL, but the series was clearly being outdone by the superior Fox Movietone Adventures and Warner Brothers Technicolor Specials & Sports Parades of the forties and fifties.

1937 was a pretty good year for FitzPatrick though: HONG KONG: THE HUB OF THE ORIENT is fascinating in how "prehistoric" the city looks compared to today, COPENHAGEN takes time out with some "human interest" material about the city's obsession with bicycles (cheaper than cars). ROCKY MOUNTAIN GRANDEUR boasts some of the best sunset shots, while NATURAL WONDERS OF THE WEST shows an incomplete Mt. Rushmore.

Have all Fitzpatrick's short Traveltalks aired on TCM? Or are there some that are unavailable?

Farther down on this thread, folks have made lists of what has been shown and what hasn't. Hopefully this looooong post will get us "straight" with Fitz Boy.

MickeyFender helped me complete a "checklist" a while back on the other forum of all of the Traveltalks that he made for three major studios (along with a few independents post-1929):

http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/for-fitzpatrick-fanatics-a-quickie-a-to-l-traveltalk-checklist

http://fan.tcm.com/blogpost/for-fitzpatrick-fanatics-a-quickie-m-to-z-traveltalk-checklist

Simply put...

TCM has aired practically every, if not every, TECHNICOLOR MGM Traveltalk released between September 1934 (HOLLAND IN TULIP TIME) and February 1954 (GLIMPSES OF WESTERN GERMANY). Not shown yet are the select few shorts he made for Warner Brothers, although I am sure TCM could show these sometime in the future, like PICTURESQUE PORTUGAL (1954).

MGM actually started distributing his films, in black and white, in 1931. He replaced Burton Holmes, who handled the studio's travelogue one-reelers during the earlier 1930-31 season. Previous FitzPatrick "Traveltalks" shorts were sold on a states rights basis... the very first, being FROM BARCELONA TO VALENCIA, reviewed by FILM DAiLY on July 5, 1929.

While none of his black and white Traveltalks have been aired on TCM, Kino Lober DID release a VHS of many of his early titles (which I own somewhere... floating around at home):

http://www.amazon.com/Fitzpatrick-Traveltalks-1930-1933-VHS-James/dp/6304981120

Sadly Kino did not reissue them on DVD (and you will pay plenty for the VHS... ouch!!), but many can be found either on youtube or the Travel Film Archive: http://www.travelfilmarchive.com/results.php?filmmaker_id=9

Curiously, his Paramount "VistaVision Visits" (i.e. he did a couple, while others in the series were produced by Jack Eaton, who also handled Paramount's "Sportlight" shorties) have yet to see the light of day. One of FitzPatrick's titles, VISTAVISION VISITS NORWAY, was shown alongside WHITE CHRISTMAS in theaters in 1954, but Paramount never showed interest in reissuing it as a DVD "extra" like Warner and Disney often do with their DVDs.

For those interested in FitzPatrick's pre-Traveltalk career... yes, I know you are curious! You are!! You are!! However, all joking aside, I have NO CLUE what all is available for viewing here...

-"Juvenile Comedies" made for Unicorn Film (13 silent one-reelers, 1915-1916)

-"Kineto Review" (his very first documentary series, for Charles Urban, 12 silent shorts appear to have been released in 1921-22)

-"Great American Authors" (also for Kineto/Urban, again... 12 total for same period: 1921-22)

-"Famous Melodies" (for Pathé, 7 silent shorts in 1925-26)

-"Famous Music Masters" (independent productions, 9 silent shorts in 1926-27)

-"In A Music Shoppe" (for Fox, a two-reeler in 1928)

-"Melody Masters" (Paramount sound series, 5 total released early 1929)

-"Movie Horoscope" (first being PEOPLE BORN IN AUGUST, 8 known to be released per FILM DAILY and MOTION PICTURE HERALD in 1929-30, but possibly more produced since all 12 months could have been covered)

-"Famous Music Masters" (9 newer sound shorts in 1929-30)

-"American Holidays" (9 sound shorts in 1929-30)

One curio...

MARY'S LITTLE LAMB was supposedly his very first TECHNICOLOR film (2-color process), but it is possible it was never completed or released. FILM DAILY covered its filming on April 6, 1930.

Hope y'all didn't fall asleep reading all of this. Ha ha!

• Like 1

Simply put...

TCM has aired practically every, if not every, TECHNICOLOR MGM Traveltalk released between September 1934 (HOLLAND IN TULIP TIME) and February 1954 (GLIMPSES OF WESTERN GERMANY). Not shown yet are the select few shorts he made for Warner Brothers, although I am sure TCM could show these sometime in the future, like PICTURESQUE PORTUGAL (1954).

What excellent information. Thanks for being so thorough (and for answering my question so quickly!).

• Like 1

I did go a little overboard, didn't I? :wacko:

Actually that site listed below...

http://www.travelfilmarchive.com/results.php?filmmaker_id=9

... includes some of his "Famous Music Masters" series: FRANZ LITZ (completed November 3, 1929), MENDELSSOHN and JOHANNES BRAHAMS (both released about November 24, 1929), CHOPIN and HANDEL (both released March 18, 1930) as well as two 1948 home movies of his ("Jim and Lesley FitzPatrick #1" and "Aboard The S.S. Del Norte"). Fun "retro" stuff to watch...

The MENDELSSOHN film is somewhat interesting in that FitzPatrick essentially remade it in Technicolor as an MGM "Miniature" in 1939, MENDELSSOHN'S WEDDING MARCH (currently available on the Warner Archive DVD CLASSIC SHORTS FROM THE DREAM FACTORY VOL. 2). Not sure how many Traveltalks used that popular tune (I think I remember hearing it in at least two), but Fitz Boy had it playing in his head constantly.

• Like 1

Got at least two this upcoming weekend: Colorful Curacao and Serene Siam 

Jlewis,

Were any of these ever released on home video back in the day? Even perhaps on VHS? Not sure if I asked you about this before...apologies if this is a repeat question.

Jlewis,

Were any of these ever released on home video back in the day? Even perhaps on VHS? Not sure if I asked you about this before...apologies if this is a repeat question.

As mentioned below, a cluster of the black & whites were released on VHS (Kino) and cost a pretty dollar on Amazon and ebay.

Warner DVD issued a few as "extras" with features that you can still SOMETIMES find on the Warner site or TCM's store... or search for "out of print" on ebay. Also a few of these features were reissued as part of the TCM Spotlight Collections in 4-feature sets. Just search for the titles online.

I am not sure of all of them, but these were easy to find my little *notes*.. ha ha!

PARIS ON PARADE (1937) is on a deluxe version of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. I don't think it is available on all DVDs of that classic, unfortunately.

GLIMPSES OF FLORIDA (1941), the one with Ross Allen wrestling his pet gator and milking the rattlesnakes, is on BORN TO DANCE / LADY BE GOOD

CHERRY BLOSSOM TIME IN JAPAN (1936) is with CHINA SEAS (also the Jean Harlow set that includes that film)

MIGHTY MANHATTAN (1948) is with KISS ME KATE... and I *think* the BluRay version too

NIGHT DESCENDS ON TREASURE ISLAND and CAVALCADE OF SAN FRANCISCO, covering the '39-40 Golden Gate Exposition, are on SAN FRANCISCO (and any Clark Gable set including it). The latter is also on the Marx Brothers GO WEST/THE BIG STORE

LOS ANGELES: WONDER CITY OF THE WEST (1936), a favorite of many thanks to a cameo by Walt Disney, is with KATHARINE HEPBURN COLLECTION: SYLVIA SCARLETT and an earlier box set of The Marx Brothers MGM films.

MODERN NEW ORLEANS and OLD NEW ORLEANS (both 1940) are with Mario Lanza's THAT MIDNIGHT KISS / TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS

LOOKING AT LONDON (1946) is with THE THREE MUSKETEERS

GLIMPSES OF CALIFORNIA (1946) is with TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY

ROAMING THROUGH MICHIGAN is with 1950's contemporary THREE LITTLE WORDS

ROMANTIC RIVIERA (1951) is with EASY TO LOVE (Esther Williams Vol. 2 set)

LAND OF THE TAJ MAHAL (1951) is with THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937 & '52 versions)

Any others folks here can add? Obviously the Warner Archive could easily put out a set of these if somebody is willing to buy it.

• Like 1

As mentioned below, a cluster of the black & whites were released on VHS (Kino) and cost a pretty dollar on Amazon and ebay.

Warner DVD issued a few as "extras" with features that you can still SOMETIMES find on the Warner site or TCM's store... or search for "out of print" on ebay. Also a few of these features were reissued as part of the TCM Spotlight Collections in 4-feature sets. Just search for the titles online.

I am not sure of all of them, but these were easy to find my little *notes*.. ha ha!

PARIS ON PARADE (1937) is on a deluxe version of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS. I don't think it is available on all DVDs of that classic, unfortunately.

GLIMPSES OF FLORIDA (1941), the one with Ross Allen wrestling his pet gator and milking the rattlesnakes, is on BORN TO DANCE / LADY BE GOOD

CHERRY BLOSSOM TIME IN JAPAN (1936) is with CHINA SEAS (also the Jean Harlow set that includes that film)

MIGHTY MANHATTAN (1948) is with KISS ME KATE... and I *think* the BluRay version too

NIGHT DESCENDS ON TREASURE ISLAND and CAVALCADE OF SAN FRANCISCO, covering the '39-40 Golden Gate Exposition, are on SAN FRANCISCO (and any Clark Gable set including it). The latter is also on the Marx Brothers GO WEST/THE BIG STORE

LOS ANGELES: WONDER CITY OF THE WEST (1936), a favorite of many thanks to a cameo by Walt Disney, is with KATHARINE HEPBURN COLLECTION: SYLVIA SCARLETT and an earlier box set of The Marx Brothers MGM films.

MODERN NEW ORLEANS and OLD NEW ORLEANS (both 1940) are with Mario Lanza's THAT MIDNIGHT KISS / TOAST OF NEW ORLEANS

LOOKING AT LONDON (1946) is with THE THREE MUSKETEERS

GLIMPSES OF CALIFORNIA (1946) is with TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY

ROAMING THROUGH MICHIGAN is with 1950's contemporary THREE LITTLE WORDS

ROMANTIC RIVIERA (1951) is with EASY TO LOVE (Esther Williams Vol. 2 set)

LAND OF THE TAJ MAHAL (1951) is with THE PRISONER OF ZENDA (1937 & '52 versions)

Any others folks here can add? Obviously the Warner Archive could easily put out a set of these if somebody is willing to buy it.

Thank you very much. As always, your information is most appreciated.

• Like 1

Thank you very much. As always, your information is most appreciated.

I'm going to go off topic here... AGAIN... :blink:

There was a nice BBC series made a decade ago on Albert Kahn, the French financier who backed the earliest Lumiere Autochrome (color still photography) series spanning the globe between 1908 and 1931. National Geographic often worked with him, when they launched their own full color (not "colored" black and white) magazine supplements starting about 1914. Kahn's camera crew also documented World War I and its devastation in "living color".

http://www.wbshop.com/product/wonderful+world+of+albert+kahn%2C+the+%28archives+of+the+planet%29+dvd+1000182912.do

http://shop.tcm.com/the-wonderful-world-of-albert-kahn-dvd/detail.php?p=516026

%22Infiniment_Indes%22_(Mus%C3%A9e_Alber

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:%22Infiniment_Indes%22_%28Mus%C3%A9e_Albert-Khan%29_%282792133135%29.jpg

If something like this is easily available on DVD through Warner's own site, I still think it would be easy for them to put out a FitzPatrick DVD as long as actual dates of the films included are listed on the jacket, just so the potential buyer knows they will be seeing 1930s locations in glorious Technicolor instead of "just old travelogues".

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Friday the 16th

11 AM PST, 12 PM MST, 1 PM CST, 2 PM EST

Visiting Italy / August 25, 1951

I think they are just plopping them at the last moment... lol!

Yes, they must be. But at least they are still airing them. TCM should devote a whole evening to these short films...why not...I think that would be fun, and maybe some history professor could sit with one of the hosts and discuss them.

Yes, they must be. But at least they are still airing them. TCM should devote a whole evening to these short films...why not...I think that would be fun, and maybe some history professor could sit with one of the hosts and discuss them.

Although the schedule may get changed later, it looks like we get A Wee Bit O' Scotland a wee bit twice one day... in case you miss the first airing.

I dunno... you think too many of them on one night might give some viewers a tummy ache? Y'know... all of that candy Technicolor-ed scenery filling the hour? Like Halloween, too many sweets at once may not be a good idea.

• Like 1